GT6 mk3 standard wheels

Hello.  For reasons I won't go into here I have ended up with a mish mash of wheels on my car.  It's gonna be easier to just buy a set of 4 off of another car.  Will spitfire 13" 5.5J's fit on a GT6 mk3?  In the past I would have just assumed they did, but during the restoration of my car I have discovered that a lot of bits are subtly different between gt6 and spitfire and that wheels can have different offsets leading to wheel rub.  I want 175 r13 75 tyres on my car with standard steel wheels.Thankyo

Thank you for your replies.  I just wondered about the 5.5's as I think that's the size rim I had the on the car on the when it was on the road.  I currently have 2 x 5.5's (I think these are my original wheels), a 5.5 with a different offset and a 4.5.  Had all the wheels powder coated and tyres fitted to them before we realised they didn't match. Damned annoying.  Very angry about it (not angry with the current restorers as they are doing their best with what's been a difficult restoration to say the least).

29 minutes ago, Nearly There said:

Had all the wheels powder coated and tyres fitted to them before we realised they didn't match. Damned annoying.

I had a set of Mk3 Spitfire / Herald / Vitesse wheels powder coated before realising one of them was a 3.5J but at least I still has a correct set of four. It is annoying.

1 minute ago, NonMember said:

I had a set of Mk3 Spitfire / Herald / Vitesse wheels powder coated before realising one of them was a 3.5J but at least I still has a correct set of four. It is annoying.

Ouch yes and for a 3.5J it looks like the max recommended size is only a 145!

4 hours ago, Nearly There said:

I want 175 r13 75 tyres

I think 175/70 R13 might be the closest option. This works well with 5.5" rims but could be a bit wide for 4.5".

As you already have two 5.5" rims you could put those on the rear and find one 4.5" to go with your existing one on the front. 5.5" original pattern steel wheels might be difficult to find and expensive.

I did have 13x5.5J steels on my GT6 mk2 for many years before changing to Cobra Supaslots. Both now sold, as I am running 13x5.5 Revolutions (+25mm ET with 6mm spacers).

Ian

2 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

This works well with 5.5" rims but could be a bit wide for 4.5".

My experience with a 175/70 on a 4.5J.13" rims on my Spitfire as purchased was although they fitted, they were too wide leading to lateral instability (wobble).  They were replaced by 155/80 tyres which improved the handling.  175 tyres would be better suited to the 5.5" rims. 

Cant see any small chassis car would have got 5.5J as original if the recommended tyre was 155. Looks like the last of the Spitfire went to 5J so maybe they upped the tyre size a little? Rimmers do there own 5.5J steel wheels in the old style as an after market option...

Thank you all for your help.  I take it then that Spitfire (Mk4/1500) 13" 5.5j's are compatible with GT6 mk3.  I mean, it sems like an obvious thing that they do.  I can't see any reason why they would be different. I just thought I would double check before buying any.

1 hour ago, Nearly There said:

Ah, okay.  Thanks Rob.  There was a listing for a set of 5.5's on ebay that had come off of a Mk4 Spitfire.  The listing has ended now, so missed out on them unfortunately.  I will contact the seller to see if they are available though.

Don't always trust what the owner says, I have seen quite a few 3.5j early wheels listed as 4.5 as they have a ruler measuring the wrong bit. There were no spitfire 5.5j wheels so the listing was not correct unless maybe Ford or aftermarket wheels

15 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

wider tyres will add effort to low speed manoeuvres  and you wont gain any grip as the footprint is controlled by load and pressures 

so the contact remains  the same  unless you change one of the two parameters 

pete

You beat me to it... albeit 14 hours ago. Wider wheels are not always an improvement.

Yes, the Mk4 and 1500 Spit were all 4.5J with the so called "oval hole" pattern, and the same wheel was fitted to the GT6 Mk3 too. Did I say all? All except the very last 1500 Spits (1yr or 18 months of production) got 5J oval hole pattern. Dunlop, who made these wheels for Triumph, made a 5.5J wheel for the after-market. I've heard people mention Formula Ford, but they fit Spits and GT6s just fine. These, like the 5J, are visually identical to the standard 4.5J wheel.

You may get some rubbing on the front arches with wider tyres (175 and 185), but you can roll the lip of the arch to overcome this.

Do I recall someone saying that there may be a problem with wider tyres rubbing on the inner arch at the rear on short shaft cars - that's Mk4 Spits and the GT6s. Can anyone throw any light that?

Beware! There is another oval hole 5J wheel made by Dunlop which has completely the wrong offset for our cars. I thought I was getting a bargain at last year's SEM, but it was one of these :(

Cheers, Richard