Vitesse MK2 Spin off conversion oil filter

Paul H

If the filter is anti-drain it will work at any angle, and theoretically stay full of oil when not in use so as to circulate it more quickly on next startup. Angle it so that it's not rubbing against anything metal or otherwise and it will be fine. By the way your pressure tubing looks very thin - it's hard to tell from a photo but it looks like ordinary plastic tubing and I'd worry about it as a weak spot leading to a burst and loss of oil.

Hi Colin , I bought the oil pressure set up second hand from Spitfire Graveyard and it was from a spitfire - Can you suggest a source for a thicker tubing - thanks for your advice .

The oil filter has anti drain 

Thanks 

Paul 

Hello Paul.

I have exactly the same set-up as you.

On my car I have angled the filter downwards as much as is possible and yes the oil pressure switch extension does make changing the filter a bit more challenging !! Colin is correct to point out the tube you have - it is too thin by far and ideally you should opt for a stainless steel hose which I have done. It is more robust and looks smarter.

Not sure if I have a photo in my Vitesse album (just about got every other photo !!), but if not I will take some and pop on the thread for you to view. 

Good luck.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

Or this Ebay 282005722339 item.

My braided hose from the pressure switch to gauge is 4ft with no tight turns and sufficient slack.

One point I will add is that you must ensure you have the small rubber o ring between the hose screw end and the oil pressure gauge. If not, you know where that oil is going !!

The other end of the hose has a normal flat washer.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

Or this Ebay 282005722339 item.

My braided hose from the pressure switch to gauge is 4ft with no tight turns and sufficient slack.

One point I will add is that you must ensure you have the small rubber o ring between the hose screw end and the oil pressure gauge. If not, you know where that oil is going !!

The other end of the hose has a normal flat washer.

Regards.

Richard.

This is a similar to what  I currently have  Ebay Link  would the stainless ones you suggest use the same end fittings 

Regards

Paul 

Hello Paul.

I would run with this item to be honest 282005722339

It's exactly what I have got and does the job perfectly - fit & forget with peace of mind.

Always worth phoning the seller to confirm the screw ends you want & what they are intended for. Looking at the photo, they are correct.

Doug - sorry to make a few pounds poorer !!

Regards.

Richard.

plastic tubing is used far more than many like. the evolution over the years makes it quite reliable, 

we introduced trucks with nylon tube on full air brakes pipes in 1977 and the trade went ooh argh  its standard now on everything

my T2000 has the small bore clear tube and its been on there  far longer than Ive owned her , and  guess Im unlikely to change it .

same as push on fuel lines  , no clips to distort the hose .

all down to preference ,  of the loves and hates of what to do with what.

anyone want a Cold in the Dose and a cough from the bowels of the earth...

Pete

Hello Paul & Doug.

A couple of photos of the oil filter angle & braided oil pressure hose.

On leaving the oil pressure T switch, the hose goes under the fuel pump, then behind the engine block coming up near the master cylinders and then through the bulkhead to the oil pressure gauge. 

This route provides plenty of support for the hose and equally important the hose has gentle curves all along its length of travel.

If you need to use cable ties to assist with support then I would ensure that the hose still has movement without any degree of pinching for obvious reasons !!

Hope that assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

post-818-0-53539300-1465903693_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-51214700-1465903734_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-53963300-1465903775_thumb.jpg

No, its not OK, and its not what it was designed for.

there are filters on the market that are shallow enough to fit under neath,t adaptor

they fit Reliants, and some others, no too sure, its a long long time since I had the OE filter

and this filter was reccomended by the makers.

there used to be an Angled adapter on the market yonks ago, only ever seen 2

they angled towards the oot side, so a bigger filter can fit on.

wid tht set up, ye deffo need a Double anti drain filter,Mann comes to mind

as most of the oil is running oot oft filter, therefore negating its effectivness.

M

So are you (GT6M) saying that this standard size anti-drain filter angled at 45 degrees is worse that the standard horizontal filter element assembly that Triumph designed ???????

I'm struggling to see how oil can drain from a filter that is at angle of less than horizontal - perhaps you could expand on that ??

The shallower a filter the less filtering surface area it has, are you saying that less filter surface area is better than more ??

I have a Rootes vehicle that has a manufacturers upside down anti-drain filter assembly, are you saying that all the money invested by Rootes in to that method of filtration was incorrect ?? They certainly did not use a double anti-drain system and nor has any problem been experienced by such owners.

I've run many vehicles with angled and upside down filters and provided the correct filter assembly is used then the system works perfectly. To date I've never experienced knocking on start-up or delayed oil pressure build-up.

Regards.

Richard.

It happens, take it as said,

ive looked into this alott, and got rid of all  problems,oil light is off before engine starts.

does yours,.!!!

lots of cars have upside down filters, but the internals are different, stack pipes come to mind, as well as double drains.

the bigger the filter, the moer oil flows oot, the longer it teks to fill up, simples

biggest prob is the oil galley,  it totally drains of  oil as well as filter,

so pump has to re charge all thee,s

or is your engine not prone to this,  its a first if it is.

if yer no hearing a nok,after a long lay up, 2 days, 1 day with some filters.need to go to get yer lugs cleaned oot, ora hearing aid,

as every T engine does it,

Is it hard work to get a smaller filter, and fit it verticly, !!!

M

Well I'm very pleased to inform you that I do not get any knocking or any of the above negatives you have described; even when the engine has not been started for weeks.

So I will be staying with my proven oil delivery & filtering system as all seems in order.

Hopefully the above news will make your weekend; especially as there appears to be a first - thanks for your input whatever value it may have been. 

Regards.

Richard.

Well I'm very pleased to inform you that I do not get any knocking or any of the above negatives you have described; even when the engine has not been started for weeks.

So I will be staying with my proven oil delivery & filtering system as all seems in order.

-------------------------------

Totally impossarble facts. maybe your idea of oil delay is no same as mine.

If you got no oil delay, {as in No delay}  then there must  be  anti drain plugs in yer  main oil gallery.

and also in the pump tract to filter,

If so, this will be a first,  

And, you must be the only Sixpot owner in History  to have no oil light delay.

must be a very well kept secret,,

Even me 2 moderns have a delay if left fora week or so.

Suzuki and a MX

Err, seen this thread, bloke needs your set up,

http://forum.tssc.org.uk/index.php?/topic/1580-crank-bearings-knocking-on-start-up/

M

• 4 years later...

Quick question relating to this old topic...

Is the pipe / hose from the block via the T piece to the sensor just a MK2 thing? I have a Vitesse MK1 and am thinking of changing from the original filter to a screw on conversion and my oil sensor goes straight into the block.

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, TRevver said:

Is the pipe / hose from the block via the T piece to the sensor just a MK2 thing?

The only factory fitted oil "sensor" was a 4-6psi N/C switch fitted direct into the block. The same fitment was used on all Triumphs. If you're referring to the extra bits on the photo at the top of the thread, those are all after-market add-ons.

I have the same setup as Richard,pretty much the same angle on the filter,and i use the Fram PH2964,pleased to say i have no knock on start and oil light out when cranking.

This is on a 2.5 engine with about 20k miles using Valvoline VR1.I bought 2 short Mann filters to try but after reading the thread on priming after changing filters i decided to stick with what i have.

Steve

All I have on mine is this...

Would the screw-on adapter fit ok? I notice the club shop only sell one type but Rimmers have 2, depending on oil-cooler or not - looks like the club one would be fine anyway as I don't have the oil cooler but does anyone know if the club-supplied one is the "newer" type with the spring-loaded centre?

IMG_5892.jpg