Six cylinder gearbox / engine compatibility

Roger

For many years moderns have rarely used a spigot bush or shaft at all. I have always thought "is it in fact needed?" Maybe with Colin's experience its not really needed, i don't know. I have fitted them without before when the spigot brg has failed and chewed up the crank and the box and everything worked as normal and customers happy not to spend money on new engine and gearbox.

Tony.  

Thanks all for your detailed response! I would of course prefer to find a solution that do not require any cutting in neither input shafts nor chassie. Shortening the input shaft is irreversible, so I have to go through all my options (condition and supply of parts) again and make a decision.

Just now, daverclasper said:

Has this been on Triumphs?, only, not a failure I've heard of before.

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave, not on a Triumph it was mainly Fords it happened on and usually the ones with the needle rollers, although have had the bronze ones go as well.

Tony.

4 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Will it work with the flywheel from a long back crank engine (Mk1 2000 saloon?)

I think trying to use the flywheel from a short back crank is putting the flywheel too far back.

can you get a photo of your Vitesse flywheels mounted to the engine?

I have 3 flywheels to play with: One from the original HC engine (3/8 bolts to crank if I remember, probably needs to be drilled) and one flywheel from a Vitesse Mk II (7/16 bolts) the one I tried to use. I also have a flywheel from a 1974 2,5 PI (MG-prefix). Very heavy indeed... Actually I have a fourth flywheel sitting in a Saloon Mk II engine (still in engine). The MB engine that I try to combine with the HC gerabox did not come with a flywheel. I will take some pictures tomorrow with what I have.

I've managed to find two (I hope!!) relevant photos - this is a MK2 Vitesse block with the flywheel, it may illustrate the setup in relation to the distance off the block, and the other is a clutch centralising tool made from an old GT6 input shaft which shows how far along the splines the clutch goes. Might be of some help! Just to clear up confusion in one of my earlier posts I did use a spigot bush on my GT6 reassembly but it only fitted once the shaft was trimmed down.

alloyplate.jpg.b181ff1375853e0aead5753f9fbac397.jpg clutchtool.jpg.ad221c49585a8d1b28d625d9742ec503.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, johny said:

Yes and then their gearbox looks to have a longer bell housing/shorter input shaft to accommodate the clutch being further away from the mounting plate....

Not to mention different clutch release angles etc to account for all that. Discovered when I used a saloon gearbox in my Vitesse, and never did fully solve (but I think there is a fix, or at least something better than the vitesse carrier on the saloon mechanism) Using a saloon flywheel with a vitesse box would do the opposite, and need the mechanism made closer to the box, somehow.

13 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Interestingly on the Triumph Experience website in the Spitfire & GT6 Forum there is a query re difference why the difference in weight between the GT6 and TR6 flywheels (18 vs 27lbs) with pics of the GT flywheel maybe of interest

flywheels.gif.2221e24f01a883dbe10bb3bcd4351f8b.gif GT6 wheel on top, thicker saloon wheel below. Quite a difference in weight!!

5 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Have you tried removing bellhousing to get a look at which component, components, foul when gearbox is offered up?

No, but I think it is the splines that fouls the clutch, and I'm not sure that shortening the input shaft will solve all my problems. There are so many other uncertain variables also like starter motor, clutch position etc so for the moment I will focus on my 2000 Mk II Saloon engine which I bought together with its gearbox. I know for sure that gearbox will fit! Unfortunately that engine is seized and will need a lot more work than the MB engine I was hoping to use.

Great support on this forum, thanks a lot everyone!

Roger

i doubt its the disc  as i said try a fit without the clutch ...what do you get ...i expect the same gap 

with all the mix and match ideas  what stops the mk2 gearbox fitting to the mk1 engine ???

other out the box why not swap the crank if compatible journals so you get a short back crank in your mk1 engine ???

Pete