Tyres

Douglas Arnold

13 minutes ago, Douglas Arnold said:

Best tyres suitable for my 1360 Herald,,, it will not be used on a regular basis

Try the search function this is not the first time the question has been asked. There are several recommandations on sizes, profile, makes & suppliers.

Depends in part on the wheel width fitted

Budget, premium? Take your choice there are plenty out there

Good hunting

On 11/08/2021 at 15:16, Douglas Arnold said:

Best tyres suitable for my 1360 Herald,,, it will not be used on a regular basis

Assuming 3.5 in rims. very good tyres for general use, probably Pirelli Cinturato C67 145 x R13. Correct width and close to correct diameter for the car, and a genuine period radial tyre that was available as an option in 1960's.....£100/tyre though!

Blockley tyres do a 145 R13 in a period style that also will be a good fit, think they around £80/tyre.

If looking at budget tyres, would advise sticking with 145 width on 3.5in rims, and 155 on 4.5in rims and an overall diameter as close to around 580mm as you can find. (Heralds are not good on low profiles)

Original tyres were Dunlop Gold Seal 5.20 x 13 Crossply tires, sadly Dunlop no longer make these tires since around 2015, the closest you'll find is Camac 5.20 x 13's at around £90/tyre. (I have no idea if they are any good though).

Regards

Jon

Acting on a previous recommendation, yesterday I bought four Falken 155*13 tyres for £145 fitted with discount from a local dealer.  I think they also produce a 145 width.  A lot cheaper than the £80 each previously quoted.  They were changed as the previous Michelins, although plenty of tread left, were 15 (!) years old.  Only feels like a few years ago that I bought them.  So as Pete stated, they will age more than they will wear.  New tyres date stamped as December 2020. 

• 5 weeks later...
8 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

063 is suitable for a lot of cars so they make a lot of them, which brings the price down.. I have one on my GT6 and it works fine. 

Doug

I have noticed the (slightly wider, same height and depth) 075 is now the "cheap" size. I think it  replaced the 063 as the most common size. And it certainly fits in a spitfire battery box. Just.

Downside is the extra weight. However, looking in the mirror gives me a clue how to lose 10+kg off the cars total weight. Probably a better place to start.

• Haha 1