Garage interior advice

DrKai

sorry about Edith but you could go to the diy store and ask for an Ertha Kitt.

agree pits and sometimes lifts dont allow you to stand, and end up crouched , , then cant look up only down

too deep to sit on a trolley or bench too high to kneel    ,  

my full lenght  CJ ramps only rise about 12" but it allows you a sleep between struggles  , maybe a wooly hat with a memory foam pad would improve the lying down engineer comfort 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

agree pits and sometimes lifts dont allow you to stand, and end up crouched , , then cant look up only down

too deep to sit on a trolley or bench too high to kneel    ,  

Pete

Sounds like a C&W song...

"Can't stand up, can't crouch down,

Can't look up, but only at the ground

Too deep to sit on trollies and the bench too high to kneel

That's why it's a cowboy's life for me...." 

24 minutes ago, Paul H said:

The main heat source being a Calor Gas Heater 

A Calor Gas heater would not be my choice - it generates too much water vapour which condenses and rusts tools etc.

Dry heat (like your IR heater or a fan heater) is much better.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KevinR said:

A Calor Gas heater would not be my choice - it generates too much water vapour which condenses and rusts tools etc.

Dry heat (like your IR heater or a fan heater) is much better.

Hi Kevin, thanks for Calor Heater info , didnt appreciate condensation factor - Just dug out an old fan heater 

Paul 

The reason why people get condensation in a garage is lack of ventilation.      You bring a wet car, that's a bit warm inside, the water evaporates off and condenses on anything cold, which is everything, unless you heat the garage, 24/7.   But if it's well ventilated, then as the air circulates in and out, the warm damp air is removed and cold dryer air replaces it.    Result, no condensation.

I'm in Lancashire, next to the Lake District, the dampest part of England.  But I get almost no condensation in the garage, and no rust on cars or tools as a result.     The reason is that the garage has ill-fitting doors!   A shed-style side door, with gaps top and bottom, and sliding front doors.  No seals anywhere.

But I can heat it in minutes with my Little Devil butane heater, which must produce a lot of water in the flame as C4H10 goes to Co2 and H20, and there's no more condensate afterwards either!     Ventilate, don't insulate!

John

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnD said:

The reason why people get condensation in a garage is lack of ventilation.

Ventilate, don't insulate!

It's striking a balance between the two!

My last garage was well ventilated but still, under certain atmospheric conditions, I'd walk in and find the walls dark grey with moisture, and all the tools swimming in condensation. If I used the gas heater - one of the Sip Fireball series - moisture would condense on everything then dry off as the air warmed up, but many of the tools and spares were ruined over the years. Cold air just blew through the gaps around the up-and-over doors and out of the rear vents. I've had to get the GT6 chromework rechromed as a result; the front is still excellent but the rear, where it faced the doors, is ruined.

When I converted the roofspace of the old garage last month it was suggested that I fit a 'Ventmaster' which would keep the air circulating but prevent draughts; as part of the house it would be warm enough but without any ventilation at all I would be likely to get black mould as what moisture there was settled in colder areas and promoted fungal growth.

So: you need to keep your garage well ventilated, but warm enough to prevent moisture condensing on metal objects and destroying them.

My garage is attached to the house and is reasonably well ventilated - it also has the boiler and hot water cylinder in the corner (Its a funny shaped space!) and I do have a temperature sensor in their too - its not gone below 6.4'C this year and didn't go below 6.5'C all of last year (27th Jan at 5am as it happens :)  ) 

I must fit a humidity sensor some time and work out the dewpoint. One day!

I'm with John, my garage door has an inch gap at the top and an inch at the bottom. Cold, but never damp. My ancient car only slightly rusted. My neighbour sealed top and bottom, Oh, dear, dripping and damp. 

Self levelling compound is wonderful stuff.

Agreeing with John again (this has to stop!) Lidli are selling workmen's trousers with padded knees for £9.99.

Doug 

On 1/17/2018 at 10:01 PM, Pete Lewis said:

Got one , its lasted longer than my previous ceteck

Yours too? Mine has started playing up - the mode button sometimes works, and more often than not, doesn't.

I e-mailed CTEK customer service and their advice was: bin it, you've got your money's worth out of it and they're not repairable.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:01 PM, Pete Lewis said:

Lidl  also have a rechargeable 'dremmel'  with bits for 17,95

£16.99 in my local, bought one this morning and already used it in anger removing a bath in a bathroom with no power sockets so it's paid for its' keep already.

Interesting to note that out of four on display, all boxes were damaged and in three many of the little bits and accessories were missing. I managed to get one with just a crack to the plastic box lid and all bits present. Didn't see any trickle chargers tho...

• 2 weeks later...

Got talked into going down this evening - LED inspection lamp £4.99, set of 60 sanding sheets for the small sander £3.99. No more Dremels, but a lot of bit kits (if that's the name, the accessory kits for them) at £14.99. I need one that comprises of nothing but small wire brushes, for gently cleaning those hard to reach parts. :o

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2018 at 7:42 PM, mpbarrett said:

Wonderful garage BUT not enough sockets! Think how many you need and then treble it.

+1 on the sockets; when I was getting my garage wired I got five double sockets on one side - where the benches were going - but none on the other side. WHY?????

You learn by your mistakes, at least I do every time I have to string an extension lead across the garage.....

RCD should be fitted to any building away from the main property - I'd be inclined to put two separate ones on - one 100mA one on fixed appliances such as pillar drills and grinders that are on fused spurs and a 30mA one on the general circuits. 

It's a lot of money to insulate it. The walls aren't done either just boarded and painted. Been fine being in there for stints sorting it over this winter so hopefully be ok but I wouldn't be surprise if I end up eating my words in the future and fitting some. Sockets are on a ringmain from a dedicated consumer unit in the garage (not in view). Welder/ compressor will have a separate feed from said unit. So hopefully easy to expand if more sockets required and well protected. There's also more sockets not in view at either end of the garage.