** ON TO THE NEXT BIT ** Nose to Tail - 1972 Spitfire MkIV restoration upgrades!!

Right. I thought that when you added the hardener, the chemical reaction started and it started to cure as a 'block' rather than surface drying like normal paint. I wondered how sprayers went on getting it out of the gun onto the car before it set, especially if using additives like 'rocket' to speed up curing times. I had visions of a spraygun with a brick of cured paint in the tank and guts.

13 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I must look at one of those; I've been struggling with an air-powered SIP DA sander and all it has done is dig into the paint leaving semi-circular marks. Not a great problem as all of that paint is coming off anyway but it's not as easy or efficient as I had hoped. The compressor is certainly big enough for the job, so I'm blaming the sander.

Colin - I have been amazed. Saves so much time, nice finish, very little dust. Worth the money. I think that I actually paid about £170. As mentioned, got the vac from Lidl (the auto power sensing is a must), the tube from the Resto show 18 months ago and the sander off fleabay on one of their 10% off days. At the show I also got a backing disc to protect the sander main pad and some unbranded mesh discs. Get the mirka ones, shop around on fleabay. Pay about £20 for a box of 50. There is also a flat sander block which fits onto the extractor tube, also very handy with different shaped attachments available. I don't have the attachments just the block. By the way, the sander is variable speed..and no I'm not on a comission.

15 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I must look at one of those; I've been struggling with an air-powered SIP DA sander and all it has done is dig into the paint leaving semi-circular marks. Not a great problem as all of that paint is coming off anyway but it's not as easy or efficient as I had hoped. The compressor is certainly big enough for the job, so I'm blaming the sander.

I agree stopped using my air powered sanders for the same reason 

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Work is progressing slowly on the bonnet & hardtop. Hard luck stories to follow soon!!

In the meanwhile, we are approaching the times when fleabay have their sitewide discount offers (there is one 20% discount off selected merchants at the moment) and I am getting together a list of things that I will need in the Spring. One of these is dinitrol 1000 cavity wax, but, how much will I need? I don't want to run short but on the other hand, as I hope not to have to do this again (!!??), I don't want a load left over. So, if anyone can advise me how much they have used on a Spitfire (I suppose a GT6 will be similar for quantity), can you let me know please. No compressor, so I will be using the 500ml aerosol cans with the long tube attachment thingy.

2 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Work is progressing slowly on the bonnet & hardtop. Hard luck stories to follow soon!!

In the meanwhile, we are approaching the times when fleabay have their sitewide discount offers (there is one 20% discount off selected merchants at the moment) and I am getting together a list of things that I will need in the Spring. One of these is dinitrol 1000 cavity wax, but, how much will I need? I don't want to run short but on the other hand, as I hope not to have to do this again (!!??), I don't want a load left over. So, if anyone can advise me how much they have used on a Spitfire (I suppose a GT6 will be similar for quantity), can you let me know please. No compressor, so I will be using the 500ml aerosol cans with the long tube attachment thingy.

My best guess is 4 and have done over when you repeat in later years 

Paul 

• Like 1

our first dog a Beagle when we lived in Stokesley Yorks used to pinch my spanners when I was working on the car & bury them!

His favourite party trick was to pinch the 2.7lb short handle lump hammer and run round the back garden with head on one side as it was so heavy "catch me if you can style" then thump you in the shins with it! Dog buried in back yard here in Aus, Lump hammer still in use and hangs on the pegboard behind the work bench the handle end still chewed away etal "Baron" style!

I still have a full set of open and ring Whitworth Gordon spanners dad brought in the 50's here in Aus. & there've travelled "Aus, UK, Canada, USA, UK, Aus" there've probably lasted because Whitworth's were never used!

28 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Sorry about the drift must have clicked on th wrong topic thought I was responding to Colin losing his spammers to his wife and daughter And horse shoe repair

Apologies not needed. Lovely anecdote, and loved the drift. When I was digging the pond in the garden, the wolf of the time kept returning the clay to the hole that I had just dug out. They are all priceless, whatever the species.

Just to further the thread drift, we’ve got two Beagles, and have had 4 over the years, and they’ve all been thieving little sh1ts!

