Thickness of metal fuel pipe

daverclasper

Hi. Vitesse is outside all year, so will be some damp conditions. There is some rusting/pitting of fuel line in the engine bay. Thinking that removing/treating rust to stop it getting worse, though would feel more confident if had an idea of roughly how thick the metal is?. For example, if say about 1mm, should be ok, 1.5 mm, even better.

Thanks Dave

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

roughly how thick the metal is?

A broad approximation would be: assume 5/16'' (o.d.) Bundy tubing then wall thickness will be about 1/32'' (ish). At less than 1mm even a fairly innocuous looking bit of pitting can easily have a pinhole at the bottom.

Thanks, useful info.

The pipe area across the front of the engine, is held by a clip that is fastened by a bolt through, (I think ?) ,the water pump housing and into block.

Do you think the seal of housing to block would be undisturbed and therefore ok if I removed this bolt and refitted it?

Thanks

Edited by daverclasper

12 minutes ago, Iain T said:

No it's fine, done that when I fitted a rubber lined P clip. I'm not partial to chaffing😬

Thanks Iain. I thought it would be, as has not been disturbed since I bought the car 10 years ago, so probably, well bonded together, if you get my drift

Yes, olive fitted round pipe then tightened by the screw fitting. Make sure you get the proper Imperial size, it seals better than a close metric fitting, plus there are different versions of olive, but I've always found the plain type best. (Some have a band in the centre, no idea why as I've found them they are harder to fit / seal.)

Thanks Colin.  Intending to buy from Paddocks. So, Mines a Mk1 2Litre Vitesse, that has 1/4" pipe throughout (I understand the Mk2 has 5/16" from pump to carbs?).  Going by their website, I can buy 1/4" pipe and also the T piece section that goes to the carbs, though this appears a generic part. if this is the 5/16" size, do you think I can get my existing 1/4" hose on with a bit of persuasion? 

Hi

I ran 8mm O/D "copper" when I had the chassis stripped, there is an awakward section under the rear tub where there is a hose joint on the original, and one under the front tub too. I joined it with an 8mm "enots" fitting`s, and ran all the clips in protective plastic conduit. The hose section(s) under the body are not a very good example of "good engineering"

Pete.

Had trouble with the compression fitting sealing on the outlet from the petrol pump, 2L Mk1 Vitesse, so fitted a small O ring pump side off olive which solved the issue.

Think the larger bore petrol pipe on M2 Vitesse is only between tank and pump but I'm often wrong.

Regards

Paul.

Weepy olives, are mostly down to them not being annealed properly, if at all, I go for copper ones if I can get them, or dangle them on a wire in the gas ring until red and plunge into water or oil. A lot of outlets will sell 8mm olives for 5/16 too. Enough difference to allow leakage due to the tolerances.

Pete

HI. Have fitted new pipe and T piece. Not started car yet to check for leaks.

One thing. I removed the bolt (mentioned previously) which holds the pump housing and petrol pipe P clip. The bolt was wet with coolent and the hole weeping slightly.

I wasn't  expecting this, is it a problem?

Thanks, Dave

Thanks folks. All good now

One thing. After fitting the new pipe work, though not connected to carbs yet as I wanted to run some fuel through to clear any debris that may be in the new pipes.

I turned on the fuel tap in the boot, that I had previously fitted.  In the past, I have had to crank, or operate pump manually to get fuel through as I remember?.

Straightaway, fuel started to flow out of carb ends of pipe. This has never happened before as I remember?.

Is this ok

Ta

On 05/08/2023 at 02:05, daverclasper said:

One thing. I removed the bolt (mentioned previously) which holds the pump housing and petrol pipe P clip. The bolt was wet with coolent and the hole weeping slightly.

Thanks, Dave

Smear the bolt with Copper Ease/Grease to stop it seizing, I always lube the pump and Thermostat cover bolts this way to stop future seizing