Just joined the forum...

Hi everyone!

New to the forum but not new to the world of Spitfires having owned six many, many years ago.  In fact my last Spit was about 30 years ago now and I've decided I need another in my life so I'm on the hunt for a MK3. In my opinion the prettiest of all the Spitfires. Prices clearly have sky rocketed since I last owned one but I think if I don't get one now they'll be priced out of my range.

So any tips you can give me will be very helpful. I'm based in Shepperton Middx if there are any like minded Triumph nutters about!

Many thanks, Alex.

Hi Alex, welcome aboard! The Mk3 is also my favourite, I had the same thought as you that I’d best get one before they’re out of my price range. That’s turned in to a long, expensive restoration though, so shop around a bit better than I did! 

2B1F15EA-98DC-4E44-AD89-213045B48E81.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. 

Josef, your build thread was the first thing I read here. Amazing work and congats for saving a MK3!

I have my eye on one at the moment, I'll let you all know how that pans out. Must remember to bring a torch and a magnet lol.

Alex

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Josef said:

shop around a bit better than I did! 

My brother bought a "very tidy" Mk3 in 1986. Within two years it had turned out to be full of rust and mechanically worn out (although the non-working overdrive turned out to be down to a ham-fisted rebuild).

11-taxdisc.jpg.5bf99f5aa24d8fbe06dc081228fa4e67.jpg

Some thirty years later I finally got it back on the road.

SideOfRoadInDalesSmall.jpg.53d3ee3f5d42c7deede7d7d9aa16e069.jpg

Welcome, Alex, to a great forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking. A MK3 doesn't pop up that often on eBay and what is there are either resto projects or so called 'restored' that make me shiver just looking at the photos!  But I am determined and the search will continue. If anyone here knows of one going please let me know. I expect to do some work of course but I'd like a car that is road legal!

Alex

6 minutes ago, Piglet said:

Still looking. A MK3 doesn't pop up that often on eBay and what is there are either resto projects or so called 'restored' that make me shiver just looking at the photos!  But I am determined and the search will continue. If anyone here knows of one going please let me know. I expect to do some work of course but I'd like a car that is road legal!

Alex

I suspect the one I am selling is wrong budget, it has a club valuation of 18k, but I am more realistic about a sales value. It is also modified, and leaves GT6's for dead 

45 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Sounds like you`ve thrown down the challenge!.  You`ll have a long line of GT6 owners outside your "Gaff". Wanting to prove the metal?.😁

Pete

As said, it is modified. More power than a (standard) GT6, lighter and handles better. Yes, it has CV rotaflex. And teh thing will return 40mpg on the motorway, which amazed me. 

I know a few locals with GT6s, and although they mostly have a few "performance mods" are not interested in trying a comparison.... Maybe I need to get a 1/4 mile time for it? 

(for comparison, my other spitfire did a 14.8 1/4 mile at santa pod, but will be quicker now as it went to the tuner the next day who did many improvements, but even that is about 4 seconds ahead of a GT6)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clive said:

More power than a (standard) GT6, lighter and handles better.

I was going to say - I'm not going to challenge you because I know that a well-sorted moderately standard Spitfire will actually outrun my GT6 around the bends, and it doesn't take a lot to tune up a Spitfire to the point where it will hold its own on the straight.

One of our local members has a Hurricaine built on a Mk3 Spitfire chassis, with a Ford Zetec engine. That definitely leaves my GT6 for dead... until it breaks down, which (touch wood) my GT6 generally doesn't.

10 minutes ago, NonMember said:

One of our local members has a Hurricaine built on a Mk3 Spitfire chassis, with a Ford Zetec engine. That definitely leaves my GT6 for dead... until it breaks down, which (touch wood) my GT6 generally doesn't.

Jeepers, mt Zetec spitfire (NOT the mk3) has very rarely had an issue. It has properly broken down twice, both times with 3 days. Prop uj, then a loom "fire" but neither down to inheriant faults. Well, the loom maybe, but the source was never found. 

But my Triumphs rarely have issues, once sorted and decent parts used, they are super reliable. The problem is usually poor quality new parts.

1 minute ago, clive said:

The problem is usually poor quality new parts

+1 for that  

they are good reliable cars that have lasted all these years going on holidays or shopping trips etc there is no design reason to make them fail 

only lack of maintenance etc or the owner being the downfall 

Pete

34 minutes ago, clive said:

Jeepers, mt Zetec spitfire (NOT the mk3) has very rarely had an issue.

Well, the Hurricaine in question hasn't yet destroyed this engine (although the previous Zetec got killed before he went injection) but it's had the type 9 gearbox fail, the diff fail, the (uprated, Caterham) front bearings fail, lots of previous blown engines... it's a bit of a standing joke that any time Cambridge area plan a significant outing, that particular car will return on a recovery truck.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Piglet said:

Alex

A want ad in the Courier (and / or other magazines) might be worthwhile. That is actually how I got mine, though I’ll repeat myself to say don’t buy one like mine was :D

I hear you Josef! Then again, look at what you've done to her...fantastic work. I may well have to join the club (again!) and plonk an ad in there. Still kicking myself about 'the one that got away' (and no, not the Hardy Kruger film...)

Alex

23 hours ago, clive said:

I suspect the one I am selling is wrong budget, it has a club valuation of 18k, but I am more realistic about a sales value. It is also modified, and leaves GT6's for dead 

I appreciate the offer! But 18k is way too much for my meagre budget...

Alex

5 minutes ago, Piglet said:

I appreciate the offer! But 18k is way too much for my meagre budget...

Alex

We don't expect 18K, as said 2/3rd of insurance valuation is about right. But appreciate there are some good usable cars around for half that. 

Keep your eyes peeled and ear to teh ground. Ebay is probably not teh best place, but you never know. Plenty of people expect a figure, but eventually settle for rather less. A local chap bought a vitesse for a good deal less than the advertised price, and it is a pretty good car.