Fuel Syphoning

Paul H

My Vitesse is off the road for body fettling and spraying so removed the remaining 10 litres of fuel using a new syphon . Previously I had one with a squeeze pump in the middle , consigned to the bin a while ago as the tubing went hard and not efficient . The new one is brilliant . One end has a brass ferrule with a brass ball locked in , though it can rattle within its cage . To operate insert the metal end in the tank and just jiggle the pipe up and down quite vigorously . Petrol will travel up the pipe then flow into the receiving container . 10 litres took about minute . Can remember what I paid , knowing me about £5 

9FF65C8A-FDD8-4332-BB2C-CCB6B510DCE8.thumb.jpeg.5c02d211c26e0c19b9e16f1f314bf4ba.jpeg

5B686484-9E37-49B3-BD0E-9E2A159A2C37.thumb.jpeg.002c57e1f4e2930684a7d020d914f49d.jpeg

Paul 

• Like 2

Tried to 'borrow' some petrol from my 'modern' 2010 Honda CR-Z but found the pipe will not enter the tank! All sorts of gubbins down there. Probably Anti theft as well. Even mu 2007 Amica has such a sharp bend, I can only get a 3 mm pipe down :(

Where did you get that from Paul? Looks handy.

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Tried to 'borrow' some petrol from my 'modern' 2010 Honda CR-Z but found the pipe will not enter the tank! All sorts of gubbins down there. Probably Anti theft as well. Even mu 2007 Amica has such a sharp bend, I can only get a 3 mm pipe down :(

Where did you get that from Paul? Looks handy.

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=Jiggle syphon

it’s called a jiggle syphon and the ferule is copper 

Paul

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

the shaking might get me excited 

Pete

Well if you can fill a jerry can, that's impressive... :)

I siphon petrol from the Triumphs to use in the lawnmower, then from the lawnmower into a jamjar to degrease parts, or even back into the Triumph again if it's low and I need to run the engine. Never goes to waste!!

I've had the jiggler for years I've had to replace the plastic hose but the jiggler just keeps going, but honestly how frequent will you have use it so that E10 or GL5 will have any impact on the copper/brass content, I think you'd have to leave it submerged for a long period for it to deteroirate, .

• Like 2