Another new Triumph owner

Forgive me but I was brought up be my dad to be a Ford man, and nearly all the cars I’ve owned since I passed my test in 1972 have been Fords. In the day I always liked the look of Triumphs and at last, after 59 years ( ! ), I’ve got one. 
In 2020, after I retired, I joined the Torbay Old Wheels Club, and sneaked in my 1998 Ford Cougar. A bit young for the club but what you might call a modern classic. Anyway, after three years of fun with that, I have seen the light, sold it and bought a Vitesse. I think it has previously been in the club, and if anyone has any info on it, it would be interesting to hear. I’ve only had it a week, and my wife Alison and I have done a couple of runs in it, but it feels like Christmas come early. Can’t wait for some better weather.

IMG_9715.thumb.jpeg.9efd00e31576d3167d5a71de8dcd7e7f.jpeg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, GrahamJ said:

Forgive me but I was brought up be my dad to be a Ford man, and nearly all the cars I’ve owned since I passed my test in 1972 have been Fords. In the day I always liked the look of Triumphs and at last, after 59 years ( ! ), I’ve got one. 
In 2020, after I retired, I joined the Torbay Old Wheels Club, and sneaked in my 1998 Ford Cougar. A bit young for the club but what you might call a modern classic. Anyway, after three years of fun with that, I have seen the light, sold it and bought a Vitesse. I think it has previously been in the club, and if anyone has any info on it, it would be interesting to hear. I’ve only had it a week, and my wife Alison and I have done a couple of runs in it, but it feels like Christmas come early. Can’t wait for some better weather.

IMG_9715.thumb.jpeg.9efd00e31576d3167d5a71de8dcd7e7f.jpeg

Hi and welcome, nice looking machine.

Welcome to the club. That is a very nice car and one year older than mine. Do you have details of any mods and is it an Overdrive model? You will receive a good deal of info and assistance on this forum.

Yes, keep it dry. Mine has a sunroof which means use sparingly when it is wet as the wind can force water in.

Thank you all.
It is a 2 litre Mk1 with O/D. This picture is the day it turned up on a trailer. Lovely and sunny morning and then the heavens opened when it got here 🙄

It’s got a cover over it at the moment. But had a set back with the garage. You can probably tell from the photo that the drive down to the garage is a steep angle. I cleared the garage ready for the car, but can’t get down the drive without ripping the exhaust off. Trying to thing of a Plan B at the moment….. blocks of wood or something 🤔

Ive been on the look out for a Vitesse for a while when I came across this one. Crawled around it and was so impressed I bought it. It does have some bubbly bits but to me nothing too bad. I have got it booked for an MOT so I’ll find out soon 😳

I suspect that the exhaust grounds on the sharp kink where th drive meets the pavement. If so, can you radius that point? Some carefully placed scaffold planks could be a temporary solution.

My car only has a silencer on the rear end, no centre box. It is quiet enough with the Standard rear box. Early Vitesse just had one pipe from manifold to rear box.

You could fit a section of flexible exhaust pipe and fit a few more hangers to the chassis.

Garage access, two lengths of steel or alloy channel section? placed stretegically. similar to the ramps used to load onto trailers?. When we loaded static caravans onto Lorries the ramps where alloy channel and up to 6 or 8 meters in length, had to be supported in 2 or 3 places. just to prevent grounding!.

Is it a 1600 or 2Litre, Vitesse? SWMBO, had a 2Litre back in the 80`s. She was No1 in the Traffic Light Grand Prix, on her daily commute,😂

Pete

Thanks again for the messages. A few more ideas to think about.

Back in the 60s/70s if you had 70bhp+ you thought you were king of the road. These 3 cylinder turbos make a mockery of those old cars 😁 Our daily is a Citroen C3….. goes like a rocket 😄

4 hours ago, johny said:

Must say I do like the sound of 3 cylinder engines!

Except the Ford Ecosport, (which sounds like Dougs),  we had one blow 2 turbos and finally die due to oil supply issues with the wet cambelt system, they are terrible.

S

Edited by Steve P

Welcome to the forum, and good choise of car! My Vitesse is an early 1966 Convertible. Funny coincidence, my father also always drove Fords, but my first car was a Herald which I bought when I was 17. You will find this forum very friendly and a lot of knowledge here.

Welcome Graham 

Glad you have moved to the light side 😀.

Interesting comments about wet cam belts systems, my son has a Peugeot 308, drinks oil like anything, wish he would get rid of it.

Fully agree poor engine design, always thought 3 cylinders turbo engines are being pushed to their limits.

Graham