Why so cheap?

Darren Groves

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So I have finally fitted this radiator, all fine but as mentioned above the top hose is a bit of a problem. Not a tight fit, but the hose is just too short and whilst you can just about get a jubilee clip on either end it's worrying close to the edge. 

Anyone else fitted one of these reads and had this issue? 

Is there a hose out there with the same ID but longer? 

Darren

Hello Darren,

I looked at your first link - the inlet & diameter size given (30mm) is that OD or ID; I presume OD ??

My suggestion would be silicone hose, for top & bottom, which you can purchase with numerous different ID's and at lengths that suit you.

Could that assist ??

Regards.

Richard.

I believe the problem is that the original hose is corrugated to absorb movement between the engine and radiator and if its replaced with a straight item this forward-backward flexibility will be lost so possibly putting stress on the rad pipe or even the rad mountings. Dont think its going to be easy to find a corrugated hose of exactly the right length.....

Hi,

I have a Golf 40MM wide aluminium one on mine.

The machines that make the cores can do at high output & aluminium sheet is very cheap compared to some metals.

Labour is cheaper in China.

Aluminium is a win-win compared to copper. Coolant choice can confuse.

Cheers,

Iain.

• Like 1

Good call Darren, that's an awful curve to deal with and would not get a satisfactory smooth curve no matter how clever the hose.

Have to say the overall rebuild is looking spot-on.

Regards.

Richard.

6 minutes ago, Darren Groves said:

I reckon even with a flexi-hose it would be an awkward fit at best, so have taken the radiator to a local guy to reposition the top hose connector so it's more inline with the thermostat housing.  Bottom hose fits fine.

Darren

DSC_7501.JPG

That angle is less than ideal.

Long curly hose with a loop would work fine & look Kak. A bit like an engine driven cooling fan.

Reweld the aluminium?  loop looking an easy option.

Cheers,

Iain.

6 minutes ago, Spitfire6 said:

That angle is less than ideal.

Long curly hose with a loop would work fine & look Kak. A bit like an engine driven cooling fan.

Reweld the aluminium?  loop looking an easy option.

Cheers,

Iain.

The guy doing the work is an accomplished fabricator, simple job for him he says and will do for £30....an ugly flexi-hose would be over £10, seemed like an easy decision.

Cheers
Darren