1980 Spitfire revival

Well the minor niggles are almost sorted. Remaining are:

a. A possible driveshaft UJ tinkle to monitor (faff of a job aren’t they!)

b. Swap twin box exhaust to stock. I’d have loved the noise in my 20s…but in my 50s…Spitbitz are sorting out a swap deal for me.

c. A @Badwolf seatbelt storage fix.

d. Take for wheel alignment and MOT. Test drives have just been up and down the road to fix obvious fails (my 18 year old son loves the go-kart experience-not let him drive though!)

The biggest problem I now have is seeing stuff like this and starting another collection…https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185368846207?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=MR3iu0lkRBe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=MNcX2WCaSMa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I need another garage for a ‘cutting/messy’ workspace (won’t happen)

MOT day…failed. Front wheel bearing. So not bad at all. Seemed ok somId left it, but guess the damp had got in during the years of standing. 
Inspector impressed with all the work so quite pleased given the sheer amount of welding completed. 

Rumbling badly. I’d not changed it and it had been sat 20 years. Seemed smooth enough when building up the hub but the return to Road proved it was gone.

Already got it stripped off the car as have the afternoon off. The garage is going to press out the old, in the new, for me.

Whilst I’m at it I’m swapping out the driveshaft UJs. Hopefully then set for Summer! 

and hub float is 0.002" to 0.008"    at 0.008" rock on the wheel is quite alarming

general practice is a light hand just nip the nut then back of one flat insert the split pin

do not fill the hub cavity with grease  a big waste of grease and it retains the heat 

its an old idea but dont do it   just grease the  bearings nicely 

Pete

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Niggles fixed:

2xUJs done.

1x wheel bearing.

1x fuel leak sorted.

wheels balanced.

To fix:

o/d (taking the useful advice offered in the relevant tech section)

Tiny oil weep on head gasket (live with it until Autumn)

Swap water pump as noisy on startup (live with it until Autumn)

Decide what to do about slight wheel run on front wing edge on big bumps. Either grind back 3mm at top for 7 cm length or go stock wheels…but I love the Slot Mags…tricky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

The added bonus is in use if something else developed you can fix all in one go

Yes, generally good thinking, but don't let too many things pile up or the "fix all in one go" turns into a "might as well do a full restoration".

1 hour ago, AlanT said:

The slight ‘kiss’ on the front arches from wheels on big bumps. Red marks where I may ‘adjust’ the bodywork…but can’t bring myself to touch expensive paintwork! 

7CADCB14-438E-4294-923A-5994378403DF.jpeg

Find somebody with an arch roller. It gradually rolls the edge up, without damaging the paint. Pretty quick and easy to do. 

Eons ago on utube I saw the Japanese hot rod merchants rolling the wheel arch's out using a 2in heavy duty pipe placing it between the tyre and wheel arch lip pulling up whilst simultanuously driving the car fwd and backward, it did a great job all nice and even and no paint damage.

The proper tool is adjustable, so you roll the arch incrementally. And uses a nylon roller. 

I borrowed one for the front arches on my spitfire. The other advantage is that IF the tyre still "kisses" the arch, it doesn't get cuts in the tyre tread from the sharp edge. 

Plenty of videos on youtube etc showing it being done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clive said:

The proper tool is adjustable, so you roll the arch incrementally. And uses a nylon roller. 

I borrowed one for the front arches on my spitfire. The other advantage is that IF the tyre still "kisses" the arch, it doesn't get cuts in the tyre tread from the sharp edge. 

Plenty of videos on youtube etc showing it being done.

Looked at eBay. They are inexpensive tools so I’ll buy one and try it. The rub is very slight so a minor adjustment should do it. Otherwise I think I’ll look for stock 5J wheels.

Will take pics. 

1 hour ago, AlanT said:

Looked at eBay. They are inexpensive tools so I’ll buy one and try it. The rub is very slight so a minor adjustment should do it. Otherwise I think I’ll look for stock 5J wheels.

Will take pics. 

It may not be the width of the wheel, but the offset, along with tyre size. 

But I expect rolling the arches will sort your issue. It did mine.

• 3 weeks later...

The arch roller is ready to ‘cure’ the occasional slight touch I get on big bumps, front wheels. But it will have to wait. On my other preferred means of transport tomorrow doing the Ride London 100miler. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well the arch roller has done the job. Had to drill out the fixings to make it fit the small centres of a Spit wheel. And it breaks paint on the edge where the roller acts. But it’s far better than other options. 
Just a touch on the top lip should sort things. 

image.jpg

On 28/05/2022 at 17:23, AlanT said:

On my other preferred means of transport tomorrow doing the Ride London 100miler. 

image.jpg

^ judging by your straight edge ..it looks as if the bike's tracking is out  :D

..but otherwise, good luck with your 100 miles !