garage - fluorescent lights

Unkel Kunkel

My garage, like many thousands of others uses  fluorescent lights.

5 x 5ft .Mostly very old and rusty
In the space of a few days, tubes failed in 2 and a ‘ballast’ in a newer fitting failed.

So, fix the lighting…

This is when I learnt that this  month, RoHS  ( Restriction of Hazardous Substances)  Regulations mean  that the manufacture of T5 and T8 tubes has ceased, based  concerns regarding the hazards of mercury they contain.

You can still buy the tubes as stocks last.

Although the effect will be gradual, there will be a need to change from fluorescents ‘as we know them’ to such things as  LED ‘tubes’ in existing fittings  where possible or new LED  ‘ battens’ .

(There must be millions of these  things everywhere-  in every office, supermarket, school , hospital etc.Gradually changing all those could be challenging, I imagine)

Anyway… I thought this is an opportunity to modernise the garage lighting and ditch  the rusting cobweb encrusted old units.

- so I changed all mine to LED battens ( I used. x5  ScrewFix  Reeves  5ft  LED - but there are lots of other options)

They are sealed  ( they can even be used outdoors), they are remarkably light, they even come pre- wired, making them very easy to fit.They look smart and will be much less of a dust and  cobweb magnet.

The lights come on instantly; There is  a  very noticeable increase in light output and quality they are more energy efficient.

They are really good.

Edited by Unkel Kunkel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Unkel Kunkel changed the title to garage - fluorescent lights
50 minutes ago, johny said:

How did the cost compare Unkel?

Here is the Screwfix deal.

D0C0B306-9917-41BB-90AE-5AD5393188D8.thumb.jpeg.92bfbcec6d841e328364563179c35321.jpeg

Difficult to compare with ‘conventional’ type  tube lights -some about the same some cheaper  like  £ 8.5O on B&Q -  but since  they are also marked as  ‘ not currently available’  the price was irrelevant.

The reviews of the product were  very positive.

Other factors  were  that  my old lights were now 3 out of 5 u/s and needed  change; the ease of fitting and use ;thoughts of ‘future proofing’ , as tubes will perhaps become less readily available and some small reduction in energy costs.

Having fitted them , they do a much better  job and look quite smart.

Edited by Unkel Kunkel
  • Like 1

Just before lockdowns one of mine over the bench decided to throw its hand in. What I did was go on flea bay and get 10 meters of self adhesive strip led and a 240 to 12v transformer rectifier. Removed the fluorescent tube ballast etc and and reengineered the existing fitting. instant bright. With the advantage that it could even be run off 12v battery if required. So far it is more than adequate.

As they fail I will likely repeat the process with the others

Pete

Edited by PeteH

I'm wondering if they fade over time. I have LEDs in the garage now for five years, but it just doesn't seem as bright as when it was all new. The lights themselves are clean, no sign of dust or anything else that would cloud the plastic covers, but they just don't seem to light the way they used to. 

Don't know about that but one of the advantages of led is they are just as bright in really cold weather where the old fluorescents I had at our old address were badly affected with the cold.

Derek.

Edited by DerekS
Spell checker...

LEDs do fade over time.
Also chips can die which leaves a dark spot in the lamp.
But the biggest problem is with the drivers failing and the lights being thrown out as they are often sealed units.
Our bathroom mirror with inbuilt heater and light stopped working recently and I could not buy a driver locally that was small enough to fit so ended up getting two from Aliexpress.
Fluorescent lights being a discharge type lamp do not like cold weather and can take a long time to reach correct operating colour temperature, manufacturers info would state 15 minutes till full operating temp reached.

Had to replace the kitchen light - a 60-year old GE (General Electric) strip light originally from my parents house and which I had found would only accept the big old T12 tubes. I couldn't find how much light these old tubes put out so guessed and bought an LED strip. The kitchen was DAZZLINGLY bright so I had to hack the driver circuit to wind down the power to the LEDs. The old fitting had power to the centre of the fitting. The new one had the driver circuit at one end and NINE inches of mains cable - how mean is that! Had to solder in a new cable from the circuit board to run to the centre of the luminaire so it could be mounted in the same place on the ceiling.

Actually, this seems to be an increasing problem with cheap far-east electrical stuff. I bought an LED security light, sealed with just 12" or 14" of cable coming out. Impossible to open up as the glued in widow is the only access point. You are forced to buy a sealed junction box to mount on the wall nearby instead of a cable neatly running all the way into the loft.

7 hours ago, ahebron said:

Also chips can die which leaves a dark spot in the lamp.

All the ones I've seen have the LEDs soldered onto a flexible PCB strip. They are connected in series which means if one should fail short circuit, you get the dark spot. I would have thought that, unless they are specifically designed that way (like old fashioned Xmas tree light bulbs), it's more likely they will fail open circuit and the whole strip is extinguished. That's what our bathroom light was occasionally doing. I assumed it was a dry joint (a poorly made or cracked solder joint) but in the end it was the driver module in the loft. Do they sell replacement modules? Do they hell! Had to match the characteristics and buy a driver module for a different application.

Modern technology? Don't get me started on modern technology! Bring back the days when you used to get circuit diagrams in Philips and other Hi-Fi.

Cheers, Richard

PS: We fitted high CRI (Colour Rendition Index) striplight tubes in my wife's furniture restoration business 15 or 20 years ago. It was a cold light but made such a difference when matching the colour of new wood to old, varnish, etc. Can you buy high CRI LEDs??? They may exist but I've never seen them yet. She's just retired so it's no longer my problem!

Hello All

I fitted one over my work bench in the same position as the old one and had to move it as it was to bright in my eyes as it was in front of me and just above head height!

I moved it to more above my head and is good.

But I think you can have to much light if it is in the wrong place and they are the bright white type?

Roger

I was considering something similar, but I understand they're all sealed so on failure it's either break into the thing and solder a new component, or dump it, and I hate waste, particularly plastic Chinesium waste. Is it possible to get replaceable 'bulbs/tubes' for the fittings or are they all sealed?

On 21/09/2023 at 20:29, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

I fitted one over my work bench in the same position as the old one and had to move it as it was to bright in my eyes as it was in front of me and just above head height!

I moved it to more above my head and is good.

But I think you can have to much light if it is in the wrong place and they are the bright white type?

Roger

Know what you mean, Roger!    But I have shelf on the wall above the bench, just below eye level.  I mounted the light under that, for excellent illumination!