Tailgate window. GT6. Buy a new one?

chrishawley

There is hope the GT6 (3) might get finished!!!

I'm thinking about buying a new tailgate glass rather than up cycling one the existing rather tabby ones I've got.

But before I part with £££lots does anyone have experience to say whether the repros are up to standard. By which I mainly mean do they fit alright without any fuss? Also, on the repros, are the heating elements applied to the surface or moulded into the glass?

Any advice much appreciated.

Regards

Chris

Chris,

What sort of a state are the “tabby” ones in? I have my original glass and against the odds the heater still works, but I don’t think there are many that do. Repair kits I’ve seen involve depositing metal on the glass so I think the original are surface mounted.

Doug

Why buy a repro when you can get a NOS one. 

Well that is what I was told it was and it looks very good.

It is a Syndym one though. I will get the data off the triplex stamping and check the date.

Got a new seal on it as well.

Whole assy was fitted to a car undergoing a Concours rebuild, and then removed again a few years later, car is still not on the road.

any heated glass of the era was bonded to the glass surface ,  most will be toughend glass  

modern may well be laminated which needs careful  handling or you cane crack it if rubbers and such become hard work to fit 

where as toughend is pretty idiot proofed  and can be whacked and pushed into place

when padding the glass an old leather glove filled with sand makes a good soft whacking assistant

Pete

Thanks for the replies.

What I've got is two rear windows. Neither have working heater elements and have picked up abrasions and scratches - doubtful if could be polished out but I've got some 3M polish I could at least try.

Point taken about toughened rather than laminated  - especially having just blown £120 on breaking a front screen putting it in. Ho hum.

I didn't know that NOS would be a possibility (syndym or not would be fine) - NOS would be great. Any suggestions for a supplier?

Many thanks for the comments.

Chris

Chris,

Here's an example of a repair kit I was talking about, there are a few on Ebay. People I know who've tried them weren't expecting great results, but some actually worked. Cleanliness is the key, apparently. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIMPLY-XTREME-DEMISTER-ELEMENT-REPAIR-KIT-Heated-Car-Rear-Window-Screen-XRDR1/184034831389?epid=8017025115&hash=item2ad954ac1d:g:0QUAAOSwwO9dzCOY

Doug

On 21/08/2020 at 21:28, thescrapman said:

It is in my garage

🙂

Dear Scrapman,

Would you be willing to part with it for a suitable sum? if so I could give you my contact details and perhaps think about the suitable level of £££s

Cheers

Chris

On 21/08/2020 at 21:13, dougbgt6 said:

Chris,

Here's an example of a repair kit I was talking about, there are a few on Ebay. People I know who've tried them weren't expecting great results, but some actually worked. Cleanliness is the key, apparently. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIMPLY-XTREME-DEMISTER-ELEMENT-REPAIR-KIT-Heated-Car-Rear-Window-Screen-XRDR1/184034831389?epid=8017025115&hash=item2ad954ac1d:g:0QUAAOSwwO9dzCOY

Doug

thee,s kits a pent on stuff,or a stick on

reason asking  is if a stick on, wid 1.5 mm strips, like the older type heated window kits

then whenst ye got a doz or so lines ont window

it,ll be pulling  25 - 30 amps, which is a darn sight moer than OE, 

or what the switch or the wires will tek,

been there found oot, need bigger wires and a relay t,tek load oft switch

From reading the ebay ad this kit is paint on. It comes with masking tape and you’re repairing broken sections of the matrix. To keep it looking right you wouldn’t be making the repairs wider than the original, so you won’t be pulling more current.

Doug

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

From reading the ebay ad this kit is paint on. It comes with masking tape and you’re repairing broken sections of the matrix. To keep it looking right you wouldn’t be making the repairs wider than the original, so you won’t be pulling more current.

Doug

Very very fiddly stuff to work with and from my own ham-fisted experience you never get it looking like the original filaments - you always have a thick silver bit joining the lines!

I remember trying it back in the mid-1980s with a Daihatsu I had that had lost some of the rear demister filaments and could never get it to look right.

Spotted this on fleabay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Window-Adhesive-Screen-Heater/123865766148?hash=item1cd6f99904:g:n5EAAOSwOb9eIYBT

Brings back the happy memories of trying to put one on straight.. it never was. I'm sure they were a lot cheaper in the 70's (pro rata) with more grids, although the picture on the box in the photo must breech sale of goods acts? Could be useful if I ever get my hardtop finished I suppose.

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

New old stock, just wonder about the state of the adhesive, remember fitting something similar to an old HC Viva two door I had, don't think I could do it now.

Worked OK.

Regards

Paul 

On 23/08/2020 at 21:00, chrishawley said:

Dear Scrapman,

Would you be willing to part with it for a suitable sum? if so I could give you my contact details and perhaps think about the suitable level of £££s

Cheers

Chris

I checked it and I think it is dates 1970, will have a very close look at the HRW looking for damage.

will let you know.