Chrome cleaner

Iain T

Not on my Vitesse but on the modern. The exterior chrome plated plastic is tarnished and grimy, I've tried white vinegar and the stuff in the BMW bag of goodies. Both no good. How about Bar Keepers Friend? 

Any suggestions please as I'm getting it in the ear from the wife! 

Iain 

12 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

harsher household products may be too strong and may cause damage

I've tried polish (yes it works fine on chromed metal) but it doesn't work on chromed plastic so I used a small amount of Bar Keepers cream on the front wing 'tick' and it came up a treat😁. However the hockey stick shaped chrome around the rear window didn't clean up as well and is still bloomed. Crappy BMW quality, never buying another. 

Wife's convinced I've done my best so I'm happy especially as we are going out for a meal tonight (hangover tomorrow). 

However if anyone has any other solutions keep 'em coming please. 

Iain 

PS, no I don't need to change the wife....done that and this one's fine! 

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

Not on my Vitesse but on the modern. The exterior chrome plated plastic is tarnished and grimy, I've tried white vinegar and the stuff in the BMW bag of goodies. Both no good. How about Bar Keepers Friend? 

Any suggestions please as I'm getting it in the ear from the wife! 

Iain 

Bar keepers friend is Great Iain, i use it once a year, there is a chemical in it that is like Kurust (can't remember what it is though) and use a polish. I stay away from metal polish though.

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

BKF, is used with good effect on tarnished "Stainless" steel too. Citric Acid Monohydrate, Sodium Carbonate and Oxalic Acid. It is good at removing "Rust" stains,left behind from using wire wool products, from stainless steel.

It looks for all the world like the old fashioned "Vim" if anyone remembers that?.

Pete

22 minutes ago, PeteH said:

BKF, is used with good effect on tarnished "Stainless" steel too. Citric Acid Monohydrate, Sodium Carbonate and Oxalic Acid. It is good at removing "Rust" stains,left behind from using wire wool products, from stainless steel.

It looks for all the world like the old fashioned "Vim" if anyone remembers that?.

Pete

I paid a bit extra Pete and got the liquid stuff, Oxalic acid was what i was looking for. Now "Vim" i remember it well with Ajax. Both made sneeze and my little t##t of a brother made sure there was some on my pillow if i upset him....

Tony. 

Since I had to buy a second Spitfire to make them mate and have one Spitfire in the end I have spare bumper and I will be testing all the methods I can think of. It's not too terribly rusty but since I can't use it (US style with lots of holes for all the Federal stuff) I might as well give a try!

35 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

With the acid types, is the idea to remove the rust/rust pits, and neutralize to hold the rust coming back, or just make it temporally look better?.  

Hi Dave,

once you have rust coming through the Chrome you are looking at the end of the Chrome finish.

The chrome particles sit on the surface of the parent metal like little islands and so moisture will easily get in and cause rust (which comes out)

So, the platers put down a layer of Copper & Nickel. These are solid layers and should last many many years.

However if rust appears then the Copper/Nickel has been punctured and can't be rebuilt without complete removal and re-plating.

But, panic ye not!!   You can remove the surface rust will stuff like DeOxC (this may be Citric  or Oxalic acid based).

When the surface is spotless apply a serious wax polish AND keep it polished.

Roger

• Like 1