Just joined the forum...

I'm determined to be patient and not wildly buy the first car I see (as some of you have noted!) however this popped up on eBay today.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403624957467

It seems exactly what I want but having a reserve puts me off a little. Wonder what it is? Also, this is 300 miles away from me so I'd have to buy it unseen and undriven and get it delivered. But the biggest issue is he's demanding payment before collection. That's a new one to me. Is there anyone local to Newcastle that could go have a looksie? Before I have a bid I'd love someone from here to give the car the once over!

Alex

19 minutes ago, Piglet said:

I'm determined to be patient and not wildly buy the first car I see (as some of you have noted!) however this popped up on eBay today.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403624957467

It seems exactly what I want but having a reserve puts me off a little. Wonder what it is? Also, this is 300 miles away from me so I'd have to buy it unseen and undriven and get it delivered. But the biggest issue is he's demanding payment before collection. That's a new one to me. Is there anyone local to Newcastle that could go have a looksie? Before I have a bid I'd love someone from here to give the car the once over!

Alex

Wrong end of teh coutry for me.

Looks to be a pretty decent car, retsoratin was not top end as floor edges repaired, but not a big issue. The reserve is because the seller wants £xxx for it, and won't sell for less. What teh xxx is who knows. But I would guess at least 6k.

The bit about full payment before collection is odd. Maybe he has sold it befor eand people have backed out once they saw it? We just bought an MX5 for my daughter, chap didn't want a penny until we saw/test drove the car. All was as expected so fine. 

9 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Can't be doing with reserve prices. Just come out and say what the minimum is you will accept instead of mucking everyone about inching the bids up til you find what it is.

Agree. Everything I sell on ebay is fixed price (with offers, but autoreject anything silly)

It makes kife better for everybody if you start at the minimum you will take. Do people really get that caught up with bidding? Most seem to bid up until it is no longer a bargain.

As mentioned in other posts I am a great believer of 'sniping'. I don't get into a bidding war that way. I decide what it's worth to me, snipe that figure and leave it. I either win and pay up or look for another one later. Much easier and you don't get the internet going down 60 seconds before the close of bidding or the phone/doorbell ringing.

16 hours ago, clive said:

The bit about full payment before collection is odd. Maybe he has sold it before and people have backed out once they saw it?

It may be to avoid haggling on scene; some dodgy guy turns up with a flatbed and a wad of cash and starts to renegotiate in the hope of a reduction in price by browbeating the seller down a bit.

With a reserve on a car I'll usually wait to see what it doesn't sell for, then see if it's reduced any when relisted.

Also for that price I’d want the driver’s door to fit better! Might just be adjustment but could also be the sill having been fitted too far in. Not too keen on the plate over repairs on the edge of the floor apparent from the shot of the underside too.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see a MK3 the other day and I was astounded by how good it was. The owner took me for a test drive and the little car just took off like a scalded rat!  The interior was lovely, engine was bonkers and it's everything I want in a Spitfire. I tried and tried to justify the asking price (which was actually very fair for what work has been done) but it was just too much for me. I'm rather sad now as every other one I go to see will be compared to this one! However there is one more to view and I'll be doing that on Wednesday and report back here.

Alex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lady BW & I did something similar....with our house!!! It just put it's 'arms' around us and said buy me. We are still here 25+ years later. Yes, ruled by the heart 💖. Would we do it again in the same circumstances, but would need to be years younger...most certainly.

35 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Lady BW & I did something similar....with our house!!! It just put it's 'arms' around us and said buy me. We are still here 25+ years later.

Very similar with the last house we had in England. It felt like a favourite jacket, button missing, misshaped at the elbows, stain on the lapel . . . We just had to buy it. When we bought it the outside had been painted salmon pink, for visitors we just said where we were and 'you won't miss it'