Vitesse 1600/6 Convertable - Seat Belts

martyn wright

37 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Not that I've ever seen one but by comparison to the Y-piece, isn't that bracket fitted backwards? Probably tricky to turn it round with the belt stitched up tight like that, though.

Long edge goes to the front, but that one would look tidier with the overlap of the belt in behind.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Long edge goes to the front, but that one would look tidier with the overlap of the belt in behind.

But the Y-piece has the belt round the curved bit, which probably reduces fraying of the edges, and if the B-post brackets were also done that way, and thus fitted short edge front, it would also look more natural in that the slight protrusion would be the belt coming forward instead of just being there for no apparent reason. From an engineering and an aesthetic perspective, the way you have it just looks wrong to me.

10 hours ago, NonMember said:

But the Y-piece has the belt round the curved bit, which probably reduces fraying of the edges, and if the B-post brackets were also done that way, and thus fitted short edge front, it would also look more natural in that the slight protrusion would be the belt coming forward instead of just being there for no apparent reason. From an engineering and an aesthetic perspective, the way you have it just looks wrong to me.

It's not just me - it's ALL of them!! :)

I speculate how one might fit a set of "Reel" belts in a Convertible?. Two thoughts come to mind.

1) Could the Reel be fitted to the Rear Arch, where there is already a Strengthened fastening point?.

2 OR fitted the the base of the "B" post to the fastening point just forward of the B post. with the fixed end also fastened there?.

There appears to be no strengthening at the top of a C-V "B" post to take a Bracket?.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

I speculate how one might fit a set of "Reel" belts in a Convertible?. Two thoughts come to mind.

1) Could the Reel be fitted to the Rear Arch, where there is already a Strengthened fastening point?.

My 13/60 convertible has the reel mounted on the wheel arch. They work. Make sure they are a model designed to work in any position though.

In your first picture, the route from the wheel arch over your shoulder is not the factory route. It shouldn't go over the hood frame but rather through a slot in the trim panel - essentially a straight line.

In your third picture, the B-pillar is not as structural as the wheel arch. Whether that matters depends on how big you and your passenger are, and how fast you will be going when you crash 😲 You will also find that having them like that makes for more of a trip hazard for people trying to get into or out of the rear seat.

Yes It`s definitely a "work in progress". My current concern is that there is no brace (I can see) at the top of the "B" post to take the upper Belt?.

To be fair, The lower Mount point is well Strengthened behind the Tub. All that and the other side is "New" Steel and thicker than O/E. (1.0mm) And as it is not envisaged that the rear seats will get a lot of use (if any) access is a marginal issue?. 

It needs some more thought though. (the belt was looped over the top to see if it was actually long enough, as the Belts are NOS and where originally bought for a Dolomite). Brand spanking new, Never fitted as the Car was stolen & wrecked before the job could be done.

Pete

4 hours ago, NonMember said:

In your third picture, the B-pillar is not as structural as the wheel arch.

That's why the convertible brackets use both the wing top and the b-post; the saloons bolt to the wing top but just further back, simply because they can, due to the longer strip of available metal under the side windows. The convertible uses the wing top but because of the difference in the tub they can't sit so far backwards, so use a diagonal to the B-post as well. You're not pulling the against b-post alone, but the entire rear wing. If you bolt solely to the b-post you risk any impact pulling the spot welds out and the b-post moving forwards.

6 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If you bolt solely to the b-post you risk any impact pulling the spot welds out and the b-post moving forwards.

Yes, I can see that. In the event of a shunt to the front. The angle is greater that that which would exist if the Rear Wheel-arch mount was used, when the High "B" post mount would not be absorbing all the Energy, Looking at the vectors, you would have to, at least, Brace from the wheel arch to the top of the "B" post to avoid that.

Wether that is possible/worth doing, is a moot point?. At the moment it would seem that the Reel Unit I have would foul the Trim, and/or some of the Hood Rails, when they are stowed?. Now I have to find the trim panel and the hood frame to see what space I have available. Lot`s of "crap" to move in the garage loft I suspect.

Cheers Pete.

Ok, So moved a shed load of rubbish, and "found" The trim Panels, The (rear) hood frames where easier, balanced on the Ladder lashed to the Purlins!!.

Cleaned the Threads and had a bit of a "Play":- Pic-1 shows the Proposed setup. Pic-2 temporary fastening, Needs Bracing in my view. Pic-3 with the rear hood frames down, they Just catch the Reel. I think the clearance is there though. Pic-4 and 5 side panel loose clamped bears on the Reel. but still retracts.

IMG_6371.JPG

I`m thinking a bracing Plate behind the top of the B post and put the belt holder a tad further forward onto the top of the post itself using the 7/16 Bolts and fittings.?.

IMG_6372.JPG

IMG_6375.JPG

IMG_6377.JPG

IMG_6378.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

In the previous "Views", the folded hood fouled the Inertia reels. After several attempts I have relocated the reels further back and Added Extra Heavy plate under the wheel arch. Similar to the Factory ones. I now have working Inertia belts which do not foul the hood when folded.

IMG_6398.JPG

IMG_6397.JPG

IMG_6400.JPG

IMG_6399.JPG

• 4 weeks later...