Vitesse or 2500S with kids...

hoopsontoast

Hi Guys,

A sensible question here, I am looking to get another classic later in the year, once the lockdown has eased (hopefully) and we have moved house (hopefully).

I had narrowed my choice down to a Mk2 Vitesse, 2500S Saloon or possibly a TR7 but having my sensible head on, we are looking to start a family at some point in the future, and as this will be a weekend car (longer trips away for example) it would need to be practical. This pretty much rules out the TR7 straight away.

I have had penty of experience owning classic triumphs while Single (Dolomite Sprint, 1850HL and TR7. Also a shared 13/60 with an ex girlfriend) but obviously not owned one, or used one with a young child.

How practical are older classics such as the Mk2 Vitesse or 2500S when integrating child seats for example? Or is it going to be a non-starter? My daily is a BMW E90 330i with Isofix built in so straight away, thats a doddle.

Cheers, Rob

I fitted lap seat belts in the rear of my mk 2 vitesse saloon , easy job . With the lap belts o believe you can use these in conjunction with child seats . Reasonable amount of room as well 

welcome to the forum 

Paul 

• Like 1

Hi Rob, it has to be a 2500s :)  but then again i am biased as i have one.( I would love a Vitesse but they don't do an automatic,) bags of room for a family though and you can put 3 point fixing seat belts in the rear. The Dolomite 1850 is same, but not quite as much room. Look at all of them before buying. The only downside to a Vitesse would be getting children in and out of child seats.

Tony. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, poppyman said:

Hi Rob, it has to be a 2500s :)  but then again i am biased as i have one.( I would love a Vitesse but they don't do an automatic,) bags of room for a family though and you can put 3 point fixing seat belts in the rear. The Dolomite 1850 is same, but not quite as much room. Look at all of them before buying. The only downside to a Vitesse would be getting children in and out of child seats.

Tony. 

I would lean towards a 2500S over the 1850 purely because of the straight-6 engine, having owned an 1850 and a Sprint, I found the 1850 a better day to day car due to the more relaxed torque/power band. The sprint was great, even when not running that well when hooning around but found it a bit frustrating with all the power being at the top end.

My heart says Vitesse with the ease of repair and parts availablity but head says 2500S with the space, ride comfort and refinement. 1850 could be an option I guess but I would love a Straight-6 for the torque as most of our weekend trips are motorway/A roads.

Good point on the Vitesse with the fold forward seats, I had not thought about that!

33 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I fitted lap seat belts in the rear of my mk 2 vitesse saloon , easy job . With the lap belts o believe you can use these in conjunction with child seats . Reasonable amount of room as well 

welcome to the forum 

Paul 

Thanks, looking at photos there did not seem to be many places to mount a rear seatbelt in the Vitesse, my old Sprint had seatbelts retrofitted so I assume that a 2500S would be simple to install.

rear

seat belts in a vitesse ,  yes in a saloon lap belts are easy  there are major difficulties in convertible  rear belts,  like there are none , without some serious work

child seats in a tip up seat 2 door vitesse is a challenge  

i had inertia in the back of the 2000 saloon but there is not enough room to accept  the pendlum box on the off side so reel is on the wonk  needs a rework of the shelf mounts  to be more inboard ...  on to do list 

currently  have static rear belts but they become a mess of  spare belt and not the best either 

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoopsontoast said:

I would lean towards a 2500S over the 1850 purely because of the straight-6 engine

I had an 1850 as my daily driver for a few years, then replaced it with a 2500S. I would definitely go for the 2500! Everything about it is just nicer.

In terms of child seats, either a Dolomite or one of the 2000 range has got to be a better bet than a Vitesse,for all the reasons already given. In fact, the reason I was able to buy my current Vitesse was that the previous owner had started a family and child seat requirements meant Tessa never got used. (The child in question is now at Uni... I tend to hang on to my Triumphs)

• Like 1

Some 45 years ago I fitted Britax child car seats into the Toledo we had at the time. There are lower fixing points, fixed nuts in the body, behind the rear seat and one on the parcel shelve. I added a fourth with a thick plate to carry the load. The same will be true for all the Dolomite range.

