oil feed

Guppy916

As a student I was at Uni (Well Polly) and the clutch started to play up and the pedal wouldn't return properly - it was a 1200 VW beetle - so dropped the engine on the hall carpark (After taking off the tow bar which took an hour!) to see what was wrong - couldn't see any issues so went back to the front and found a 2p piece under the pedal stop (Pedals hinge from the floor) - put it all back together and had tea!

9 hours ago, Guppy916 said:

Nick., did you have a full washer or just the half circle type , did you have to have the rear main cap machined ,  I liked the idea of the full bearing , but it,s not easy to replace when warn ,  I really appreciate all your help 

Hello Guppy

I have 3 half made ones at 0.093" thick (I think std are 0.092") and one full circle at 0.125" ready for final sizing

If you want a 0.093" one I will machine the oil slots in it and you can adjust the end float on the front one with the standard type of what ever size you need to get the correct clearance.

I made them from this material

http://alb-copperalloys.com/aluminum-bronze/c62300/

Roger

3 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I was at Uni (Well Polly)

Mark,

Don't be ashamed of Polly! I went to technical college, then Polly then Uni. The government paid for it, but no more! Blair's government said "Education. education, education" So much for that!

Doug

I’m not ashamed of it at all - just most places don’t know what they are - clearly on here most are old enough to remember them ? 

I had a full grant for 2 out of 3 years - the last year I didn’t but got something I think. 

I did get an overdraft facility after the first term cos I was running out of money - it cost me a tenner and I didn’t even use it! Never happened again ! Lesson learned ?

Well Nick you've got the grey matter going there are only a few import 13/60 Heralds here, the 1200 or here 12/50 variant with Vitesse bonnet  was CKD assembled from 62 to 65 by AAMI but after that no subsequent Herald models. NZ has a lot of them but to ship from NZ is as expensive as the UK!

Now locally here in Melbourne ironically there is a rebuilt 3:27 rebuilt GT6 Diff for sale with new  original crown wheel and pinion for $900.

That can go in the Mk2 Vitesse and it's 3:89 into the Spitfire Mk2 with my rebuilt 1500 J Type 3 rail overdrive, that should keep the daughter happy, She loves the 1147 rev-ability, which is a conflict to her past work with GMH here, where she worked on the powertrain of the Commodores including the go faster V8's SS etc, and also the Pontiac V8 7litre conversion of the local Monaro for the US market, ALL long sloggers. She scared the sh*t out of her mum with the latter when taking her on a test drive, we live in a court and she'd have to do a 3 point turn to get around I casually told her to spin it out, for once in her life she did what I told her. We didn't hear the end of it for days!

Peter T

14 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I had a full grant for 2 out of 3 years - the last year I didn’t but got something I think. 

I did get an overdraft facility after the first term cos I was running out of money - it cost me a tenner and I didn’t even use it! Never happened again ! Lesson learned ?

I used to run up a huge overdraft, no idea how* as although my grant was tiny I was working in the Uni bar and playing music four or five nights a week, and that paid quite well.

I'd go home in the summer for ten weeks, work in a local factory and pay it all off, then go back and run it up again.

*I do remember getting a grant of £130 for an entire term, then buying a hi-fi system for £80..... so it was a question of priorities...

15 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I’m not ashamed of it at all - just most places don’t know what they are - clearly on here most are old enough to remember them ? 

Another Poly graduate here! Pretty much a full grant from '88-'91 too. Small £400 overdraft at the end of the final year due to buying my flight to Canada for 6 weeks post-graduation hiking / camping / travelling. Thames Poly wrote to me when they rebranded as University of Greenwich a handful of years after I finished my degree, asking if I would like my degree reallocated to the university - I declined! Polys were all about vocational degrees / qualifications.

Gully

Oh dear.

I bought my first GT6 mk3 last week and I seem to have a similar problem to the OP.

At idle when I start her she sits nicely at an oil pressure of around 60 – 70psi.  Once I've done around 20 miles the oil pressure drops to 20 at idle. Heat seems fine, although she doesn’t like traffic much.

It's only done around 500 miles since the previous owner rebuilt the engine. It’s in it standard form, twin strombergs and as original air and oil filters.

I'm guessing it's head off time this weekend, any tips on what I should be looking for? Layman's version please as I'm probably not as familiar with taking engines apart as you chaps and I'd hazard a guess that I have a fair bit less experience on my side.

So on my list so far are:

Oil Pressure switch

Oil pump

Valve spring stiffness (although I have nothing to compare to as yet)

Cam journal ovality

Anything else?

Any hints or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check on my way home from work and let you know. I'm hoping that you are right and I'm just worrying over nothing. 

I know when I first got my land rover, it took me a little while to become used to all of the noises and what the gauges did or didn't do. This morning I was sure there was more valve noise than when I first collected the vehicle, but then I may be imagining it. 

20 psi at hot idle is fine.  Mine is the same (now done 10k but been like it from the beginning).  I'd prefer another 5 - 10 psi but it is what it is and the engine has taken some pretty aggressive use without issue. Hot idle actually more like 10 psi after 15 minutes on the track.........

Provided the pressure comes smartly as the revs rise and holds at least 40psi at 2k rpm I'd say nothing to worry about.

Nick

Iv'e just been talking the the guy in the machine shop and he said first port of call is the PRV, he said the check the seat in the block,

I also spoke to Chris Witor and he agreed and told me to look at part number 132107 on his site,

He said "Granular debris may become embed into the PRV seat on the engine block preventing the valve from closing

use a shortened 9/16" drill bit as shown to clean the seat"

see photo, so when I get my block back this is my first job

132107_pic2.JPG

Hi Mark, the short drill bit is only required if the engine is still in the car, lack of space ! if the engine is out it don't matter how long it is,

and for all you youngsters reading this thats 14.25 mm (9/16")

I am sure it will because the part number for your (1500) PRV on the Rimmer's web site is 132107 and thats the same part number for my TR6 PRV

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Guppy916 said:

Ah you must be like myself working in both inches and mm, and sometimes a piece of string, what ever is to hand

Hello All

That's when then the errors creep in!

NSA found that out!

But it's fun until you get it wrong!

Roger

• Like 1