Suggestions or recommendations to move a hardtop 200 miles

1969Mk3Spitfire

3 minutes ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

Any suggestions for moving a hardtop from south coast to north west, distance is approx 200 miles? I have an Audi A3 but I've been told that a hardtop will not fit inside.

Thanks in advance.

I had to hire a small van to move mine

I would try fitting it over a small trailer with lots and lots of padding. A roof rack might be entertaining, but dangerous, from my own experience of losing a exterior door off the top at 30mph. Took off like a glider after the wind lifted it and snapped the lashing. Someone here had one couriered for about £100. They will advise you shortly I'm sure or try the search function.

Last time I had to get a hard top transported I coincidentally also needed a non-driveable (dead battery corroded solidly to the terminals) GT6 moved from and to the same places. So the transporter driver strapped the hardtop onto the truck behind the GT6.

The trick with roof racks (or small trailers, for that matter) is to arrange the aerodynamics right and make sure it's thoroughly tied down. Mathew's "upside down" approach works because the air flow over a bonnet generally tries to lift it, so inverting it means the wing effect holds it to the car instead.

My Herald Estate came back from the paintshop in the dark as a bare shell. The guys delivering it asked me what I thought.

"Ok so far, but where's the roof?" It was only set onto the body for spraying, not bolted down, and had blown off on the way. They never noticed in the dark. Thankfully it had dropped down inside the rear tub with the two C-posts about an inch off the ground behind; a little bit of paint damage to both tub and roof but otherwise still useable.

Lucky!!

A hardtop will fit sideways into a 6 x 4 trailer; biggest problem is preventing damage from bumps etc.

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

the weight of a 1500 Spitfire is 58 pounds

I've seen figures around that (53lbs or so) on other sites, too, for the later hardtop.

I also found

Just been out to the garage to weigh the hard top (totally original, never welded) for mk3 spitfire
Complete with glass etc

21kg

on the Club Triumph forum

• 3 weeks later...

Once (just once, never allowed again) I took a detour on the way back from a family holiday in France, to collect a GRP Vitesse bonnet from Honeybourne mouldings.    No room in the car, or on the boat trailer, but i had fitted roof rails, not telling anyone why.

We got home, the bonnet was fine, but that was probbaly because I drove so slowly, as otherwise i would have taken off!     I was interrogated every holiday thereafter, any detours planned????

John

For those who remember such things. We used to regularly Roof Rack a "Mirror" Dinghy. From the East Coast to Sailing venues as far as the South Coast. Towing a 14ft Caravan. Upside down it actually improved the aerodynamics of the 2L Cortina Estate, 60mph was easily achievable, though 50ish was more restfull.

21Kg, should be copeable on most decent roof bars, I would have thought, rear screen to the front and properly lashed with ratchet straps.

Pete