Fun with a cheap endoscope

Colin Lindsay

Cost me about £5 off ebay, a cheapie Chinese thingie on about 5m of a lead, but it works very well. I tried it on an unknown 1200 engine, so I now know that the pistons are Stanpart and therefore probably original:

DABC9BB3-D52C-430F-A345-0E5A6EAD81C6_1_105_c.jpg.412f7cbb3524d981929761153bd55a54.jpg AF00B2E1-F628-45B2-88F8-C7E92D42834D_1_105_c.jpg.4badd1809a573f1bd872a8cac0dea98a.jpg

Inside the spare fuel tank; slightly rusty and a bit of debris that needs cleaning, but nothing excessive:

0F69D709-6D47-4E87-B4B8-984A86FCCAF1_1_105_c.jpg.66761bc1db0875fc4d2b0390329664f6.jpg  3AFE6B7A-C42B-4C9B-B1E1-5C5860CB5615_1_105_c.jpg.cc51932d1039da06fc6f16f815616f7b.jpg

The thermostat and jiggle pin inside the housing:

F4165E10-238F-4497-B9F3-DF4B3709611B_1_105_c.jpg.450fedeee72ec4b4f018810ecf75b5a4.jpg

The photos would be much clearer if I used it in the dark, there's a lot of reflection off the laptop screen, and if I could read the Chinese instructions I reckon there's a recording program and some facility to directly save photos, rather than take pics off the screen, but it's interesting. I'll improve with practice but at least I don't need to spend a lot of cash for the limited use I'll be giving it.

• Like 1

AND, their smaller than the damn things they have me swallow every year or so!.!☹️.

Had one for a while, (5M) it failed in the USB fitting, so got binned when The Aldi one came along.

Did get it all the way down the Chassis, when it first arrived to see the extent of the "damage". It was just after that it threw in it`s hand.

Pete

5 hours ago, PeteH said:

Did get it all the way down the Chassis, when it first arrived to see the extent of the "damage". It was just after that it threw in it`s hand.

Pete

Sometimes you're better off NOT seeing... ignorance is bliss. It's interesting for some uses - those pistons are far better than I had expected, although I couldn't make it turn to check the valves - so all I need to do now is to work out how to get it into a running engine so I can check the spark... :)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The photos would be much clearer if I used it in the dark, there's a lot of reflection off the laptop screen, and if I could read the Chinese instructions I reckon there's a recording program and some facility to directly save photos, rather than take pics off the screen, but it's interesting. I'll improve with practice but at least I don't need to spend a lot of cash for the limited use I'll be giving it.

There's always the good old "CTRL+PrtSc" keyboard combo.  That should copy an image of everything on screen to the clipboard and you can then just open Paint and do a "CTRL+v" to paste it into a new image document.

15 minutes ago, Mjit said:

There's always the good old "CTRL+PrtSc" keyboard combo.  That should copy an image of everything on screen to the clipboard and you can then just open Paint and do a "CTRL+v" to paste it into a new image document.

It might be the 'good old' for you but for me it is 'you learn something new every day' thanks. I even found the equivalent to 'PrtSc' on my azerty keyboard, 'Imp écr'.

And to think I learned this on a thread about cheap endoscopes that haven't any real interest in, goes to show that the forum is always worth watching closely 

Ha!!   i changed the printer to a Epson ecotank  4500    fills  4 tanks with a bottle of ink  lasts all year  no more cartridge changes and ink costs about 

£15 for 4  x 70ml bottles     its brilliant and vastly cheaper i print a lot of guff off for the area and this is the best buy ive ever made 

still chugs and spits   but   so cheap  and  no more cartridges that defy working 

Pete

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

1280846348_instructions2copy.jpg.0637363f1e8f4f59644e24ea916ac07f.jpg

"It will help me see the dark region narrow and small which cannot be seen due to physical limitation before". I couldn't get my head round that bit. :)

Ah!   I thought you might have the instructions in Chinese characters!   Looks like the camera makers used Google Translate!   It's good. Phenomenal really.  But severely limited.

PS "We are all in the gutter.  But some of us are looking at the stars".  Oscar Wilde

21 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

1280846348_instructions2copy.jpg.0637363f1e8f4f59644e24ea916ac07f.jpg

"It will help me see the dark region narrow and small which cannot be seen due to physical limitation before". I couldn't get my head round that bit. :)

The instructions looked like they were translated from Japanese into English by somebody in Taiwan!

Prince Philip to me in 2002, talking about the instructions for his new mobile phone.

Cheers, Richard

PS: Name-dropping? Me?

On 18/11/2021 at 13:35, rlubikey said:

The instructions looked like they were translated from Japanese into English by somebody in Taiwan!

Prince Philip to me in 2002, talking about the instructions for his new mobile phone.

Cheers, Richard

PS: Name-dropping? Me?

No comments, re "slitty eyes" and the effects of rice in the diet?

Pete

Must agree with Pete about the Epson Ink Tank. Got one from Aldi last year £130ish. None WiFi. Cheaply made but brilliant. Have mono and colour lasers, but this InkTank thing is so cheap to run. No waste of ink, no running out mid job. Just top up as needed. Might even get the A3+ size version in the future but need bigger desks.

15 hours ago, Badwolf said:

None WiFi. Cheaply made but brilliant. 

Mine is a HP Envy 5010, cheaply made and shows it. Never again. It's wifi which means I spend ages waiting for the computer to find the printer despite the fact they're three feet apart. I was going to make the 'waiting for printer' message my screensaver. Sadly it's wifi only, no cable connection, but frequent restarts seem to be the only solution.

I love Chinese instruction books.  My very cheap car radio in our first car came with a single sheet telling me to "Enable the on/off control to activate and gaze in wonderment at the enchanting blue light!" 

This was 45 years ago, and I still remember to say it every time the radio comes on when we get in the car.  I think I need to get out more.....

• Like 1

The 

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Ok, try this offering:

AD75C8E3-7A89-4662-B00C-2FB5A43D3C91_1_105_c.jpg.e2343544efb4228ccf9dfffe9c9fc7f3.jpg

The last 5 translate as:

Harvest bank data

Take over the webcam

Plant tracking software

Fire unwanted ads at you randomly

Install facial recognition software.