Tex wing mirror stems - screw fitting?

Colin Lindsay

I've had these swept-back Tex wing mirror arms for years now and am considering fitting them to the white Vitesse-bonnet Herald. I don't recognise the mirror fitting; all my others have a screw fitting that goes straight through and is held on with a chromed nut. I presume I should have a small screw that fits in from below? Are these arms intended for a specific mirror, or should any fit them? (I have a nice round pair that should look ok). 

Any thoughts, particularly on a source for the small screw, or - if the mirror stems require a certain mirror head, does it come with those? (haven't checked the thread yet... :)  )

48513274-2E5C-4C6B-BD19-1A96A3B74645_1_105_c.jpg.75c2bee3ddbdc2cf521c7b998893bf7a.jpg  A7B245AD-97CF-484D-957D-9271593DC978_1_105_c.jpg.b4cbb770890f9841cd87a4e97900038d.jpg  7875CBA3-35C1-45E4-8ADB-C68FF9596DF8_1_105_c.jpg.40e80d1aa4cc2c8821ce0ec0b9d5a087.jpg

Thanks Roger; I had a quick glance at it this morning but your link arrived just as I was starting another coffee so have perused it in more depth... any excuse!

I've messaged them to enquire as to how the mirror heads fit and if the parts are still available. I have at least a dozen mirror heads and none of them seem to be the correct fitment.

Colin

I had similar swept back stems with Convex mirrors fitted on my old Vitesse.

I got them from Tex Automotive, this is the type I used with new stems.

I can't remember how the Mirrors fitted to the the Stems but it looks from the attached image that a screw tightens onto a protrusion (Is that the right word?)

Mine I'm sure where already assembled, I just had to bolt them to the car. 

Regards

Gary

m50201-mirror-head-convex-o1-polished.jpg

2 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

I can't remember how the Mirrors fitted to the the Stems but it looks from the attached image that a screw tightens onto a protrusion (Is that the right word?)

That's the more common fitting; the mirror goes right through the arm and a very nice chromed nut holds it on. These arms are a blind hole which is flat on two sides, and it appears a locking screw comes up from below. I can't find that kind of mirror to give me some idea of what's required.

2 hours ago, martyn wright said:

Hi Colin!  Give this guy a ring? Text a Pic to Luke on 7882278629  he's very good and cheap!  He  helped my out!  Cheers martyn

I might just do that, Martyn - all help is very welcome.

On 10/11/2021 at 14:31, RogerH said:

Hi Colin,

TEX have a very good website with a great many mirrors.

https://texautomotive.com/product-category/mirrors/

Roger

That worked out very well, Roger - once I had identified the part number required: M50103, it was a simple matter of searching Tex. Lindsays patent search tip - NEVER buy the first one you see. Classic Car Accessories have them for £30 each, Tex for £18.

Two purchased this morning, and I was even able to find the odd-shaped arm-to-wing gaskets online too. That will give the Herald a swept-back mean and fast look that says: 'look at these, not at the paint'... :)

s-l500-8.jpg.3bbc215c3641594abdda2505e4c34900.jpg

8 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Were those "swept backs", an accessory, as such, or factory fitted to certain makes of car? 

I think they where an aftermarket fitting?. They did make a similar one which could also be used as a Caravan Towing mirror, by turning them outward 90deg and the mirrors back.

Pete

8 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Were those "swept backs", an accessory, as such, or factory fitted to certain makes of car? 

The guy making the seals stated they were original fitment to his Capri and other Fords, and any online search shows them listed in many sales as suitable for Ford Corsair or Cortina. I don't know if they were OE but they were certainly fitted to many.

I'll report later on how it improves the view, if at all... gaskets have arrived but waiting on the mirror heads from Tex. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the current mirrors are, since at first thought they look very far away from the driver, but if set correctly they give a good view behind.