Show me your fog lights (front/rear) and/or daytime driving lights (w/ interior switches and wiring if possible)

DVD3500

Hi all,

I have a problem… as I wait patiently for work to continue on my project my mind wanders.. and then wonders about solutions seeking problems.

Seriously though, I have always liked fog lights. I live near a forest and it is not uncommon to have fog.

Also our cars are so small anything to make them stand out is probably a good idea. My plan is to make my car a daily driver so “being seen” is bit of a concern of mine. I am also making more or less a custom dashboard so looking for good places to put switches while keeping things close to original (note: I will not be installing a radio so that space is free).

Here in the EU a rear fog light has been mandatory since the early 80’s. Daytime running lights since the early 2000’s. Googling has not really brought up a lot of examples, mostly rally cars that are too big and bodacious.

Can we please not have discussions on whether putting any of these things on a Spitfire is a good idea or not. As I have said often: there are actual people who actually enjoy Morris Dancing; to each his own!

This is purely a thought exercise. Nothing more nothing less

Regulations in Germany are over and above those of most EU countries but don’t let that worry you.

Questions/musings/general inconsequential incoherent ramblings:

1.     1 I know the last batch of European Spitfires actually had rear fog lights. I think I have a pick in one of the books I have:
Does anyone have a picture of one that was originally fitted?
Ideally I would like to see the standard switch on the inside as well as any clues as to how it was wired.

2.2 Front fog lights were fairly common in the 60s and 70s. I would like something subtle and close to period but I am really open to anything.
Any pictures appreciated with switches and ideas for wiring.

3.  3    Daytime running lights tend to be cold blue/white and could clash with the soft warm white/yellow our cars produce (until LEDs become legal where I live).
Nevertheless I am looking at options.
Please post. I promise not to judge.

Thank you all in advance!

45 minutes ago, DVD3500 said:

As I have said often: there are actual people who actually enjoy Morris Dancing; to each his own!

OI!! Watch it. (I just like the music to be honest.... :)  )

1.11.80 was the date for the UK; anything afterwards had to have rear fogs.

Seriously tho, the twin front fog / spot configuration seems very popular on the Spitfire:

7e34979d85bcdcd37a201d05b66c47e9.jpg.9c40629abd488194a342bae48f20efde.jpg C21F16F8-3831-450B-AD4F-C129F41419E5.jpg.662ee322fa990d1a69b5331219fe2f8f.jpg triumph-spitfire-1977-t9704-043.jpg.3475e816ada56bc0c4a68b491a6d3b3b.jpg

• Like 1

Would your normal side lights with replacement led bulbs to brighten them up conform to German regs? Led bulbs can be obtained in various colour ranges. 

I replaced mine and the sides and brake lights are much better. 

Iain 

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

Led bulbs can be obtained in various colour ranges. 

I replaced mine and the sides and brake lights are much better. 

I have fitted LEDs for the brake lights and rear lights so as to be more visible to people behind. However I haven't done anything to the front ones, so I can still sneak up on people . . .😉

• Haha 1

Thanks guys

Technically LEDs are not allowed on the outside of the car except for rare exceptions.

osram and Philips habe road legal H4 (and H7) replacements BUT they have to test

every

single 

flipping

car

and the  have it approved and added to the documentation.

now my car will have to go through a special inspection and approval as I am adding things that were not standard (but common) so I will try to add LEDs to the list and get approval.

worst case is he says no!

There are LED fog/drl and rear fog/brake lights that are approved…

Before it was Dismantled by the P-O, my 13/60 (1971) had wipac matched Fog and Reversing lights, this I know as they are in the "kit of parts" both mounted behind the rear fender in front of the valance by the sign of the holes/brackets.

Are not most German built moderns equiped with LED`s. on rear and all riding lights. I know most of the local Beamers have LED`s everywhere!!.

Pete

Fog Lights
At the back I know a few people have replaced one of the reversing light bulbs with a red fog light LED, so still looks standard.
At the front one of my many (many) daydream jobs is to find some suitable modern fog lights and fab. them into the Mk IV/1500 chin spoiler.

