Vitesse oil filter leaks

Tom Hartley

I have the original oil filter setup on my Vitesse, with the canister inside the metal housing and the long bolt through the middle.

It leaks.

Not badly, except when you first start her up and reverse out of the garage. A little black line of drips about half an inch apart.

I've done the bolt up as tight as I dare - it'll shear or strip something if I do it any more.

I removed the old seal and fitted the new one when I changed the filter. And refitted it again after I first spotted it leaking.

Still bloody leaks.

It's keeping the chassis from rusting, at least

Any top tips?

20200725_131246.jpg

20200725_131337.jpg

20200725_131204.jpg

its not uncommon for an old seal to be jammed down in its recess  i would have a deeper probe for another ( 2nd or 3rd ) oldie lurking getting a visual is not easy with the side screens fitted as the recess is stepped and this causes  the fun of fingering in a new seal ontop of old ones .

def dont keep tightening the thro bolt   ive seen one that over exuberance  ripped the  casting apart nearly wrecked the block ,

Pete

I was going to say the same as both Pete and Colin. I have a spare canister (Tessa's got a spin-on conversion and her original was in the box of bits) that I could bring to a Cambridge area gathering next time one happens, if you think that might help.

I agree with Pete's comment re a missed second rubber seal being in there.

My cousin in the 60's blew his new Mini Cooper engine doing that leaving the seal in and putting another in it pumped all the oil out in less than a trip round the block!

Ha          I found this on a first oil change when i bought the Vit6  , going to an early   Duxford  event  emptied the sump 

but a new filter and can of oil  followed by much grovelling on the grass found the Tee shirt for that cock up  

the stepped recess is misleading  ............ good learning curve  

Pete

10 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

def dont keep tightening the thro bolt   ive seen one that over exuberance  ripped the  casting apart nearly wrecked the block ,

Pete

Got the t shirt for doing that on a gt6. Managed to tap enough on what was left but a close thing.

Have a Mk1 2L Vitesse with the original oil filter setup, all the above and make sure the new seal is not twisted as has a square section. Thought I had a leak but the oil was just running down from the petrol pump, never been able to get a new seal for it.

Regards

Paul

Tom

There is another potential source of leakage around the head of the bolt.

I have attached two photos of my canister, showing a rubber seal (sort of a square section O ring) that fits over the bolt shank and into a recess in the filter body.

Might be worth checking whether you have this. If not it might be possible to make one from an offcut of hose.

Regards

Ian

DSC_7772.JPG

DSC_7773.JPG

Thanks so much for all your learned experiences.

After disappointingly learning that there wasn't an easy fix to be had or stupid oversight by me earlier, I was inspired to open it and have another look.

Sure enough, there was a section about two inches long that was twisted by 90' when I put it in. Twice, I might add.

With lots more light and lots more checking I managed to get it back in without the twist and lo and behold no leak.*

Thanks guys

Tom

* although it's early days and it may yet come back of course. Fingers crossed

Well done, Tom!   Not only a cure, but a diagnosis!   the second makes it even better!

A couple of years ago, I had to retire from the Bo'ness hillclimb because I had a small oil leak from the same place.   The seal had beeen fitted new, and was a couple of years old, but when I got it out, it was much harder and stiffer than another new one.  I fear the quality of rubber used in many parts, from that to engine mounts, is not what it was.

John