Rear spring lowering block

Pdv

Does using a lowering block stop the rear end tuck.

I have just refurbished the spring and wondered if it was worth fitting one at this point.

The car is a 13/60 and I am pretty sure it is original so although refurbished is obviously a little weaker now.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks 

Steve  

"Rear end tuck" is aka "jacking".  It is a known problem with a swing axle suspension.   It occurs if you do all the wrong things,like brake as you go into a corner too fast.

So, when Triumph announced their new, "All Independent Suspension" Herald, and the motoring Hacks, sorry, respected and knowledgeable motoring journalists, discovered that this meant swing axle, they set out to cause it, as soon as they were let loose in an example.

And wrote about it.  Ignoring the fact that many other cars, with names that they should have known well, like Mercedes (350SL) VW Beetle, Chevrolet Corvair, all had swing axle suspension.   And the fact that when not driven in a lunatic fashion it works well.

Triumph produced the swing AXLE in response to this unwarranted criticism, which was a brilliant modification, easy to produce, and implement on your earlier Triumph.

A raised spring lowers the suspension, putting it into more negative camber at rest, so that it has further to go before it gets into grossly positive, which is 'jack up/tuck'.   It works, but at the cost of a lower ride height.

John

This has been discussed many times before. I just carry the spares around with me. It adds the necessary weight over the axles and gets me out of trouble should I break down. Also useful for exchanging surplus bits at meet ups.

Unless you are going to race your car. Leave well alone. Most of us never experience 'Tuck under', even with spirited driving.

a lowering block is the cheapest and simplest way to improve the rear camber , i had awful experience when we added a swinger to the viteese6 

just went lower and lower sat on the shocker bump stops  and rolled like apig witht eh thicker ARB  the swinger came off and a courier fitted witha 1" lowering block 

now that was on rails  in comparison

many do get on witha swinger but if you run 4 up and boot full its just hopeless  (this was a Vitesse Kit from well known ) 

so my view remains just add a block you do need to remove  the studs to drop it in but it will make a good contribution to the look of the silly camber and its cheap

Pete

8 hours ago, Wagger said:

This has been discussed many times before. I just carry the spares around with me. It adds the necessary weight over the axles and gets me out of trouble should I break down. Also useful for exchanging surplus bits at meet ups.

Unless you are going to race your car. Leave well alone. Most of us never experience 'Tuck under', even with spirited driving.

Certainly good driving technique is the best way to avoid the problem👍

bit like engine start up knock  if drivers managed to induce any tuck under in any normal driving we wouldnt have any triumphs left to play with

you do have to be a complete nut to power into a roundabout and lift of through the turn inducing some serious roll loads that 

very few drivers would ever get themselves into unless they were confronted with that hopeless situation 

adding a block to improve the stance and road holding of the silly POSITIVE  camber is a well worth while improvement   we dont know why  Triumph started witha high negative other than 

it does keep aligned with full loaded droop  of the arc the axle travels under various  loads 

from my playing a 1/2" gives you 2deg pos     a 1" gives you 0 deg      that was on a courier spring 

camber corrected  Uncle P 

Pete