Front wheelarch seals

Roger K

Could some kind person post a photo or description of how the rubber seal is arranged at the rear of the front wheelarch on a GT6 Mk3, where it touches the front of the footwell box?  I'm interested in getting the clips etc. right where the seal is clipped to the metal arch.

Thanks, Roger

Thanks Pete - I can't tell from the diagram which way around they go - is the rubber held on the front of the wheelarch, or the back?  I'd have thought the back, as the water will be running down the metal and probably shouldn't be able to get behind the rubber...

I think the wheel arch seam comes down the outside of the arch so prevents the rubber seal from being fitted on that side. It could have a notch cut in it to fit I suppose but they dont come like that so as standard have to be installed on the inner face of the arch....

Took the remains of mine off the front side of the wheel arch. "logic" would dictate they should be on the rear. But hey? when did anything run on logic?. Hang them on the front to collect all the wet crap and hold it against the steel for 40+ years?.

Pete

Yup, it's 9 clips. And, yes, they fit on the wheel arch side so better though of as deflectors rather than seals.

The 'ear' on the rubber should tuck on to the corner of the wheel arch. Even with the most careful fitting they're never that neat; they never were!

I have a metal template I can loan to anyone who wants to make their own. I used 2mm mess reinforced rubber - much tougher that the feeble reproductions from most suppliers.

19 minutes ago, johny said:

I think they do reduce spray going up over the bulkhead shelf but is it painful watching the paint come off as you push those clips into place!

I wonder if "bonding" with adhesive would work better?. Just thinking, (nothing better to do until lockdown ends)

Pete

Hi Folks,

I have no idea of the structure (I have a 4A - quite different) but is it possible to fit RivNuts.  You need about 1/2" on the rear face clearance 

You do have to drill holes but these can be done very cleanly ad the protected.

Then all you need are the holes i the rubber.  Easy to remove for cleaning/replacing every fortnight.

I have done this on my wheel arch liners and it works well.

Roger

Hi Roger, that would work. It would be best to have a steel strip over the rubber, screwed into the Rivnuts, to avoid pinching where the screw pulls into the rubber. Starting to get into overkill territory again perhaps, but the factory metal clips do make the rubber sit flat if set carefully. 

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

I have no idea of the structure (I have a 4A - quite different) but is it possible to fit RivNuts.

I suspect not for putting the rubber in the factory position, as the rivnuts will protrude from the outside of the arch at a point where it swings very close to the bulkhead as the bonnet is closed (unless you have large panel gaps!) It might work for larger bits of rubber fixed higher up, and using RogerK's steel strip to stop it flapping about.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

I suspect not for putting the rubber in the factory position, as the rivnuts will protrude from the outside of the arch at a point where it swings very close to the bulkhead as the bonnet is closed 

There's actually very little room behind the arches when closed, so anything that protrudes, like a rivnut, won't fit. Even a standard rivet might hit the bulkhead when closing. Bonding with PU1 or Tigerseal would work.

22 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

There's actually very little room behind the arches when closed, so anything that protrudes, like a rivnut, won't fit. Even a standard rivet might hit the bulkhead when closing. Bonding with PU1 or Tigerseal would work.

Thanks for that. I suspected it may be tight. But I do not really have a clue about these cars.

Roger