13/60 manual washer pump

Chris A

Hi all, I suspect I'll have to replace my washer pump. The switch for the wipers works fine it is the pump part that is suffering. I've checked the non return valve is ok, there is no blockage in the system and air does pass. I even confirmed the pipe from the bottle to pump wasn't porous.

The original part is 152461 which is, no surprise, not available (unless you know better). I am looking at fitting an electric pump and switch - keeping the rest of the system as it is.

What have you used and any tips thanks.

Here’s a link which I’ve done using a Washing machine pressure switch .

ive also just purchased a spare Vitesse dashboard which has a modified wiper switch which now has a pump operated switch 

IMG_0655.thumb.jpeg.8890cc536161af4d2d23c149f128c160.jpeg

Paul

IMG_0652.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

just whats wrong with the old bellows

they must have a valve at the jets Tee and in the bottle 

there is nothing in the bellows 

Pete

When I pump the system I do get a few drops at the jets which to me proves the system is basically ok. It did cross my mind that the bellows could well be the culprit but are they servicable and can the combined pump washer switch unit be opened easily?

they do need a simple ball non return at the jets and in the bottle for the bellows to work or it just 

sucks and blows via its easiest escape .

the bellows and the ones that had a elec push button do just screw into the back of the switch

we fitted the same wiper and elec pump switch to 1000s of trucks in the 70s 80s

but they are hard to find now  even \jags used a similar arrangement  Holden used to list them 

but i dont see them now ??

Pete

Easy to fit a hidden electric motor behind the dash or in the engine bay, just a 12v supply to earth via a switch, and hide the switch under the dash or use a period auxiliary switch in plain view. My dash is much modified but those little Lucas pull-switches - H for Heater and W for Washer - can be placed anywhere; along the dash support to the right of the steering wheel where the early 1200s have the washer pump is a good spot. They also take the Herald chrome bezels so look the part as well. 

IMG_5713.thumb.jpeg.249dc3dbb8998b98cef527c2339ca1dc.jpeg

I had a problem getting my spitfire pump to work, a second non return valve after the pump sorted it out. The bellows is just a rubber bag, unless leaking there is nothing to fail, but then it started to leak but early spit ones are available

Hi Chris. I recently had the same prob on my Vit washer pump ( i.e. wipers work, but pump does'nt).

I checked all the obvious - jets, pipes,non return valve etc and concluded it was the pump innards. I decided to convert to an electric pump, but wanted to keep the original wiper switch. So I have converted the pump part of the switch to take a momentary ( non latching) push button. It's a starter switch that I got from Car Builder Solutions. I cut open the plastic end of the pump and discarded it. A suitable sized penny washer was then Araldited in its place, with the starter button mounted through it ( it looks exactly like Paul H 's second pic of s/h Vit dashboard rear view. The 'bellows' inside the pump look like a thick rubber thimble, if it was like mine. I decided to leave the rubber thimble in place, as it helps return the push button to it's off state. A standard ' generic' 12v washer pump is wired to the switch and plumbed into the pipework. It all works well and looks original on the dash.

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

they do need a simple ball non return at the jets and in the bottle for the bellows to work or it just 

sucks and blows via its easiest escape .

There is a functioning non return valve in the bottle but I have no idea if there is anothert after the pump, will have a look in the next day or two. The washers did work, after a fashion, so I suspect the bellows or a second non return valve stuck open.

If I go for the electric pump option no problems getting one here either (already located a good candidate) I'm not up to reworking the pump and wiper switch as above so will just add a press or switch to the dash, or under if I don't want it visible. Been looking for suitable pushes that sort of look ok. Like the one with the 'W' must do more research.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the jets on H & V are long units to go thro the double skin ,some have a non return ball inside

the Tee to split into two feeds can have a ball inside 

Pete

So. What you are saying is that the washer system is a load of balls...

I've a spare inline non return valve which works so I think my next step will be to cut the pipe from the pump to the jets and fit it then retest.

Maybe tomorrow as lawnmower is now in the hands of a professional as it just managed to do the grass today, even my wife could tell it wasn't running well, I've done everything I could other than hitting it with a mallet, which did become a serious possibility at one point.

17 hours ago, Chris A said:

If I go for the electric pump option no problems getting one here either (already located a good candidate) I'm not up to reworking the pump and wiper switch as above so will just add a press or switch to the dash, or under if I don't want it visible. Been looking for suitable pushes that sort of look ok. Like the one with the 'W' must do more research.

The switch is a Lucas SPB104, used on Landrovers, simple two-terminal connection. Search also for PS7 or 31515. The knob is interchangeable and is available new, so if you get the switch cheaper without one, the knob can be sourced separately. It is an amazing improvement on the push-button; my first try sprayed the bootlid until the jets were adjusted to the screen. You can get washer bottles with a built-in pump but they can be very bulky and some of them won't fit the engine bay. 

Good day, bad day.

Good day because having cut the washer pipe after the pump and fitted the inline non return valve I now have windscreen washers again. A simple fix, maybe the bellows are on their way out but fine for now. I've saved the details of the electric kit options just in case.

Bad day because I discovered the horns are fried. Remplacemnt ordered.

To finish off the wash / wipe system I need to 'tweak' the wiper movement as they refuse to do a full sweep. Motor sounds ok so I will start with a general 'look see' inside the unit - I am sure I have notes somewhere about adjusting the park settings. Strangely my system seems to be a LHD set up, i.e. blades park over on the passenger side.

Don't really need wipers though as it never rains in Normandy, the MOT man might want to try them out at the next visit. I'm positive he didn't do it last time as he didn't come and ask me how the wipers & washers operated

Thanks to everyone for the input, all very useful

On 21/03/2024 at 12:36, Pete Lewis said:

there is nothing in the bellows 

Hi Pete. I have the (maybe original) hand washer pump on Vitesse. Does you mean there is nothing that wears or deteriates on these?

I assumed there was some sort of rubber seal/seals that could maybe fail.

Cheers, Dave

12 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Hi Pete. I have the (maybe original) hand washer pump on Vitesse. Does you mean there is nothing that wears or deteriates on these?

I assumed there was some sort of rubber seal/seals that could maybe fail.

Cheers, Dave

If it is anything like the old (lucas?) ones, its just like a "rubber bulb/bellows" inside the casing with a inlet and outlet non return ball valve`s, absolutely simple device?. I assume with time the Bulb/bellows might perish?. And of course the n-r valves do fail?.

Pete.

it is just a rubber "bellows"    it ether works or ...leaks bit like the bulb on a turkey baster

or antifreeze tester  you just squeeze it to pressure water to the jets 

its just  a rubber thing    no moving parts   

some may have a simple ball to produce a valve but most are one in the bottle and one in the pipe

to the jets   its all very simple 

Pete

The Herald / Vitesse system uses a small glass bead inside the jet itself, a simple system where the ball rises to allow water through then sinks back to block the pipe and stop it draining away. I really should work out the diameter of the glass bead some time and see what alternatives there are as many have been lost over the years.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I really should work out the diameter of the glass bead some time

Are you saying you don't actually have a parts catalogue detailed enough to give that information? Shame on you Colin 😁

43 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Are you saying you don't actually have a parts catalogue detailed enough to give that information? Shame on you Colin 😁

Never read Parts Catalogues, instruction manuals, or handbooks until you've made an entire mess of things and wasted days if not weeks. THEN you go online and ask forum users, only to get 40,000 different and usually incorrect opinions. Only after all that are you allowed to consult the proper documents.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Only after all that are you allowed to consult the proper documents.

You had better get reading then as by now you must have gone through all the previous stages . . . .