OSRAM 21W/5W Rear Brake light LED Bulbs

avivalasvegas

A quick note to share my first upgrade to my 1969 GT6 Mk2. While the OSRAM 21W/5W LED brake light intensity is comparable to the incandescent, what is noticeably improved is illumination time. I estimate full brake illumination occurs a second sooner, which may not sound like a lot but at motorway speeds, can lead to a significant difference in stopping distance. 

I only buy OSRAM/ Philips or Sylvania LED lamps as I believe they are manufactured in a superior manner to the Chinese garbage that's sold everywhere. 

Now my next project is to find a high mounted rear stop light for the rear glass, if one was ever sold.

1 hour ago, avivalasvegas said:

Now my next project is to find a high mounted rear stop light for the rear glass, if one was ever sold.

Somebody in America had a batch of special tailgate hinge covers made with a brake light integrated. Much neater than any of the standard after-market jobs. I think it was Hazen, who used to post a lot on one of the forums - but possibly not this one? No, it was on the CT one

I just purchased the following LEDs for my dash instruments and front side lights. All in warm white to preserve the original look.

1) https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/glb987-e10mes-48-lumen-8-smd-led-warm-white-bulbs-dashboard-gauge-lighting-1?_pos=2&_sid=0ba4640d5&_ss=r

2) https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/ba9s-warm-white-led-sidelight-gauge-number-plate-bulb-glb233-989?_pos=1&_sid=b5701292c&_ss=r

I plan on purchasing their LED 3000K headlight kit at a later date, as I've found the difference in lighting to be impressive for the price. 

18 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

not used LED headlights but there was a lot of talk about  retro fit LED whilst very bright they had no distance  penetration any more than 30mph was deadly

be interesting to see how they perform 

Pete

I have installed these on my Classic Mini and can safely state that distance penetration was superior to halogen, as was illumination speed and intensity. I believe it really comes down to the quality checks on the assemblies sold, which is why I only buy from the above link, an enterprise run by a helpful, knowledgable chap, Duncan. 

IMG_9539.thumb.jpg.8690f0ba832a8bb5040120e2b64c59cd.jpg

1 hour ago, avivalasvegas said:

I just purchased the following LEDs for my dash instruments and front side lights. All in warm white to preserve the original look.

1) https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/glb987-e10mes-48-lumen-8-smd-led-warm-white-bulbs-dashboard-gauge-lighting-1?_pos=2&_sid=0ba4640d5&_ss=r

2) https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/ba9s-warm-white-led-sidelight-gauge-number-plate-bulb-glb233-989?_pos=1&_sid=b5701292c&_ss=r

I plan on purchasing their LED 3000K headlight kit at a later date, as I've found the difference in lighting to be impressive for the price. 

Another vote for Classic Car LEDS🤗

Paul 

11 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

I only buy from the above link, an enterprise run by a helpful, knowledgable chap, Duncan. 

+1 for Classiccarleds, I bought stop / tail lights a while back and whilst I was so careful to check they were the correct fitting, wattage and profile I purchased positive earth by mistake; he was happy to refund and supply the correct versions.

On 25/11/2020 at 21:32, avivalasvegas said:

Thanks very much for this! I've reached out to him and hope he still sells them! 

He does. When I shared a few pictures of my GT6 having some paintwork done earlier in the year onto one of the GT6 Facebook groups, he contacted me and offered me the spring cover with integrated stop light if I needed one.

Gully