Bonnet underseal woes 😔

Just looking for a bit of advice regarding my 1500 bonnet.

Im currently in the middle of the joyous task of removing some sort of rubber underseal off the underside of my bonnet.

Certain parts of the bonnet am going to be nigh on impossible to get in to scrape off, for example the parts of the bonnet that am underneath the inner arches (Picture attached)

My questions am

1, will primer/stone chip adhere to the remaing underseal that i dont manage to get off?

2, what is peoples opinions on covering the whole of the underside of the bonnet in stone chip before sprayong top coat colour? Initially i was only going to do inside the arches with stone chip but there is that many sections where i wont be able to get all the underseal of it may level it out slightly and leave a better finish than just paint.

Just looking for peoples opinions on it as like i said it wasn't my first option

20200527_175656.jpg

I found that white spirit or brush cleaner is very good at dissolving old underseal. It is very messy but usually takes you back to the original paint underneath.

Failing that, a hot air gun and scraper will shift anything not touched by the white spirit.

Karl

How are you removing it?

In the past I have used white spirit and scrapping it off. White spirit if left, long enough, you can wipe it off.

If you have enough money you could have professionally stripped.

If you painted over the undersea you may end up with the top cracking.

Graham

I spent many miserable hours scraping bituminous “underseal” off the inside of my GT6 bonnet.

The ancestry of the person who thought it a good idea to spray it on was questioned often ..... and always found wanting. Really wanted to give him a good slapping!

What I learned:

Power tools just smear it around. Best done with scrapers or even screwdrivers.

It comes off much easier in really cold weather as it’s brittle and you get bigger flakes. (Not best news at this point in the year )

With the headlight bowls out you can actually reach nearly everything. If you’ve got long arms, reasonably supple joints and moderately severe OCD driving you on.

White spirit dissolves any residue.

Nick

P1170250s.jpg.26d37f501f5adf36f4306a6c29d22ba2.jpg

P1170251s.jpg.fe56bbd289a9197e23d44267f2f613fd.jpg

Thanks guys. I had the top sandblasted so i asked the guys to have a go at the underside, it took some off but they said the sand was just bouncing off it in the most part.

I have removed the light bowels so i can SEE everywhere but i think im going to struggle to get in there with a scraper with any sort of force.

Il give the white spirit a blast. 

Iv also been advised that proper old style paint stripper is good, and also petrol...any1 had any dealings with either of these on underseal.

Also whats your thoughts on stone chipping the whole underside of the bonnet instead of just inside the arches?

36 minutes ago, chrisbladen said:

Iv also been advised that proper old style paint stripper is good

Personally I hate the stuff especially in areas that are hard to get at. It's hard to remove after application, and will hang about in seams and crevices for ages. Very very messy and not a great finish.

You can stonechip the entire bonnet no problem; it's up to you and will be out of sight, but bear in mind the engine heat so get something that will tolerate extremes. I just use it in wheelarches and on leading edges such as the front chassis outriggers, and rear suspension tunnel, but I don't see why it can't be used over larger areas.

10 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I don't see why it can't be used over larger areas

When I rebuilt my GT6 I used Stonechip as a base almost everywhere on the body except the 'glossy' topside.  It has lasted well these past 15 years of use, particularly the floors, and is easy to touch up if required.

Under seal appears to have kept my underside rust free for 47 years, where ever scraped off, no rust. And it does get scraped and prodded every MOT. One year an advisory “Excessive Under Seal” Is it coming off? Nope. 😊

Doug

7 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Under seal appears to have kept my underside rust free for 47 years, where ever scraped off, no rust. And it does get scraped and prodded every MOT. One year an advisory “Excessive Under Seal” Is it coming off? Nope. 😊

Doug

Are you saying your car doesnt' leak oil then?😉

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Doug

Started getting this off last nite with white spirit which is working a treat, so thanks guys for the advice 👍... but as u say doug it is solid underneath, only issue is i need to remove it to repaint it, some areas of the bonnet am pure filler so i need to off to address the bonnet as a whole.

• Like 1

Hi

I tried paint stripper at first, far too messy, A combination of B&D heat gun and scrapers removed the larger sections in record time. White sprit seems to take ages to soften the residue, but when soft it will almost wipe off. IF I could get it out of the garage (without the Inner Wheel arches and the Bonnet pivot brace it`s a bit too flexible), I`d be tempted to use the power washer on the softened material?.

Pete

Following a hunt on the forum for advice I used heat gun and a scraper this spring and it was brilliant!  See the contrast between the inner wings etc and the rest.  The harder-to-get-to bits are in my "Waiting - too difficult" in tray.

IMG_4886.JPG

• Like 1