Round Britain Reliability Run

Paul H

Following with interest the Club Triumph Round Britain Reliabilty Run 2018 on Facebook . It’s not for me as I couldn’t stay awake ! and would be a liability . I’d like to think my Vitesse would have  a good go subject to a major catastrophe . I tried to buy a copy of the route through CT and happy to donate but they didn’t bother to reply .

The average speed to be maintained is 42 mph though would love to know what motorway speeds are required to keep up plus other road speeds averages needed. If there are any recommended blogs I’d like to read them and gain more knowledge . I’m following the progress of a GT6 reg XTW 537F which is close to Barnstable on the final leg to Knebworth the sat link is http://188.227.167.42/?key=34619c94-af0d-45ae-af2e-76b60a3b25e7 click the link and monitor progress. There’s only one Vitesse on the run with the majority being the big saloons. 

Paul 

Andy Cook, TSSC GT6 registrar is doing the RBRR in his Dolomite, the Flying Log. His latest blog picture at 10.38 this morning is from Bude in Cornwell. So not long to go. He's done it in a GT6 before, nightmare! He comes to East Berks area meetings, 2nd Tuesday, but he'll probably be sleeping all next week!

db

I've never done this sort of thing - not sure I know what the operating hours is like, but having driven from just north of Barcelona to Calais in about 18hours, (800miles or so) as a solo driver, I can say it is brutal - I had to catch some sleep about 2hours out of Calais as I was flagging - I have also driven from just outside Krakow in Poland to Calais in about the same sort of time, but 2 drivers and a stop at the Carrefour on the Polish side of the German border for supplies, but that was fairly easy going.

We are almost at the finish. Be there at 8pm.

A few minor issues, mainly down to me making unwise adjustment to mixture and timing on Thursday. Corrected that at the start! Also the od solenoid earth wire decided to fracture after about 40 years... That was also fixed.

As to motorway speed, you can do the event easily in a herald. A 948 would be a challenge. An Atlas van has a go a few years ago, would have made it but for a rear wheel bearing failure. 

I am in a team of 3, still not easy but perfectly do-able as someone is always fresh enough to take over. A better event involving triumphs cannot be found. Anywhere. And if you want to see the best triumphs of all types and conditions, come and have a look.

• Like 6

Doug, we finished around the same time. Biggest challenge was finding the entrance to Knebworth! the satnag tried taking us down all sorts of tiny roads that were fenced/gated off (ie the "border" of the knebworth estate, probably on a map somewhere as access roads) But using the Hotel postcode at the proper estate entrance sorted that. 

Must say once we got under way we had no real issues. I didn't need to top anything up at all, though it has dribbled a bit of oil out the fuel pump gasket (and undoubtedly burnt a bit, reckon 1/4 litre will top it up to the high mark) and needed 1/2 pint of coolant when I checked this morning. That looks like a weep on the inlet manifold, not really enough to worry about at the moment.

Many cars had issues, most got fixed, some had to be recovered. But really, a fantastic event. Pictures taken at JOG of many of the cars can be found here http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/8032-2018-club-triumph-at-john-o-groats-picture-heavy/&tab=comments#comment-105988

I seem to be just about fully recovered.  A nice little run has sorted out the issues to do with sitting in a car for 48+ hours and eating service station food.... and a scotch pie!

I need to crawl under the car and do a proper repair on the OD earth wire, and check gearbox/diff oil levels. Engine oil still looks fresh as a daisy and no loss of "body", but that is expected with a high quality oil (millers CSS 20-60, brilliant stuff)

I have done it in our Herald (1300 at the time) and failed in a GT6 (very bad vibration due to new propshaft). Wouldn't do it again as I don't think I can stay awake long enough now.
But great event, I have marshalled at the start for the last 2 runs and its amazing seeing so many mixed Triumphs (130 this year) all lined up ready to go. Really good buzz at the start everyone is fresh and excited.
Its the sort of trip that you should try at least once, but be warned most people quickly get addicted.....

18 hours ago, clive said:

Doug, we finished around the same time. Biggest challenge was finding the entrance to Knebworth! the satnag tried taking us down all sorts of tiny roads that were fenced/gated off (ie the "border" of the knebworth estate, probably on a map somewhere as access roads)

We had the same problem with the satnag at the end. If the "would have been fun in daylight" exit from Turweston hadn't put us off (what with the tiredness) I might have insisted on following the road book approach from the A5 and saved all the hassle, instead of ending up having to figure out where the satnag had got us lost to so that we could find our way back to the route.