Daytime Running Lights
The easy option would be to fit some 'halo' headlights.  Well I guess the REALLY easy option would be to rewire so your sidelights via an ignition-switched relay, so they came on as soon as you turned the key in the ignition.  Actually if you did that you might be able to use the now-unused 'sidelight' light swiitch position for your fog lights (either using the sidelight position for headlights/headlight position for headlights+fog lights, or sidelight posiition for fog lights only/headlight position for headlights only - I know in the big saloons the fog light position gave fog lights on/headlights off, which was scary as the fog lights did diddly squat on the illumiination front the one time Ii tried them in actual fog!).

3 hours ago, Mjit said:

Fog Lights
At the back I know a few people have replaced one of the reversing light bulbs with a red fog light LED, so still looks standard.
At the front one of my many (many) daydream jobs is to find some suitable modern fog lights and fab. them into the Mk IV/1500 chin spoiler.

Daytime Running Lights
The easy option would be to fit some 'halo' headlights.  Well I guess the REALLY easy option would be to rewire so your sidelights via an ignition-switched relay, so they came on as soon as you turned the key in the ignition.  Actually if you did that you might be able to use the now-unused 'sidelight' light swiitch position for your fog lights (either using the sidelight position for headlights/headlight position for headlights+fog lights, or sidelight posiition for fog lights only/headlight position for headlights only - I know in the big saloons the fog light position gave fog lights on/headlights off, which was scary as the fog lights did diddly squat on the illumiination front the one time Ii tried them in actual fog!).

Do you mean the "side light" is the middle position of the standard switch in the middle of the dash?

I would have to check if one of the reversing lights can be repurposed legally in Germany. I have seen a youtube video of this but I am fairly certain it is not 100% kosher.

18 hours ago, Josef said:

Not coming out too well, but here are the bits on original fog lights on the last Spitfires from the John Thomason originally guide. 

PNG image.png

image.jpg

Thanks.. I actually have that book too. Thanks for reminding  me! Do you know if the switch was a button or twist? I presume it lit up when on...

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

Do you mean the "side light" is the middle position of the standard switch in the middle of the dash?

I would have to check if one of the reversing lights can be repurposed legally in Germany. I have seen a youtube video of this but I am fairly certain it is not 100% kosher.

Thanks.. I actually have that book too. Thanks for reminding  me! Do you know if the switch was a button or twist? I presume it lit up when on...

It's a pull switch, but very hard to find - at least, it was a while back when another member was trying to find one. It lights up when pulled. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It's a pull switch, but very hard to find - at least, it was a while back when another member was trying to find one. It lights up when pulled. 

Thanks!

While I want things to match as close as possible if it is a choice between an original at 50 of your favorite currency and 10 for something that is darn close I would lean towards the latter... 😄

Well, I’d didn’t know if it lit up, but Colin beat me to it anyway. Part no is TKC5067 and there’s been a few on eBay apparently, not for crazy prices either. Mick Dolphin has it in his Dolomite list, that says ‘see TSSC list’ and it’s not on there. I’d assume cause he’s sold them all, but an e-mail to ask wouldn’t hurt. 

I know we looked for them a while ago  but whilst a lot of suppliers tempt us by listing them, they're then marked unavailable.

Best option is probably to utilise another pull-switch of the period, the Lucas version with the amber light on the end as used in Landrovers is quite nice. I presume it's mandatory to have them illuminated, or at least have a warning light somewhere about in front of the driver.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I know we looked for them a while ago  but whilst a lot of suppliers tempt us by listing them, they're then marked unavailable.

Best option is probably to utilise another pull-switch of the period, the Lucas version with the amber light on the end as used in Landrovers is quite nice. I presume it's mandatory to have them illuminated, or at least have a warning light somewhere about in front of the driver.

Yes the must be illuminated (well technically if they were not originally they don't have to be but it is easier if they meet modern standards... LEDs make that fairly easy...)

I think I have seen that Land Rover switch somewhere...

I will look for TKC5067  though..I have plenty of time!

5 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

Oil slick... Oh wait that isn't funny on a Triumph! 😄

Not at all. 

I hit oil/diesel patch  and slid off the road, rolling my spitfire. Back in 2008, a lifetime ago.

I  still twitchy if I can see an oil "Bloom" on the the road. 

As you were....