Silliest bodywork question(s) - ever!

Colin

Gents:- 

2 things:- 

1) My 1970 1147 saloon car's recently been renovated. The company concerned missed putting back the coat hook that sat just over the nearside rear side window and the roof has had a new headlining. So now I can't figure out where the receiving captive nut is, along the window's length or how far up - I have been unable to detect its location by pressing/poking with my finger!

Can anyone tell me/does anyone have a roof currently not installed who can measure and report back where it should be located, please?

2) Before renovation, the car was covered over in a barn for a decade. Recently, my dear wife helped me strip the old, mickey-nibbled hessian off the back of the rear bench seat and having bought some similar & appropriate hessian, stitch the new into position. In 35 years of ownership, I have only ever known the seat to have this hessian visibly exposed, especially when seen from within the boot, of course. But it did cause me to wonder if this was the original finish for said seat? Is everyone else's seat finished with this hessian? Or am I missing a vinyl back covering or similar??

There. I said these were daft matters!!

All thoughts gratefully received as usual 🙂

Best,

Colin.

2022 08 01 Seat Replaced In Car.jpg

Coat Hook 2022 11 27.jpg

The boot should have a hardboard panel, certainly in the convertible model; I don't know if the saloon had a separate one, screwed to the frame, or if it was attached to the seat.

The coat hook 'button' is attached to the roof about two inches back from the rear window pillar on the passenger side, maybe half an inch above the glass seal. If I can find photos of either, I'll post asap.

The rear vertical side panels are rebated to take a millboard separation panel with holes in the rebates for panel clips also my early convertible CKD assembled rear tub had a very thin angle iron about 18 in long that screwed into the rear axle hump and the millboard also clipped to. The angle iron has to be removed to remove the spring/diff inspection hatch. 

Don't know if this was an Aussie CKD AMI assembled mod or original Triumph fitment. Photo supplied if wanted.

50 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

The rear vertical side panels are rebated to take a millboard separation panel with holes in the rebates for panel clips also my early convertible CKD assembled rear tub had a very thin angle iron about 18 in long that screwed into the rear axle hump and the millboard also clipped to. The angle iron has to be removed to remove the spring/diff inspection hatch. 

Don't know if this was an Aussie CKD AMI assembled mod or original Triumph fitment. Photo supplied if wanted.

That sounds like the same thing as my UK model 13/60 conv has. Might be different for the saloon though. 

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The boot should have a hardboard panel, certainly in the convertible model; I don't know if the saloon had a separate one, screwed to the frame, or if it was attached to the seat.

The coat hook 'button' is attached to the roof about two inches back from the rear window pillar on the passenger side, maybe half an inch above the glass seal. If I can find photos of either, I'll post asap.

My Vitesse saloon has the panel screwed to the frame 

Paul 

10 hours ago, Paul H said:

My Vitesse saloon has the panel screwed to the frame 

Paul 

I haven't had a saloon in many years, but never actually used the feature of the folding rear seat which was in the early models; this meant that you could put bulky objects into the boot and out across the rear of the seat. That being the case any board would need to be attached to the rear of the seat so that the aperture would be available; if it's attached to the frame then it can't be easily removed; but did this feature continue to the later cars? I made a new board for the convertible but it just pins to the frame with trim clips.

IMG_1932.jpg.5a1c6d7223511911b10cd72f46357eda.jpg

I've only been able to find one photo of the interior coat 'button', it's a Vitesse in Mike Costigan's book:

6DC70AB3-87BE-45AD-BCC4-CBEAE55DAF89_1_105_c.jpg.1af26fb3cde014a848a0a0d4b3fa1be3.jpg

12 hours ago, Josef said:

That sounds like the same thing as my UK model 13/60 conv has. Might be different for the saloon though. 

My 13/60 convertible has a board, but don't forget the convertible has the well for the hood so does need a separation between boot & back of seat. To be honest I can't say if the back of the seat is hessian or not, never really looked 🙄

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

the feature of the folding rear seat which was in the early models

I've never seen that on a Herald or Vitesse. They must have dropped the feature quite early on, probably as a cost saving, at which point they probably also deleted the hardboard panel from saloons as a further cost saving.

15 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I've never seen that on a Herald or Vitesse. They must have dropped the feature quite early on, probably as a cost saving, at which point they probably also deleted the hardboard panel from saloons as a further cost saving.

Believe it or not, I just found a photo as I was reading your post! Again from Mike's reference book, it shows the seat folded down, but also shows a trim panel over the hessian presumably for protection and a more 'upmarket' look. I think I have a 948 rear seat in the roofspace, I'll check it later and see if it's covered.

B5D84085-FD5E-4F5B-B406-722AD14CB5C5_1_105_c.jpg.473ea1d304bd1d3feb931cf4ee9dc677.jpg

My original and unrestored 1965 12/50 has the hessian showing on the seat back as does another unrestored and very original 20k mile 1966 Herald I looked at recently. (as well as several other 1200 & 12/50 saloons I've seen over the years)

Looks as though this is how they were built

This is one from my own garage; it has the two outer holes for the silver cuphook of earlier cars plus the single central hole for the later button. You can see where it sits with regard to the B-post pillar; this is the passenger side looking up so there's a definite raised area where it sits.

E8638AF2-A922-4A89-BB08-C8D1B409E060_1_105_c.jpg.825a6307d728a644941ba4dea5a36f94.jpg

35 minutes ago, PeteH said:

You don`t hang the coat to the Radio Airel Then?.😁, (i`ll get mine).

It wouldn't work on mine as the ariel is retractable 🤔

Speaking of retractable Ariel's, a while ago I returned to my parked Herald to find a couple of 30 somethings looking at the visible part of the ariel and were wondering what it was. They were completely lost on the conspet.

11 hours ago, Chris A said:

My 13/60 convertible has a board, but don't forget the convertible has the well for the hood so does need a separation between boot & back of seat. To be honest I can't say if the back of the seat is hessian or not, never really looked 🙄

Ohhhh, I missed that this was about the back of the actual seat cushion assembly. I thought what Peter T was describing was the bit that holds the bottom of the panel that separates the convertible hood well from the boot.