We had the gas man come to read the meter in our old house, which was under the stairs.

Meter man enters cupboard and gets down on hands and knees with his torch, trying to read the meter in the recesses of the cupboard.

Enter one Beagle, who proceeds to follow meter man into the cupboard, stops, squares herself up, and then does the most tremendous bark.

Meter man promptly bashed head on the underside of the stairs, and emits a stream of oaths.

Mrs B struggled to apologise, while keeping a straight face, as the Beagle ambles off, content that she has done her bit to protect the pack.

There are so many stories like that over the last 13 years, but I wouldn’t have any other breed.

Karl

11 hours ago, Bordfunker said:

Just to further the thread drift, we’ve got two Beagles, and have had 4 over the years, and they’ve all been thieving little sh1ts!

We had the gas man come to read the meter in our old house, which was under the stairs.

Meter man enters cupboard and gets down on hands and knees with his torch, trying to read the meter in the recesses of the cupboard.

Enter one Beagle, who proceeds to follow meter man into the cupboard, stops, squares herself up, and then does the most tremendous bark.

Meter man promptly bashed head on the underside of the stairs, and emits a stream of oaths.

Mrs B struggled to apologise, while keeping a straight face, as the Beagle ambles off, content that she has done her bit to protect the pack.

There are so many stories like that over the last 13 years, but I wouldn’t have any other breed.

Karl

My mrs really dislikes dogs i don't know why? Maybe a beagle is the cause? A friend of mine takes his beagle everywhere with him and when he visits said dog aways seeks her out and barks like hell behind her :) He just wags his tale at me and sit's and wait's for his biscuit.....

Tony.  

3 minutes ago, poppyman said:

My mrs really dislikes dogs i don't know why? Maybe a beagle is the cause?

Maybe there was a problem with her Life Insurance? :)

I like cats, they treat me like s***, I'm just the slave and do everything for them, feed them, let them in and out, and get nothing in return... oh hang on, that's the wife. Sorry.

• Haha 1

Tony, they are definitely a ‘Marmite’, and you either love independent minded, opinionated, loud but affection dogs, or you don’t.

And they are not backwards in sharing their opinions, particularly if they feel you don’t like them.

Mrs B’s niece has the same issue, she’s a cat person, and Willow knows that, so just barks at her every-time she visits.

Fine with her husband as he loves dogs!

Karl

Back to the hardtop for the moment.

Stripping back some of the rust , fibreglass and filler has been somewhat demoralising. I suppose that it is the nature of restoration and classic car ownership.

Around the leading bottom edge of the quarter-lights, I have cut away all the F/G and filler to find that on the near-side part of the lip where the sealing rubbers clip on was partially rusted away. I assumed that all the metal that was missing was due to rust. However, when I stripped away the cr*p on the off-side, here it is before stripping...

_MG_8281a.thumb.jpg.7f91dd2d39ddf64e5248a0a83c89b4ad.jpg

.. you can see (sorry about the focus) circled where the filler and F/G repair is, but when that was all stripped away I found this...

_MG_8327.thumb.JPG.1c1648ff2ff6ac970107e3fe55111400.JPG

.. the upstanding part of the sill was very neatly, factory trimmed, to leave a gap (and rust trap).

There does not appear to be any reason for this, and the rubber just clips over the gap. Now, do I fill the gap with new metal to add strength and weatherproofing, or just repair around it, like out of the factory. Any thoughts please as to the reason for this gap?

• Badwolf changed the title to **ON WITH THE HARD TOP** Nose to Tail - 1972 Spitfire MkIV restoration upgrades!!

Having attacked the frame with a grinder. I think that I have worked out what was going on here. The inner frame (pictured previously), which has the gap in it is spot welded to an outer section which forms a box section and welds to the frame upright at the bottom to give strength. The outer skin covers the neatly cut gap which I assume is there to aid production. The outer skin had almost totally rusted away. I have made a repair panel which will hopefully sort this out. I just hope that it will look ok when attached and profiled to the rest of the roof. There is a limit to what I can do with my 3" vice and hammer.