QH UJ aplications on Herald

PeteH

Hi

I have "discovered" 3 full unused in makers packing Quintin Hazel QL 102 Universal Joints in my "collection". I am of the mind they where purchased to service my Wife`s 1600 Vitesse in the 1980`s.

They LOOK as if the would be correct for the Herald (13/60) Rear drive shafts.

Anyone know what the equivalent is? Rimmer list them as GUJ 115.

Pete

Hello Paul.

This may assist and covers GKN UJ's on reference number GUJ115 - looking at the x-references for Herald / Vitesse it appears (as Pete has mentioned) that in the main it's a generic fitting for these Triumphs with coverage years quoted:

Triumph

Herald

propshaft and halfshaft

59-71

Spitfire

propshaft and halfshaft

62-82

GT6

propshaft and halfshaft

66-74

Vitesse

propshaft and halfshaft

62-71

TR7

propshaft

75-81

2000 Mk1, Mk2

propshaft

63-77

2500, 2.5Pi Mk 1, Mk2

propshaft

74-77

2.5Pi Mk 1, Mk2

propshaft

68-74

Dolomite 1.3

propshaft

76-81

Dolomite 1.5

propshaft

76-81

Dolomite 1.8

propshaft

72-81

Dolomite 2.0 Sprint

propshaft

74-81

Toledo 1.3

propshaft

70-76

1500 rwd

propshaft

73-76

Hope it assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

Pete,

The info Richard has posted is indeed correct, not long before I "left the shop" ;)  there was a possible issue with the Heavy Duty UJ's being the devils own job to fit, but the ones you have are the standard ones and is what I would always fit given a choice.

Hello Garth.

Good to hear from you. 

I believe that users on this Forum will be more than appreciative to have your input on all matters raised.

Sound knowledge makes progress easier !!

Hope all is well ??

Best wishes.

Richard. 

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, classiclife said:

Do you have the part number ?? Always useful to have when others are seeking to find such things.

Regards.

Richard.

Brown & Gammons part number GUJ101, price £9.54 ea.  This part number seems "universal" to suppliers such as Moss, Canley, Robsport .....  B&G are handy for me to collect so no p+p charges or delivery delay.

Just a word of caution. I would always favour NOS parts over modern repro, but I have had a "sealed for life" QH top ball joint fail in under 1000 miles. I think what had happened was that the grease wthin it had broken down or dried out after years sitting in the box. "Sealed for life" simply did not anticipate madmen like us unwrapping this stuff and fitting it half a century after it was made! With NOS UJs at least you an ease the bearing cups off and re-pack with fresh grease before you use them.

Regards

Steve

Colin,

I fit mine on the GT6 facing the prop rather than the flange. I have a feeling that if you do it the other way there isn't enough space for a grease gun to attach on the nipple.

And yes, the more observant will have noticed that my prop shaft is fitted back to front (i.e. with the sliding joint at the front) It came that way around and since it doesn't vibrate I'm leaving it that way!

Wayne

IMG_0463.JPG

with the telescope up front theres less room to align  the grease gun 

otherwise it doesnt matter which way...anything is better than having a strap drive .

i agree on NOS its not always a way forward,  when life is expired in a box on a shelf.

but often better when india rubber is used with no life,  no adhesion,  but unfortunately ....... available 

pete

On 8/28/2017 at 2:23 PM, Waynebaby said:

Colin,

I fit mine on the GT6 facing the prop rather than the flange. I have a feeling that if you do it the other way there isn't enough space for a grease gun to attach on the nipple.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne; I think from experience that if you fit it the wrong way round, the grease nipple will foul on the flange and you won't get full movement or rotation, and if you remove it you can't see the aperture to fit the blanking plug. I didn't want to fit mine and find it the wrong way, and so have to dismantle / refit again...

• 5 weeks later...

Hello All

I may have a U/J problem on Spitty(grunching noise on wheel rotating seems a double grunch?)

I replaced all bearings (NOS and genuine  GKN U/J freelander type)plus drive shaft so not a happy Bunny!

I was looking on Fleabay and saw these(not know if needed yet?)

What do we think of the grease nipple position?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FREELANDER-1-2-0-TD4-NEW-PROPSHAFT-UNIVERSAL-JOINT-UJ-TVF100000-x1-/332047950474?fits=Model%3AFreelander&hash=item4d4f99a28a:g:FAEAAOSw4GVYPaFi

16 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

I may have a U/J problem on Spitty(grunching noise on wheel rotating seems a double grunch?)

I replaced all bearings (NOS and genuine  GKN U/J freelander type)plus drive shaft so not a happy Bunny!

I was looking on Fleabay and saw these(not know if needed yet?)

What do we think of the grease nipple position?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FREELANDER-1-2-0-TD4-NEW-PROPSHAFT-UNIVERSAL-JOINT-UJ-TVF100000-x1-/332047950474?fits=Model%3AFreelander&hash=item4d4f99a28a:g:FAEAAOSw4GVYPaFi

Drilling/tapping the cup??? I assumed the cups were hardened, so that should be difficult/impossible. May be a sign that the cups are not hardened?? Think I would swerve those....

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2017 at 8:23 AM, Pete Lewis said:

Balance .....less problem on a slower revolving drive shaft but on a high speed prop that could throw the balance out

Enough to  be noticeable  , dont know ,      I like the  simple idea  always accessible 

Pete

Yes, not keen on those... it may just be a slight imbalance but I'd still be wary. I'll stick with the traditional versions.