Herald starter solenoid

pirate

Hi I bought a new starter solanoid off eBay was listed for Land Rover, triumph etc.

Fitting it today it has an extra spade terminal sited directly under the starter signal spade, on the listing it shows the extra terminal as  power while starting.

as it's wired now with nothing going to this extra terminal it just clicks starter not engaging.

I have messaged the seller today he asked for a photo of the old solanoid but not had any further response.

any ideas?

Extra terminal is for a car fitted with a ballasted coil, so it gets the full 12V supply during cranking for a big fat spark. But just not needed on an unballasted coil ignition.

If the terminals are connected good and tight etc, you can check with a meter or test lamp to see if the solenoid is actually connecting the 2 screw terminals when the key is turned, but assuming you don't have a flat battery (check headlights are good and bright, and if they dim down when you turn ignition key) the new solenoid if duff. 

But why did you change the solenoid? 

1 hour ago, clive said:

Extra terminal is for a car fitted with a ballasted coil, so it gets the full 12V supply during cranking for a big fat spark. But just not needed on an unballasted coil ignition.

If the terminals are connected good and tight etc, you can check with a meter or test lamp to see if the solenoid is actually connecting the 2 screw terminals when the key is turned, but assuming you don't have a flat battery (check headlights are good and bright, and if they dim down when you turn ignition key) the new solenoid if duff. 

But why did you change the solenoid? 

Thanks for the replies will check all connections again I have a test meter.

The car is stripped down for restoring I had been moving it about as the engine is still in, the old solanoid had a starter button I had been having problems and found that the only way to start it was using the button but was hit and miss as it was damaged around the button.

Ive checked all the wiring with the wiring diagram thought it might be the ignition switch but as the new solanoid is clicking it must be ok.

as you say I will check with the meter that power is coming out the other side to the starter motor, I'm thinking it could be a duff solanoid might put the old one back and try that before buying another one.

Thanks again electrics are always frustrating!

Easy to test the starter jump the big terminals with an old screwdriver it shouls with a few sparks cire the starter motor

If the solenoid is clicking  and the above works then its sort of working if the stater doesnt kick in then poor battery poor cables earths 

Or duff new solenoid  

Check ...the solenoid does need its case having a good earth 

Pete

Thank again guys.

I have checked everything and did the screwdriver test, car turns over so looks like a duff solenoid checked for output voltage with meter not getting anything just clicks.

will order another might be worth getting one with a start button?

I've had a couple of the button type solenoids fail with "weak coil" - they would still click when energised but not make the heavy duty contact, but pressing the button would turn the engine over. Presumably the non-button ones fail the same way, it's just that you can't press the button.

My original ones I had to slit the back ends to get them over the wires. The wires are covered anyway so a little exposure there doesn't matter, it's the bare metal terminals need covering. I once dropped a pair of pliers which shorted the solenoid and fired the starter motor, you couldn't do it if you tried. (Always disconnect the battery before working on the engine!) And that's why I have this paranoia.

db