The Vitesse doesn't have any fixing for rear belts or child seats. As already said the Herald/Vitesse convertible would be a problem fixing a child seat.

Dave

• Like 1

In your position, I would choose the big saloon or estate, 2.5 litre for preference but condition is most important, and if a cracking 2000 turned up for sale, it would be well worth considering.

These cars are smooth comfortable and fairly spacious, much better than a Vitesse for back seat passengers.

Nigel

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nigel Clark said:

much better than a Vitesse for back seat passengers

Vitesse or Herald saloon back seats are ok for children or small adults, provided the front seat occupants are also small.  The convertibles....... medium sized dogs, small children (under 12), or double amputees.  

On either, even assuming you could come up with a suitable fixing methods for child seats (actually reasonably easy on a saloon I think, not so much on a convertible), loading the child in would be a chore.  Any two door is. We sold a perfectly good 2 door Golf GTI in favour of a 4 door when kids came along.

To prove that you can use a Vitesse convertible to transport a family of 4 to Switzerland and back.........

1964894804_switzerland683s.jpg.8f1937c34dd33fcd87ea9e8ac314b470.jpg

Boys aged 9 & 12.  Didn't whinge much bless 'em! (They have lap belts)

555659836_switzerland684s.jpg.fdb00e8c28565f9e5269eb9d4f5a07d6.jpg

Snug.  Camping gear NOT an option!

Much as I love my Vitesse, either a Dolly or big saloon would be far more practical.

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hoopsontoast said:

Thanks guys, it sounds like the Vitesse will be a non-starter then from a practicality view, the 2500S seems a much more sensible choice!

Much appreciated!

If you can find a 2000 with power steering? so much the better, they are heavy when parking etc. But then i am an old git :) 

Tony.

10 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

To prove that you can use a Vitesse convertible to transport a family of 4 to Switzerland and back.........

Hats off to long-time Northern Ireland member Paul Robinson who attended Stafford in a 1200 coupe with a family of four and full camping gear. THAT was impressive!

I always needed an estate car, as much for the spares I brought home as for the stuff I brought with me; hence if I was buying a big Triumph I'd go for the estate.

We just about manage with 2 adults and 2 "kids" in the Dolomite on classic car events. But the 2 kids in question are my 6 foot something son and my 19 year old daughter... so no car seats or booster seats required. Previous owner had fitted 2x3point inertia seatbelts in the back of the Dolomite, which is nice!

I recon you can't go wrong with a 2000/2500 as a family classic. Space, accessibility etc etc, everything you need!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I recon you can't go wrong with a 2000/2500 as a family classic. Space, accessibility etc etc, everything you need!

Just bear in mind that while in width and height, by modern standards they are small to tiny, they are long. This may challenge your garage....... Caught me out!

Nick

36 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Just bear in mind that while in width and height, by modern standards they are small to tiny, they are long.

When I had my PI estate, I parked it at work one day next to a colleague's Porsche - a 992, I think, but I can never figure out how they number the more recent versions of the 911. Anyway. The Porsche is the same length as the PI.

5 hours ago, NonMember said:

When I had my PI estate, I parked it at work one day next to a colleague's Porsche - a 992, I think, but I can never figure out how they number the more recent versions of the 911. Anyway. The Porsche is the same length as the PI.

I was just looking up online and I was quite supprised on the size. My daily is a BMW E90 330i Saloon, which is 4.52m long, and the 2500S Estate is exactly the same!

44 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Think the Mk2 saloons may be a bit longer than the estates 4.65m? As long as my A6.

Nick

The facelift saloons are longer than the early ones because of the rubber strip on the bumpers...... Don't ask me how i found that out  :( 

Tony.