Show us you car

Darren Groves

I've gone from THIS:

DSCF5017.thumb.jpg.8809c526505e627a17b2b3196b0953d3.jpg

To THIS:

DSCF5771.thumb.jpg.b6585033381359229488b7959e92ead5.jpg

by vaulting straight over two Herald restorations, which I'll finish someday. The two Triumphs are a complete world apart, but it's interesting to note that the TR7 cost me £400 less than the GT6 did 20 years ago... what happened to inflation? Back then, no-one wanted Mk1 GT6 either...

• Like 2

I agree the TR7 is completely different than any of the chassis based cars. But that's what and is the whole point of the TR7. I talked to Harris Mann a few years ago and he said just that.

It was a big shock at the time it was introduced, but it out sold all the other TR models.

Over the last few years the TR7 has been receiving a positive interest. Hopefully this should be reflected in future values.

It's a great shame we still have people, some in the motoring press, who have never owned or driven a TR7 that will tell you they are rubbish.

Dave

• Like 1

I was taking to Wayne and his team at Robsport when buying odd parts earlier in the week, and he summed it up to me over the phone.

"You'll love it."

It's a Triumph, it's as modern as I want to get, and my intention is to get this one through MOT then sell the Mundano and use it as my main car. The boot is certainly big enough for luggage if I want to go touring, which is difficult in the GT6.

BTW Dave: yours is the same colour as mine - where can I get good Carnelian Red paint, preferably aerosol?

38 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Everyone I know who has, or had a TR7 says they're great.

I had a Sprint-engine drophead back in the 1990s. It was certainly a much better car than the naysayers would have you believe. But I still found the GT6 easier for driving round Britain. ?

Colin, As Triumph/BL only used Carnelian Red paint for a year its one of those colours that has just lacks any listing. A real pain. 

May be talk to Robsport or go to Halfords and ask for a match.

Triumph Carmine or Ford Radiant Red are a near match for stone chip touch up but not for large areas unless you are doing a complete re-spray.

One of my local area members resprayed his whole car in Ford Radiant Red. It loos OK.

Dave

P1010492.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 18/10/2018 at 22:27, dave.vitesse said:

I agree the TR7 is completely different than any of the chassis based cars. But that's what and is the whole point of the TR7. I talked to Harris Mann a few years ago and he said just that.

It was a big shock at the time it was introduced, but it out sold all the other TR models.

Over the last few years the TR7 has been receiving a positive interest. Hopefully this should be reflected in future values.

It's a great shame we still have people, some in the motoring press, who have never owned or driven a TR7 that will tell you they are rubbish.

Dave

I restored my TR7 several years ago and used it as my daily driver both summer and winter. It was a great car and so under rated. Mine had the 5 speed gearbox and standard 2ltr engine. I sold it so I could buy a Stag

TR7 birds eye copy.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

The styling of the GT6 is brilliant in my book.

Dave 

I know what you mean Dave. We were at the CCS at the NEC and I pointed out the GT6 in red to my 30 year old nephew on the TSS stand, he turned to me and said that’s beautiful, it as a Porsche Cayman look about it, and you know what I have thought the same for a good few years. 

Paul

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi to all,

Introducing my TR6, 1971 vintage , pictured here In the middle of Dartmoor.

Originally a US car from Florida and re imported back into the UK in 1995.

I am the 4th owner since her return to the UK.

Owned for 5 years now

image.jpeg

• Like 4