Oil filter quality (lack of it) and request for recommendations

Simon Underwood

a good few cars of the era had a semi loose threaded adaptor twiddled into the block , but in over 50 years of oil changing only had one canister with a defective crimp, the worst leaks came from the Vitesse when i bought her and it had the dreaded two 0  rings down the canister groove and done up by a gorilla

and as for drain back  well its done it for over 40 years and the engines are fine ,its only in the late 70s that flap valves became popular when side mounted filters 

came about 

pete

Aiden, that is a generic pic, probably that filter is the std replaceable element type.

All the spin-on conversions use a 3/4 16 UNF thread (same as the adaptors I imported, because there is such a huge variety available)

Some people had fitted, with varying success, M20 threaded filters. Close to 3/4UNF, but really not worth the risk when the correct thread is easily available.

And indeed filters vary in diameters etc, so to answer your question, you need to get a filter with the correct thread, and the correct seal size. Other than that it is down to available space.

If you want a small filter, try the Mann W77,   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mann-Oil-Filter-Spin-On-Type-Renault-Fuego-136-9-L42-5-122-4-R21-R23-112-20-127/332444155227?hash=item4d67373d5b:g:uYgAAOSws6ZaBRSC  either buy there or it will give you a car -fit list so you can buy anywhere...

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER Katalog Europa/Oil Filter/W 77

(BTW IIRC= if I remember correctly!!)

The small filter will be absolutely fine, it is still bigger than the ones fitted to MX5's etc, and is OE fit to a load of cars. Also very popular with kitcar chaps as it helps with space issues, just like on a 6 cylinder small chassis cars.

Thanks Clive,

Received these today  - They will make it so much easier to fit. I have mine pointing down @ about 20 degrees from vertical and the standard length is difficult to remove due to the oil relief valve housing which just sticks out in the wrong place!

Aidan

Many thanks, Clive, the 3/4" adaptor was easy to fit (once I'd gone out and bought a long reach socket to get the original one off) and the Mann filter you recommended went on with a satisfying number of turns, and Hedwig didn't spit it out like she did with the cheap 'n' nasty ones.

Simon

The last Spit 1500 I owned I too got fed up with the filters on offer and went the  3/4 UNF  adaptor way. Then you have a number of filter makers available and they are the same type as those used on the six cylinder spin-on conversion.

Totally agree with Clive

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I fitted the 3/4" adaptor and the Mann filter, and all seemed well until this morning when the car spat the oil filter off again and covered the driveway in even more oil. There only seems to be 2-3 turns of the filter until it tightens up, and I'm wondering if the threaded mounting should protrude from the block more. Is it meant to have a washer behind it?

The other thing I'm wondering is if the oil pressure relief valve isn't working correctly, which is probably the more likely thing.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Simon

Oil filter should have a relief valve in it too - mind you that will only work if the pressure is inside the filter presumably.

If you suspect the PRV just drop it out - something like a 13/16" spanner - then pull the valve out and spring - should slide out nice and easy. Spring should compress between the fingers a little bit. (Like it will move in a tad, but nothing more.)

I changed the oil on the red spit yesterday, using said 3/4" adaptor and the tall mann filter. Seemed to go on nicely, good few turns etc. And the threaded bit that sticks out the block is something that canno really be altered, maybe a washer under it? But I think oil pressure needs investigating, this is happening when cold so oil is thick, but something odd going on.

18 hours ago, scooter said:

WIX.

Often available from the small non chain retailers or eBay.

very good filters with a following in the States with the Datsun guys,

And Eurotech Honda's title sponsor in the BTCC.

Gully

Fit the filter hand tight. Run the engine and when it is hot re-tighten the filter by hand. Be careful not to burn your hand on the hot parts of the engine.

Never had any problems with the 3/4 adaptors. Ensure any adaptor if fully threaded into the block.

Dave   

What is odd is that Simon explained that the filter only went on 3 threads. I checked all my remaining adaptors, all identical to the one Simon has, plus the one I have just fitted to my Wifes Spitfire. The shoulder means there should be 6-7 turns of thread available. The filter Simon used is identical to the one I have used. 

There is something odd happening, I am waiting to hear what happens with the MGB type filter he is now trying....(same as used on my Zetec conversion, but only a single drain valve like the originals)

The moment of truth will be tomorrow or Sunday. I found a couple of interesting things whilst digging around on the web, though. There's a guy in the States who's put a video on Youtube about fitting an oil filter to his Spitfire, and encountered a lack of available threads when tightening the filter (this was with the 3/4" adaptor), and fitted a 1/4" spacer behind the adaptor to bring it out further. Mind you, he took the adaptor out with an easy out and had clearly left some swarf in it when he screwed the filter on!

Also, Clive, I was looking at the oil filter thread on the CT website that you'd contributed to, and I noticed that one of the contributors to that had had a filter blowing off incident as well, and someone else had screwed the adaptor into the filter first before fitting it to the block, it might even have been the same chap.

My theory, a theory that is mine, etc etc, is that the oil filter fitment after the oil filters with the male fitting ceased to be available is a bit borderline, and modern filters can be a bit of a gamble in some instances depending on the manufacturing tolerances of how far the threaded base is fitted into the canister, which would affect the distance between the hole and the seal. Perhaps the thickness of the seal can vary as well. This doesn't seem to affect the great majority of engines from what I can gather, but mine seems to be one of the ones it does. As an experiment, I put my old oil filter back on, no problems at all.

Watch this space......................... 

Edited by Simon Underwood
typo