New replacement Sunroof - Vitesse

Paul H

Finally finished a new replacement sunroof and headlining . 
0C9E3C1F-38AF-4BD0-A4F5-3B9A82DA4907.thumb.jpeg.411d22ecfcae25209bc101b3da604a4e.jpegA7E2D664-1DE5-4FBE-AFA3-62A17DEB099B.thumb.jpeg.cc48aa37be5e556f2ecb41b9b7c2b634.jpeg

First one I’ve done and pleased with the result. If anybody needs any guidance more than happy to post how to do’s . This will ensure you don’t make every mistake known to man as I’ve got the T shirts . The headlining came from Pete Lewis . 
Paul 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Looks a superb job, do you want to do another? 

Have you tried the hose pipe test yet? 

Iain 

Already started on the next one for my son and his MGB GT. This will be a challenge as it doesn’t have a sunroof at present . What’s the best tool to cut the roof ?

Paul 

1 minute ago, NonMember said:

Do you fancy doing my GT6? It had a sunroof for many years; since about 2001 it's a hole with a "temporary" tin plate clipped into it.

I’ll pass on this but will gladly  advise on what is required , costing and how to’s and more important avoiding mistakes I made . For the headliner you will need access to a sewing machine . I used one of the old Singer machines which worked fine . Your access hole is approx 30” x 30” ?
Paul 

1 minute ago, Colin Lindsay said:

A lovely job! I can't help spotting those spares on the wall... in my garage, every time a door was slammed or there was some other vibration,  each of those would magically leap outwards and land on my bonnet. No matter how far away it was. 

I put them there so I can see them , if not I would buy them again 😱

Pau

• Like 1

Just now, Paul H said:

I put them there so I can see them , if not I would buy them again 😱

Pau

Out of sight, out of mind. Got caught myself with that even though I keep a 'stock' list. fortunately only 2 or 3 small items - distributor cap, red rotor arm and coil. Now I have a spare in my emergency box and a spare in my stock box . . Age!

Really nice job Paul. Hope the GT6 one goes well (especially, as I sold it to you!).

I think folk have used 1mm angle grinder discs, I don't know if the generated heat would cause distortion, wouldn't have thought so?, maybe do a bit at a time, different sides?.  Drill four corner holes first, though you probably know that.

9 hours ago, Paul H said:

Already started on the next one for my son and his MGB GT. This will be a challenge as it doesn’t have a sunroof at present . What’s the best tool to cut the roof ?

Paul 

Practise on a sample with similar thickness, but I use a Bosch jigsaw for this sort of thing. Max I have done is about 2ft square. Use a fine blade and a steady hand.

i have fitted a good few   britax glass pop ups over the years and its the drill the first hole takes some nerve

then as Paul  use  a  jigsaw    use plenty of masking tape and vacuum the swarf as you go you dont want swarf under the saws base plate or it 

gets hammered  into the paint .and it can get a bit vibro as the roof stiffness disappears 

if you use  a cutting wheel watch the sparks they can melt into glass and paint 

Pete

Plus: drill the hole inwards of the outer edge, not square in the middle of the line you want to cut. I've seen it done so many times, you use a thin saw to cut out the aperture and at one point you've got a large hole as the drill bit was wider than the saw blade. You can always dress the edge if the drill hole has left excess metal from being inside the dotted line...

• Thanks 1

Hello. Need to do this, or get it done, on my Vitese Estate. Vinyl o the original sunroof needs replaviong as well as general fettling of the mechanism. Any advice welcome, as well as suggestions aboujt wehre to source the materials needed. Thanks

Des