Bush Removal / Replacement

Neil Clark

You can also press out the old bush with the threaded bar, washers and socket method. However I have found that some threaded bar is such poor quality that the thread strips very easily before the bush goes in or out. Smear bush with a little washing up liquid before you try to fit the new one to help.

I tend to extract bushes as follows...

Select or buy a holesaw that fits over the inner metal tube but is smaller than the outer.... cut out the inner.

Cold chisel in the sides of the outer and then knock it out with BFH and a punch.

Can't imagine trying to do it without a vice on a sturdy bench though.

I wouldn't try a G-clamp. Even if you've got a solid one, you can't really hold it straight enough to work. A bench vice is much easier to work with but a length of threaded rod through the middle of the bush is the easiest way to keep the sockets properly aligned.

Tee Hee!  But got it done thanks to you all for the ideas and guidance you gave here.  The spare G-clamp got it started, lubrication (not Fairy Liquid), a long bolt I found in my tool box through the middle, the deep socket and some washers.  Thanks again.

IMG_5240.JPG

• Thanks 1

I don’t have a proper bench-vice either, but I do have a big variety of old bolts/washers and sockets that are used for pushing/pulling bushes. It isn’t ideal, but does manage to get most things sorted - although I do often resort to excessive blasphemy!

well done for getting there! 

........Andy