Payen head gasket problems

Pete Lewis

AidanT started a question on this way back in 2020  but following a head rebuild on a local 2500s 

which suffered compression loss on No  5  we refaced and cleaned the head die nutted the studs to clean the threads 

all looks like new and yes its a recessed bore and payen with a tab but now have between 0 and 50psi  across the engine 

the common denominator is the blasted gasket  TLD has a post about not fit for purpose since production transferred from UK to Belgium 

I dont normally need help but any others had problems with Payen ????

this should be a simple  whip it off   clean and refit    ,well its all buttoned up  but now hopeless .not  able to spurn a pop or bang 

Pete

old gasket had 120 with no5 an=t 0 

new gasket two at 50  rest all 0

valve seats all cleaned and lightly refaced , all sound and not in a poor sate  easy to tidy and re seat

having done more heads than i care to remember  this makes no sense 

as belgium payen seem to have a poor reputation its expected that its the gasket is the common factor in this conundrum

its a mk2 2,5 engine recessed bores gasket with a tab at the back 

never in my experience has a simple gasket swap ended up as a disaster

the old gasket has signs of blow by , most nuts quite loose ,  the head will have to come off and see what the heck is going on here   

there is no need to reface the head  its as flat as a pancake 

stud threads al die nut cleaned ,  washers and nuts all good.

and yes we have tapper clearances at 0.010"

Pete

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

old gasket had 120 with no5 an=t 0 

new gasket two at 50  rest all 0

Pete

As you say, that's  a  disaster.  And easy to blame on the gasket, but that would be like blaming the bathwater, when baby disappears down the plughole.   

With respect, Pete, I'd suspect faulty installation or previous damage.   "The old gasket has signs of blow by , most nuts quite loose "!   Could there have been erosion of the block face or head?    And, "there is no need to reface the head  its as flat as a pancake"   To a true engineer's straight edge?

John

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

To a true engineer's straight edge?

yes john   i do have a goodly selection of engineering tools and measuring devices 

lts not like Ive never done this before is it 

i understand the bath water syndrome but the car has run ok for a good few years till No5 gave out

its pretty grubby and unmolested original years of un touched grime   the head nuts were def down to deformed washers   we have all seen that before .

def feeling a bit stumped on this  and that is somewhat unusual 

Pete

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

easy to blame on the gasket, but that would be like blaming the bathwater, when baby disappears down the plughole.   

But, it IS the water that syphons the baby down the hole! :)

Although it has the tab are you sure it has the recessed bits? 

Doug

Pete,

I did offer my respect to your experience, but truly, I feel that you must seek another reason than  just the gasket for the lack of any compression!

Please tell us wat you find when you take the head off again.

John

Hi John ,  apart from all pistons go up and down

antics of low cranking needed replacement starter

fuel wont prime

sparks leaping out the coil head

accuspark  only tiggering 3 of the 6 

screw missing from rocker /pedestal location 

none of which has anything to do with zero compression

all the rockers rock  will check valve timing 

but she ran on 5/6 before we took the head off and there was little work required to clean that up 

it makes no sense , the gasket is the common denominator ...or its Me

and there are online reports of payen giving troubles from spitfire to stag  across the whole car range

since production left the UK 

watch this space 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

I was told by a reputable Triumph trader a few years ago that Payen gaskets were no longer made to the same standard. Chris Witor and Canley Classics stock high quality gaskets which are not from Payen.

That said, it seems very unlikely that a new Payen head gasket would fail to seal from the moment it was installed. As has been suggested, I would be looking for another cause than the head gasket. It's a pain, but the head will need to be removed again.

Nigel

yes Nigel   theres lots of negative comments on the 'net'   about payen   so  replacement is coming from Canley's 

head comes off  this week end  

i hear the ideas its maybe something else but ....what 

there is little to go wrong with what was a running engine having a gasket swap and a light valve/chamber clean up 

its got me stumped and thats unusual the only common thing is the  gasket 

if i fitted the head with chocolate spread i would expect better results 

and ive said  the pistons are going up,down ok , you can feel a light puff from the plug hole but not enough to make it work 

Pete

right  Today head off fitted the canley supplied gasket , retorqued , tappet reset, timed, and she runs fine

compare old gasket and the canley gasket with the Payen from Rimmers and the problem is evident 

the payen gasket Fire rings are half the width required to seal against the clamping load of the head 

so this confirms the  Triumph  Payen Gasket  is not fit for purpose , any purpose .

the pic shows the wildly differing half the width rings 

there's a lesson for us all here 

Pete 

HEAD GASKET.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How did those widths compare with the slots in the block? When you think about thats a crazy design and I wonder if any other manufacturer has gone down the same route as your really introducing a risk due to the tolerances of the gasket fire rings being critical...

the stand off is  about the  same  (not measured)  the depth to locate in the recess seems about the same 

its the fact the payen rings only cover the recess there is no real clamp on the periphery of the narrow ring 

Canley (  well done ) and Chris Witor say they only sell good gasket    there is no  brand on the canley packaging 

if you search the net payen and its name seem to have lost it badly and if main suppliers are selling old branded 

gaskets ( ie rimmers)   then there will be a lot of heartache for those that are on a wild   goose chase  

Thank you, Pete!   You have convinced me!  Previously I would swear by Payens, but my faith is  broken.

Will you be writing to whoever makes "Payen" now, to tell them of your dissatisfaction at their poor product?

John

think thats down to the  (Alan) member involved in this nightmare.

Payen stop production around 2019 due to tooling worn out ,

got bought out by belgium co and tooling revamped , now under german ownership, internet has all the story 

but payen is not the same as the one that managed  a good reputation 

a most frustrating repair where you start to question your own experience /ability 

with a waste of time and money   and alan paid rimmers a premium to get the payen as he felt they were worth it

how wrong can you be , a classis case of being clever after the event but who goes searching gasket problems 

happy new year   Pete

This is worrying,  I'm waiting for full set of gaskets and seals for my newly rebuilt spit 1500. Ordered from Rimmers a couple of weeks ago. It's held up waiting for the Payen gaskets to arrive. I'm now thinking I should have gone for the cheaper option.

Danny