Trunnion advice needed please

My 1979 Spitfire has recently been MOTed and has an advisory of wear and play in the trunnions. It was suggested that it should be repaired/replaced sooner rather than later. I have a good garage to do the work, but i need to supply the parts.  I see repair kits are available but I seem to remember seeing a kit to replace the whole system. Any advice on whats the best? Would like to improve the car if possible.

Thank for any advice

Andy

Hi, you really need to find out if the play is in the threaded portion of the trunnions (allows steering movement of the front wheels) or the bushes that fit in the trunnions which allow the up-down motion of the wheel. The kit for the second is cheap while the trunnions themselves are quite expensive. Also it's worth confirming exactly where the play is as some testers confuse play in the wheel bearings,(a limited amount of which is required) with wear elsewhere...

Hi Andy,

That MoT advisory note is still not sufficiently specific, it could be either the plastic bushes that connect the trunnion to the lower wishbone or the threaded part of the trunnion that allows steering movement (as Johny has said). I would suggest you take the car to the mechanic who will do the work and ask him to determine which is the problem. Any mechanic worth his salt should be willing and able to tell the difference and advise before he does the job for you.

The plastic bushes wear more quickly than the threaded part and are cheap. If it's the thread that's worn, a replacement trunnion is more expensive than the bushes and will require more labour time to replace.

Nigel

Pin or bush could really be either... I'd be replacing the bushes as a matter of course, but when you get the unit stripped down, look at the threads for wear, or rock from side to side to check for movement. Hopefully it will be trunnion rather than vertical link.

These threads are badly worn, and will need the entire link replaced, otherwise they'll break off at the weakest point.

Photo2.jpg.693d7c7f9a15e6935c50edd7b569c642.jpg DSCF1659.jpg.fc7a573352d919681163191781155e17.jpg

47 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

These threads are badly worn, and will need the entire link replaced, otherwise they'll break off at the weakest point.

Wire brush and a bit of Araldite, it'll be fine! :rolleyes:

Having had one break check, CHECK, CHECK! And, oil, OIL, OIL!

Doug

thanks for all the replies. I had a look at the components and they are all pretty rusty. I've also checked the cars history 9previous owners kept everything0 and there no trace of any work (beyond lubrication) on the trunnions going back 25 years. I think I'll play it save and get both sides replaced.

Andy

26 minutes ago, andycrews1 said:

thanks for all the replies. I had a look at the components and they are all pretty rusty. I've also checked the cars history 9previous owners kept everything0 and there no trace of any work (beyond lubrication) on the trunnions going back 25 years. I think I'll play it save and get both sides replaced.

Andy

Good call to replace both sides, these are safety critical components, so not a place to skimp.

Nigel

Yes, I have them on my yellow spit, the one that really gets all the abuse.

Bought as the price difference between the threaded type and trunnionless was "not a lot" when I considered the cost difference for uprights/trunnions/trunnion kit.

It is with GT6 brakes, if spitfire (later type with integrated brake lugs as opposed to separate mount) you need to factor in those as well, not insignificant.As yours is an early car it may well have the separate caliper mounting bracket. 

But the std uprights are fine if looked after, and importantly, are not 50plus years old. I think your car was involved in a front end accident, so worth checking yours carefully anyway. Replace if in doubt, consequences can be high (though breakage usually happens at very low speeds, ie when parking)

But I have been very happy with mine. I squirt WD40 on them every now and again. That is all that is required.

58 minutes ago, Neil Clark said:

I was wondering about these.  Has anyone tried the trunnion-less uprights as an upgrade?

Fitted to my Spitfire a few years ago, I was ok with the old uprights when pottering around the UK, but when I started doing European trips I wanted the piece of mind that I wasn't going to have one snap half-way up the Stelvio. From my point of view well worth the money for that re-assurance alone.

Thanks.  The n/s front of the chassis took the real thump and the wheel kissed / scuffed the firewall although didn't dent it.  Amazingly the alignment of the bits checked out and front bushes are replaced, also all front nuts and bolts etc but trunnions are a dark art for me.  It all slotted back together like a Meccano set so can't be bad.  Will see what the piggy bank has to offer when the bonnet gets back from the paint shop.

13 minutes ago, andycrews1 said:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

I've ordered trunnion kits and associated bits from the club shop, under £100 delivered. Found the trunnionless kits on Rimmers webpage £414.

Andy

Rimmers?!?!?

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?product=trunnionless-front-suspension-kit