Silliest bodywork question(s) - ever!

Colin

Bloomin' 'eck, guys . . .

I turn the 'notifications' on but have missed most of the first 50% of your replies! It's clear there have been many permutations, over the years.

I can see the temptation (for me, too), of boarding the back of the aperture over, so as not to be able to see a hessian finish (ashes & sackcloth etc!).

As the dropping of the rear seat only requires unscrewing two lower nuts of studs (quick, if you place a spacer on the long-ish threads), it is/would be really quick to drop the rear seat to slide summat large in . . . nice photo, Colin L.

Colin L & Paul H:- again many thanks for the photos of button coat hook screw locations. Clearly it is NOT a captive nut as I thought. Just a threaded raised 'bump'. I shall need to do some gentle pushing and prodding to find the screw hole - Colin L - I can see your photo; shows two large holes and one smaller to the left. I assume you think my button screw should fit into the left hand, smaller threaded hole?

Best,

C.

11 minutes ago, Colin said:

I can see your photo; shows two large holes and one smaller to the left. I assume you think my button screw should fit into the left hand, smaller threaded hole?

Best,

C.

I had thought button was in the centre and the coat hook using the two outers; you'll need some kind of clip, or rawlplug, for the screw.

Colin L; you are, I think, saying none of that combination of holes is internally threaded to receive my button threaded bolt??

From your photo I can't see that it would even be possible to get behindthem to strategically place a fixing piece (spire nut etc)?

I may have to leave it! I can't justify taking a new headlining apart for the sake of a coat button!! 

I'll have to hang my coat on the aerial, like the others!! 😉

Found a photo online of a saloon roof; same setup as my Estate, with the three holes in a row, on a panel on either side but there's a slot I hadn't seen and this is presumably for spire clips. I may be able to access it on mine as the headlining is awaiting glue, but for yours Colin stick with the rawl plug idea!

315103566_10229479099105201_5096252268580384281_n.thumb.jpg.80268657ec8dc42dfcf998001f67a10a.jpg

Hey Colin! 

Thanks for that! As I entitled the post - it's a really silly enquiry.

Great photo, though - makes it abundantly clear where I need to go!

No-one yet has told me if any of those 3 holes are threaded. My hunch is they probably were - otherwise my Mick Dolphin button 'hook' would surely not have a threaded screw through it!?!

Of course, with headlining in already, I'm loathe to poke a hole through it not being certain . . . !! 😉

Best,

C.

Interesting to see that there are two in your roof, (the two that are towards the rear of that strengthener panel) but three in both the saloon and the estate roofs I've pictured. I wonder if there was a cross-over point, between the early two-screw hook, and the later single screw button, so they opted for either for a time?

Thanks Pimp my Vit  . . . . Yep! Those Spire clips will be there when you put them there!! Nice looking renovation, there - anti-drum material even in the roof - Nice!

With my headlining having been replaced, I'm literally at the 'poking-holes-in-the-lining' stakes and would rather not get it wrong!

As Colin said earlier, if I can locate one of the suitable holes, a rawlplug element would probably be required in my case, as I don't suppose for a minute there are any clips located at the holes!

Cheers,

C.

I think its intended to be a double hook the hole thro the bottom for a coat hanger then a hook for hanging a coat/shirt from, quite ingenious but how functional I don't know.

I've only ever had Triumphs as 'work on's' so assumed it was from there as the daily drivers were always new cars so weren't touched,

A mystery thanks for your comments

• 1 month later...

Chaps:- 

Just to add to my silliness . . . in the footwell, the (my) outer side cards used to have chrome plated aluminium channelled finishing strips running up the back (door edge).

In my car, these disappeared a long time ago. Having seen many, many (renovations included) Herald photos, I can't recall seeing any with such embellishments.

Do any of your cars sport these minor detail finishing elements?

Moreover, has anyone any idea if they are still available?? 

Cheers,

Colin. 

1 hour ago, Colin said:

in the footwell, the (my) outer side cards used to have chrome plated aluminium channelled finishing strips running up the back (door edge).

Do any of your cars sport these minor detail finishing elements?

Yes, at least two of mine have had them, but they were both Vitesses. I'm not sure whether the bright trim was there on Heralds.