Spitfire exhaust suggestions needed

pmus44

I have a 1979 Spitfire 1500. Looking for a stainless steel manifold + exhaust system that opens the exhaust out a little, sounds nice without being noisy, and doesn't look too boy racery. Can anyone make suggestions of setups they have tried? Thanks

I have a wheel barrow type (rimmers I think) bought second hand with an engine. Has a middle cherry bomb type section as decent sized silencers on each exit. 
it is noisy compared to many but not as noisy as others  I like it  

The club shop does a sports exhaust with a single outlet that I think is a lot quieter  

When I got my Spitfire 1500 it had a Phoenix wheel-barrow "system" - straight through from the manifold down pipe to a Y pipe and then 2 small back boxes.

It was fine for pottering around but any sustained mileage at speed led to your ears ringing unless you wore ear plugs.

Since then I've added a Jetex centre resonator and that's toned it down a little so that it's manageable at speed. TBH I'd like to tone it down a little further, but have other stuff to do right now!

The club shop semi sports rear silencer may be what you're looking for. I would suggest fitting it with a centre silencer, used as standard on the Mk3 Spitfire.

I have the club's semi sports back box on my GT6, with a tubular manifold. Originally, without a centre silencer, it was quite raspy when pressing on. I fitted the centre section including a small silencer from an earlier GT6 and this has calmed it down nicely.

The exhaust note is a bit louder than a standard system but not dramatically so. Purposeful rather than rowdy is how I would describe it!

I'm guessing the same approach to fit a centre silencer would work on your Spitfire 1500 (like my Mk3 GT6, it normally has a straight through centre section) but you would need to ask the club shop. The quality of the club's Bells systems is first rate.

Nigel

16 hours ago, pmus44 said:

I have a 1979 Spitfire 1500. Looking for a stainless steel manifold + exhaust system that opens the exhaust out a little, sounds nice without being noisy, and doesn't look too boy racery. Can anyone make suggestions of setups they have tried? Thanks

Hello No Name

I have a 4 branch manifold going spare as I had to change mine when I fitted EFI

I have the wheel barrow type with a central silencer and do not find it noisy just sporty!

Roger

ps I live in the midlands near to M5  J4

Thanks to all. Sounds like I need a central silencer to calm things down, but Angie in club shop talked to Bell exhausts and they said it was too difficult with the semi sport back box and tubular manifold.Rogerguzzi do you know where you got your central silencer box?

Ther is variations within same types, as I have a Phoenix twin pipe system on the Mk3 Spitfire and it is quieter than most.

Phoenix rear boxes have rolled in ends on rear box exit pipes.

I had a twin box Bell system on my Mk2, very loud. They have smaller boxes and anti-resonance exit pipes.

I drove a Mk4 with semi sports Bell system. That was even louder.

After a recommendation off here, I bought a jetex 2" silencer off amazon for about £30 and fitted between the manifold and the middle section (cut down). Definitely toned it down, still loud due to the rest being a straight pipe but sounds great to me. 

Had a full Bell 421 and Bell single rear box (full system), it was pretty loud tbh on my 1500 (I like it but can be hard work on long journeys), I'd fit a silencer in the middle of I was doing lots of cross country!

Looking at the Phoenix system at Rimmers  https://rimmerbros.com/ItemSearch--search-Phoenix-1500--srcin-1 they have a large bore single box system that has a "quiet" option - as suggested above it has a central silencer on the main pipe as well as the back box. Sounds like a good option (especially if the Bell systems are as loud as people have said) and would prefer the single rear box as not a huge fan of the 'wheelbarrow' look. Only issue is the system is £650 rather than £500 for the Bell semi-sport & manifold from the club shop!

Talking to Dave at Canley he won't sell the quiet version as he says the front silencer has about 3mm gap either side to the chassis and so tends to rattle really badly. So I am back to either the Phoenix basic single large bore or the Phoenix twin wheelbarrow version. Any thoughts on which of those two would be the less noisy? Dave also mentioned he didnt like the wheelbarrow type due to possible ground clearance issues.

• 1 year later...

Many years ago I had the Phoenix 4-2-1 manifold on a Mk1V Spitfire. It was a bugger to fit and the joints leaked. I took it off & sold it.

I now have a club Bell manifold. It was easy to fit, is made in one piece so doesn't leak and also liberates more power top end.

Both with a home brew exhaust using just a single Phoenix rear straight through silencer, not too noisy, sounds great when you want it to.

Some years ago (about 10 now I think) I had a Exhaust and silencer fabricated in stainless by a company in Warrington, for an American R-V. When I went to collect it they where doing bespoke stuff for a Porsche 911. and a couple of BMW? cars. Considering the size of that thing, 350 quid I thought was quite reasonable?.

Been searching My Archived Invoices, But I cannot find it sadly.

Pete