distributor

Ian Faulds

does anyone know what the numbers and letters mean on a lucas 25D distributor, I know the numbers stand for amount of advance and retard and mercury readings, and I found out about the week number and year made, but my question is what does the letters stand for at the end eg. 41378B or 41314D etc so whats the A,B CD stand for?

It refers to slight change made to the internals, but not the general spec; so you may have a dizzy for a Herald that has the correct weights and springs, but something has altered from the original model, so if the original is designated 'A', then a slight mod is 'B', the next mod is 'C' and so on. They're all the same mechanically and any of the units with the same main code will fit the same car, but there are slight differences ie the earth cable might be thicker, or the felt in the oil seal slightly thinner; small modifications made by the manufacturer to address issues or save money.

Ian, which car? If changing dizzy, you want one that is meant for a car with identical cam etc. Also if you have a gt6 (pic not that clear on my phone) what will you do about rev counter?

The Vitesse dizzy is a good swap for the gt6mk2/early 3. Not easy to find though. 

And beware the "new" distributors, I am not convinced all are set with the correct advance curves, though somebody claims to setveach one up? Can't remember who though 

Hello Clive. It is a gt6 mk 3. Never started or drove it yet. The deLco remy may be serviceable but the quality of the thing is crap I think its pretty worn. . So I bought one couple years back from a mk 2 triumph 2000. I only paid £20 for it. It's a 25d6. Doesn't have tach drive but I have an electric one anyway. Im way off starting yet but always thinking ahead. I was going to go electronic ignition later but the budget one. 

Yes ive fitted lumenition to mine (its not gone missing ha )  its been fine

Accuspark units are certainly economical cost effective replacements but have no clues on performance or reliability but Seem liked by many a few odd failures over the years on here but nothing adverse and theybare new 

Club do recon your own or supply new via H and H if you want new OE reproduction.

The 2000 mk2 may be a bit flat in a gt6 as late 2000 mk2 were (like mine) de horsed to 88bhp with a flat cam .

But it will work ok for general testing and running .

Pete

I fitted lumenition to my GT6 a good few years back because the shaft was worn to the point where there was 20 deg of scatter on the ignition timing. With the lumenition it's been fine, although the wear in the vacuum advance plate means it's not always consistent on/off throttle.

thanks for all the advice lads, I have just found another distributor also from a mk2 2000  also a 25D. 

Its amazing, I started the gt6 resto 7 years ago, but had to stop with work commitments and family, picked it up again now ive just retired. starting to stir the memory into what ive got and what ive not got, and sorting all the spares out in the garage, great fun. ive got more than I remembered, body off next for more weldies.