EP90 , GL4 or GL5

Paul H

I read in Practical Classics this month that EP90 GL5 wasnt suitable for our classics . Not ever hearing about GL4 or GL5 mild panic ensued as I checked the label on the tin of Castrol EP90 . There was no mention of either  so rang the help line and was advised that Castrol EP90 oil in their green tin was GL4 - Panic over 

Paul 

post-1431-0-91983900-1488188726_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-49956700-1488188748_thumb.jpg

blimey this old nutshell continues to raise its head  more times than what oil for dashpots  ( sae20 or base 20/50)

there are some GL5 that are yellow metal tolerant but if unsure dont use it

where as all GL4 is yellow metal tolerant ,

the adatives in most GL5 can disolve bronze/brass. copper metals if used in arduous working and very hot places  so things like baulk rings and thrust washers can suffer 

the diff has a harder life with oils than the gearbox and gets very hot  due to efficiency losses so planet thrusts may thin down.

i know from years of experience with truck reliability when one of our name changes involved a change of oil supplier and GL5 was introduced without prior concern and our older diff designs suffered thrust failures  in volume ...nightmare ,

dont take the chance unless you have a specific  GL5 oil spec thats compatible  with hot yellows .

Pete

• 5 years later...
31 minutes ago, KevinR said:

https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf makes an interesting read, and its been kept up to date.

I'm sticking with GL4.

3 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi KevinR,

Where does this post relate to yellow metals?

Cheers,

Iain.

The last time I checked, brass is a yellow metal, unless you can prove otherwise, and yes, the article talks extensively about the damage mechanism to brass synchronisers by the use of GL5 spec oils in a gearbox.

58 minutes ago, johny said:

Why take the risk, not all stuff online is lies LOL

What I read in more than one place and sounds reasonable is that to achieve GL5 spec higher levels of a range of possible additives are needed than GL4 and some of these can damage yellow metals. Obviously in applications where theres no yellow metals the higher risk additives (which it said tend to be cheaper) can be used with no problem and theres no need to look for anything different. However for use with yellow metal the GL5 lube has to be made with the safe additives which the labelling should confirm and correspondingly the price may be greater.... 

i dont get why you would use a gl5 when gl4 is readily available 

we cant replicate the testing done by triumph    use whats specified and it does what it should 

change it because you can gives you the risk  to enjoy 

modern car synchro rings are often a iron based so they dont matter 

pete

8 minutes ago, KevinR said:

The last time I checked, brass is a yellow metal, unless you can prove otherwise, and yes, the article talks extensively about the damage mechanism to brass synchronisers by the use of GL5 spec oils in a gearbox.

Hi,

You are correct. brass is a yellow metal.
I must admit I never read before posting. It does not change that today "The thing about GL5 oils attacking yellow metals is based on out of date information.".
The data you posted is out of date.

Cheers,

Iain.