Can’t get fan belt any tighter

Quack

I’ve heard that if you can turn the longest run over half way it’s too loose. Also when I start my car and Rev, I get a squealing sound so I need to tighten the belt. But as you can see it can’t get any tighter? Do I just need to buys shorter belt? This one came with the alternator conversion kit so I’m a bit confused.

7CF7C25D-CE82-43C3-ABB1-B36AA8C1B7F6.jpeg

C4B9BAD0-7993-42C5-A9B9-9224ED7FC38F.jpeg

Squealing could be waterpump, or alternator bearings, so check just in case. You don't want the belt too tight either as this will put a strain on everything from belt to bearings. If it's floppy when you twist it like that it's too loose; a good fit will have a bit of resistance to twisting. 

Read the data on the outer edge of the fan belt -I can't make out what your says in the photo, just to the right of the alternator top bracket, it'll read something like 1090 (just an example) so if you think the belt is too loose with the brackets at full adjustment, try something a couple of centimetres shorter, like a 1070. Just subtract a couple of centimetres from what yours reads, it may have come with a kit but not all cars are exactly the same so by all means try a shorter belt and see how that affects things.

+1 for trying a slightly smaller belt. I'm sure mine is non standard as it all depends on the alternator mounting centre to spindle pulley distance plus pulley diameter. Another option is to buy a longer bracket with more adjustment. 

Iain 

I've seen some places sell a 1050 for a Spitfire with alternator. That's too short. A GT6 needs a long one - an 1150 - which would be way loose on a Spitfire. I think the correct MkIV/1500 Spitfire belt is nominally 1088 - whether the viscous fan type needs a different one is unclear.

That's 1063mm long so perhaps as Rob said 1050 would work? Try it. 

To adjust the tension just loosen the bolt on the sliding bracket (I slacken the mounting bolt as well) pull the alternator and nip up the bolt. Don't forget to retighten the mounting bolt! As it is now the alternator looks as though it's at the end of its adjustment so a slightly smaller belt is what you need. 

Iain 

I put the old smaller Belt on, took the entire mount off and attached it back on with the belt on. Squealing has stopped, however this belt has a lot of cracks so I need to find out what length it is. Will try the one mentioned above, cheers

4 minutes ago, Quack said:

I put the old smaller Belt on, took the entire mount off and attached it back on with the belt on. Squealing has stopped, however this belt has a lot of cracks so I need to find out what length it is. Will try the one mentioned above, cheers

Hope that has cured the squealing! You can also set the alternator to the position you want it in, allowing suitable movement to tighten, feed a length of string around the pulleys until it meets and measure the length. You may not get the exact length but pick the closest and you should still be able to move the alternator to mount to tighten.

What size crank pulley do you have? The later Spitfires (which had alternators from the factory) all had the big pulley. Having looked at your photos again, you have a dynamo type adjuster bracket, so I wonder whether yours is a conversion, with the small crank pulley. That will probably be what the 1050 belt is for.

• 2 weeks later...

Vee and Wedge belts drive on the side of the pulley. IF you have the wrong profile, or is badly worn, it will try and drive on the bottom of the pulley, with many of the results you describe. Also a wedge belt will often run in a vee groove, a vee belt will bottom out in a Wedge groove.

"Fenner". back in their day, used to "hand out" a nice book, which gave all the sizes and profiles. Sadly they too are now defunct. Many places did similar. I still have a bearing equivalent book (somewhere😭).

Pete

The Boxford was a V belt. it 'Hummed' due to the links but fitted 'Any' car, so was useful as a 'Get me home' measure. I did try those stretch on emergency ones back in the 1980's but they shredded in ten minutes. Underpants. tights and stockings lasted longer.

My alternator kit came with a different adjusting arm. At least three sizes of belt can be fitted. Maybe this would have solved Quack's problem at the start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wagger said:

The Boxford was a V belt. it 'Hummed' due to the links but fitted 'Any' car, so was useful as a 'Get me home' measure. I did try those stretch on emergency ones back in the 1980's but they shredded in ten minutes. Underpants. tights and stockings lasted longer.

My alternator kit came with a different adjusting arm. At least three sizes of belt can be fitted. Maybe this would have solved Quack's problem at the start.

My Drumond Lathe, 1945 Vintage, is similarly "belted" It runs from a countershaft, which has to be released to change gears. Poor thing could do with a large dose of TLC at the moment, but that work is very much on the "Back Burner".

Pete