Rear leaf spring

Pdv

11 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Interestingly the Front Stamp has been imprinted with force the spring leaf appears to have bulged out locally where stamped.

Being right handed I put the bolts in rear to front so I can tap them in eg suspension bush bolts when aligning. But a Triumph publicity shot of the Vitesse Mk2 chassis painted multi colours to highlight components show the bolts front to rear. I ain't changing them!!

Vitesse Mk2 Chassis & Suspension.JPG

The other intersting feature of that Photo. is the run of the Rear brake pipework?. which is shown in front of the rear axle and not behind as my 13/60 is?. Is that a Ausie Build. OR KDC?.

Pete

22 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Just read online in another Triumph forum that back in the day springs were 'weighted' to the driver's side to prevent sag on that particular side, where the driver was in the vehicle much more than any passengers who would balance the weight.

If that was the case then the driver's side would have to be identifiable for fitment. It seems this practice eventually died out resulting in springs having the same weighting or strengthening on both sides, but some still display the word 'front'.

Wonder if that's true?

Humm, not sure I'm buying that myself.

First off a symetrical spring's going to be much cheaper to churn out than a biased one - and ours were cheap cars so every penny that could be pintched had to be.
Second it means you need either dedicated left/right hand steer spring or be marking one arm "Drivers Side" rather than an edge "Front".  And that's making the assembly line task more complex and so slower.

As others have said it was probably just to remove the ambiguity of "Which way around does this go?" on the line.  "Front" is unambiguous as every car on the line only has one front - even if it made no difference which way around the spring was actually fitted.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PeteH said:

The other intersting feature of that Photo. is the run of the Rear brake pipework?. which is shown in front of the rear axle and not behind as my 13/60 is?

That's because it's a Mk2 Vitesse. The pipework was different because of the Rotoflex suspension and lever-arm dampers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mjit said:

"Front" is unambiguous as every car on the line only has one front - even if it made no difference which way around the spring was actually fitted.

So we're back to the original point- if it says 'front' facing front, but the word is along the rear edge, then which is actually the front?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

The petrol tank and driver on opposite sides doesn't work on a GT6. 

Then what are all those Triumphs in the US and Europe, that look like a fastbacked Spitfire?

To have the driver and the fuel tank on the left was seen as a disadvantage in the US, where an optional dealer mod was a spacer under the lefthand front spring.    Mind you, the weight of an average American driver was probably more than a British one, in the 60s-70s!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JohnD said:

weight of an average American driver was probably more than a British one, in the 60s-70s!

You cannot use that yardstick to-day, Some of the British derriere`s one witnesses on our streets, rival those seen in the USA. But I do admit, the only time I have seen "super wide" wheelchairs was in Houston!. "Fat City USA" Allegedly😉.

Pete

7 hours ago, PeteH said:

You cannot use that yardstick to-day, Some of the British derriere`s one witnesses on our streets, rival those seen in the USA. But I do admit, the only time I have seen "super wide" wheelchairs was in Houston!. "Fat City USA" Allegedly😉.

Pete

Obesity rates US, 36%.    UK, 28%, fat that's nothing to be proud of, we are the Fat Man ( and Woman) of Europe.

12 hours ago, PeteH said:

The other intersting feature of that Photo. is the run of the Rear brake pipework?. which is shown in front of the rear axle and not behind as my 13/60 is?. Is that a Ausie Build. OR KDC?.

Pete

No a UK product there were no Aussie built CKD Vitesse's, there's only about 30 of all models in the country, I think they may have been assembled in NZ. The photo is a UK Triumph publicity print. The Herald 13/60 was never assembled in Aus either.

10 hours ago, JohnD said:

Obesity rates US, 36%.    UK, 28%, fat that's nothing to be proud of, we are the Fat Man ( and Woman) of Europe.

Yes I saw something similar a year or two back, In a "league table" HULL was Fat city UK. Having seen some of them, I can well believe it!! Sady, we having made much use of the NHS of late, I note there are many working in the Hospitals too, where you would think the "knowledge" (and understanding of risk) would be greater?

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

we having made much use of the NHS of late, I note there are many working in the Hospitals too, where you would think the "knowledge" (and understanding of risk) would be greater?

Pete

I know what you mean. Every time I have been to our local hospital for x rays, echos etc for me or Mrs. There is always a group of nurses and/or aids standing outside having a smoke. . .

14 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'll jump ahead of the 'expert' opinion here but isn't it true that GPs are no longer allowed to point out to patients that they're overweight, and recommend that they diet?

That's probably because the GPs are overweight and need to diet. . .

As it happens Mrs. has an appointement with a dietitian this afternoon, which means I'll probably be loosing weight over the next weeks & months . . .

• Haha 1

An interesting conflict here in Melb my sister in laws daughter by a previous marriage was booked in for surgery, the hospital rang her up the preceeding day to advise that they had to reschedule as the surgeon lived too near to her, opposite and 5 doors up, the surgeon neither knew her nor she him! The lass had just moved into the area after a messy divorce & undergoing Cancer treatment so knows no one in the area & the surgery was scheduled before the house move.

I think it's all getting a bit stupid!! My GP lives close I've known him 45 years the kids went to school together & I've helped him out a couple of times & recently when I tried ripping the side out of my right hand he sewed me up on the kitchen table before heading for his farm. He did charge me for my stupidity he said I might learn to wear gloves, well it was a Saturday morning!

"Obesity prevalence was high across all occupational groups including: among nurses (25.1%); other healthcare professionals (14.4%); non-health-related occupations (23.5%,); and unregistered care workers who had the highest prevalence of obesity (31.9%)."

Obesity prevalence among healthcare professionals in England: a cross-sectional study using the Health Survey for England ,  Kyle, Wills,  Mahoney et al,  https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/12/e018498

"High", yes, in relation to oter nations, but nurses, national average, 'others' (inc. doctors?) much less, other care workers much higher.     Being a doctor shows you how to be healthy, but nursing is a high stress occupation, so, sad to say, many nurses need a fag break.   Or people working in the hospital, who dress in a nurse-like uniform, take one.  Just being in scrubs doesn't make you a nurse!

In general, doctors are NOT overweight, in fact almost all of my acquaintance are whippet like!

John

One of the things I find Most frustrating about such. Is that many of those advocating Health and Well-being, are often not exactly the best advertisement for their Product!.

We have a dietition, amongs others advising my wife following the recent stroke. So far most of the advice has run counter to what was previously advised as being unsuitable for anyone undergoing Chemotherapy!. Little wonder we are "confused".

Pete

• 1 month later...

On 18/09/2022 at 09:35, Badwolf said:

My Dad once went to his GP. She waved her fag in his direction and said, you really need to give up these. Pot and kettle I think.

Assuming she was much older older, then perhaps  it would have been quite reasonable for her to add, “If If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself”

With the current retail price of a pack of 20 around £10.50. It`s little wonder that the countries Smokers are struggling with heating bills. The price of one pack would cover my bills for 1-1/2 to 2 days, and we have to keep the temp; up with My wife being on Blood thinners (for one).

Our Neighbour, 50 years ago, who worked in the NHS, would regularly joke "surgeons bury their mistakes". His anethetist, would allegedly take a glass of gin before surgery to steady his hands.

Pete