Best for diff rebuild/exchange?

Roger K

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

For the first time ever I've been pricing the LSD internals for the Triumph diff... just in case.

the Lysegic distilate acid diffs still suffer the same problemo as normal diffs doo

they still use the same CW/P

the blackline ones are aif price of the normal suppliers

As it is likely from the jigsaw emporium, I would say "variable". A local bought a diff from Jigsaw, new CWP, howled from first use. They replaced, no quibble, the replacement is fine. 

If it howls when fitted, who gets the blame? Diff builder may have set it up correctly, but as Marcus suggests some new stuff is poorly made. All a worry. 

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

They're being sold by Mark Field, formerly of Jigsaw, so I assume that's what they used for their diff rebuilds in the past. He also has a 3.63 ratio advertised.

Gully

41 minutes ago, Gully said:

They're being sold by Mark Field, formerly of Jigsaw, so I assume that's what they used for their diff rebuilds in the past. He also has a 3.63 ratio advertised.

Gully

Yes, I recognised the seller, so was wondering if it's a range of CWPs that have been remanufactured, or maybe a one-off / limited stock sort of thing as a clearance item.

• 1 month later...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-ALLOY-DIFFERENTIAL-HOUSING-HERALD-VITESSE-GT6/264536499799?hash=item3d979aa657:g:R8kAAOSwNotd0YQs

Alloy diff cases on eBay, if anyone's thinking about one... not sure about the seller's description tho.

"IT WILL RUN CONSIDERABLY COOLER THAN THE IRON ONE AND TRIUMPHS ARE KNOWN FOR THE DIFF OIL OVERHEATING AND CAUSING GEAR FAILURE"

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-ALLOY-DIFFERENTIAL-HOUSING-HERALD-VITESSE-GT6/264536499799?hash=item3d979aa657:g:R8kAAOSwNotd0YQs

Alloy diff cases on eBay, if anyone's thinking about one... not sure about the seller's description tho.

"IT WILL RUN CONSIDERABLY COOLER THAN THE IRON ONE AND TRIUMPHS ARE KNOWN FOR THE DIFF OIL OVERHEATING AND CAUSING GEAR FAILURE"

New one on me - I've had 6 GT6s and don't remember any of them doing that...

The oil does get mighty hot, as there isn't much in there even when up to the correct level, and it has a lot to do in that environment.

That is why a quality oil is wise, and even better changing the stuff every year or 2, especially if the car gets used hard/fast. Marcus posted on here a while ago about his experiences with oil, and how it turned to "pish" after a run. But he found a penrite oil that stood up well. ( found it, https://penriteoil.com.au/products/pro-gear-80w-140-full-syn    and it is yellow metal friendly)

I am "lucky" enough to have a diff that is OK with any GL5 oil, so a much wider choice. I use a fully synthetic and it copes fine.

46 minutes ago, clive said:

...a penrite oil that stood up well. ( found it, https://penriteoil.com.au/products/pro-gear-80w-140-full-syn    and it is yellow metal friendly)

I am "lucky" enough to have a diff that is OK with any GL5 oil, so a much wider choice. I use a fully synthetic and it copes fine.

Thanks Clive - is it yellow metal friendly?  It's GL5 spec - with the issues for 'our' thrust washers would a GL4 not be safer?

8 minutes ago, Roger K said:

Thanks Clive - is it yellow metal friendly?  It's GL5 spec - with the issues for 'our' thrust washers would a GL4 not be safer?

Marcus (who is thorough) said it is friendly. Best do a bit of digging to be certain. I have always had a response when contacting manufacturers tech depts with questions, though (a) not usually fast and (b) sometimes incomprehensible. 

• 1 month later...