Spitfire Mk IV History

tim smallshaw

I have just bought a Spitfire IV and was wondering if anyone knows any history about  this car. It is a 1974 MkIV in mimosa yellow reg no VYA576M. 

I bought it as a non-runner having been stored since approx 2010 in a dry garage in Ashbourne, Derbyshire. Paint and interior are a bit tatty but overall looks to be solid. I'm just going over the car now but it should be back on the road soon, so another Spitfire will be off the SORN list. :) 

So far I have got the engine running (runs beautifully - just needed fuel system draining and going over) and have freed off the clutch so after 13 years it can move under its own steam. Suspension, brakes and steering to be checked before first run out across the Peak District.

Any knowledge about the car anyone has will be appreciated. 

there are a few notes on DVLA mot checker from 2011  some passes and a fail 

TRIUMPH SPITFIRE - Check MOT History – GOV.UK (check-mot.service.gov.uk)

an MOT is always advisable but make sure the V% has it registered as a historic vehicle or the exemption will keep demanding a MOT 

but always a good thing to have for peace of mind on Braking etc

Pete

Thanks Pete - that stacks up with the paperwork given with the car (last MOT). Looks like the mileometer has stopped working because it was the same on all reports and still reads the same. 

Good advice about the MOT test - I am going through the whole car before driving on the road but will get it tested. (I did the same with my Vitesse)

Cheers, Tim

Come on Doug even the German TUV will pass tyres up to 10 years old. If yours havent been sitting everyday in strong sunlight theyll still be good - lets face it most of our cars arent at the limits of tyre abilities either in terms of engine power or form of conduction😁 Think of the planet if not your wallet...

• Haha 1

we had a local  vitesse with 20 yr old tyres  it would spin its wheel at any acceleration like 20mph   

its not the wear thats the problem  its  they do  loose any grip ability  as they age  and become very skitish   

its all you have between you and the tarmac    why risk  a ditching 

Pete

1 hour ago, johny said:

Come on Doug even the German TUV will pass tyres up to 10 years old. If yours havent been sitting everyday in strong sunlight theyll still be good - lets face it most of our cars arent at the limits of tyre abilities either in terms of engine power or form of conduction😁 Think of the planet if not your wallet...

It is the braking and "emergency manoevers" where it all goes wrong. A corner that is sharper than you expect, or kiddie runs across teh road. That is the type of scenario that haunts me, especially after I rolled a spitfire due to a bit of diesel on a damp corner BUT I had fitted a pair o new tyres to teh front 24hrs earlier, the rears were about 10 years old and had about 3mm of tread. I do wonder if I had fitted 4 new tyres the outcome may have been different. And I was well within the speed limit. 

£200 or so for a set of tyres every 7-10 years is a small price to pay

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

we had a local  vitesse with 20 yr old tyres  it would spin its wheel at any acceleration like 20mph   

its not the wear thats the problem  its  they do  loose any grip ability  as they age  and become very skitish   

its all you have between you and the tarmac    why risk  a ditching 

Pete

not surprising but 20 years is a lot more than Doug's 6 year old tyres!

The ones on the 13/60, are at least 10 years old, and look it!!. Lots of tread, but that "shiney" look that hard rubber takes on when its past it`s "best". Ok for pushing around the garage, and even towing to a paint shop if necessary. But when finished it WILL get a set of new boots.

My First R-V came from the USA as a self Import, TYres looked Ok, but within the first 3 months I had 2 blowouts Both rear inners fortunately. 6 new tyres went on, at around £180 a wheel.

Pete

43 minutes ago, johny said:

Sorry Doug just replaced my Vitesse 25+ year old tyres with new ones (and shamefully they werent worn out). If I was that worried like Clive about accidents I wouldnt be driving an ABS, airbag free, 60 year old design car😁

Fret not. I now rarely have tyres over 5 years old, they wear out by then. And I happily drive my car to the limit. Well, almost, I have never taken it over 118mph 🤐

• Like 1

I was driving west on a dual carriage way section of the A27 near Chichester.  On the inside lane was a HGV followed by a motorhome.  The motorhome driver decided to overtake the HGV and as I was approaching accelerated to 60 mph.  All of a sudden there was a load bang which caused me to brake hard, and I was still 60 metres behind the motorhome.  One of the rear tyres on the motorhome had exploded. I guess that the tyres on the motorhome were little worn but had been sitting out in the sun for many years so as soon as they were put under stress one had catastrophically failed.  He managed to pull onto the hard shoulder with no further damage.

Last year I replaced all four tyres on the Spitfire as, although little worn, had been fitted for 10 years even though kept in a dark garage. 

I had been looking at the tyres on the Spitfire, as said earlier in the thread they haven't turned in 13-ish years (don't know how old they were when it was parked up). It is one of those things, they look ok and hold air but are probably flat-spotted if nothing else.

I had already decided to replace all the suspension rubber bushes so why not do the tyres as well - they are a pretty significant part of the suspension, steering & brakes. Once on the road i was planning to include insure my daughter on the insurance so if she is driving it I'm taking no risks.

Also, having moved from the south coast to the peak district i have been told that there are days when it is not blue skies and sunshine. Will probably need all the tyre grip i can get.

23 hours ago, tim smallshaw said:

I had been looking at the tyres on the Spitfire, as said earlier in the thread they haven't turned in 13-ish years (don't know how old they were when it was parked up). It is one of those things, they look ok and hold air but are probably flat-spotted if nothing else.

I had already decided to replace all the suspension rubber bushes so why not do the tyres as well - they are a pretty significant part of the suspension, steering & brakes. Once on the road i was planning to include insure my daughter on the insurance so if she is driving it I'm taking no risks.

Also, having moved from the south coast to the peak district i have been told that there are days when it is not blue skies and sunshine. Will probably need all the tyre grip i can get.

Think carefully before replacing all the rubber bushes, especially if it is just because they are 40 years old, the original will be better than any new replacement rubber parts, and many poly substitutes are very poor.

pick the right poly replacement and you will be fine of course.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Think carefully before replacing all the rubber bushes, especially if it is just because they are 40 years old, the original will be better than any new replacement rubber parts, and many poly substitutes are very poor.

Yes, that's I leaned after, doing replacing mine with Polys (mine were bulging and cracked at the ends, though are often fine)

On 31/01/2023 at 17:52, johny said:

As some one who works in the industry (42 years now and counting), it really depends on the make and where they where made.  Please please never never buy cheap tyres, under the pretence that we do very little mileage.  Ive seen the testing, it an't pretty if the compounds are not correct.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1