Smiths etc, mechanical oil pressure gauge

daverclasper

Hello Dave,

In fine fettle Smiths gauges (if that is what you have) are generally spot-on provided it has been treated properly.

I would assume that the oil gaps are being replaced by air, which means it is either trapped or getting in somewhere which may also suggest oil is getting out, quite often at the gauge end. The pipe-to-gauge should have a small rubber oil seal - some are leather which prevents seepage.

What does the plastic pipe look like when the engine is running - is it full of oil is the air still there. If the latter the reading will be incorrect IMHO.

Regards.

Richard.

They are not a precision gauge, but generally pretty good. You can check by trying others and swapping with other people. But they are most useful for observing any changes in pressure behaviour...

And remember preesure is not everything, good flow is more important (ie using a thick oil to maintain pressure in a worn engine is not the answer, an engine rebuild is...)

The pipes get air bubbles, not unusual as the bore is small and they can't move. I guess you could try bleeding the pipe, but it won't affect the reading. The pressure will compress the bubbles to the oil pressure, so no issues. 

My rationale is that you can compress a gas (air) to a certain extent quite easily , whereas a fluid (oil) is not so easy - certainly not under the pressure from an engine.

The difference between the two mediums may be minimal, but there will be a difference, depending on the amount of air in the tube. We need a science boffin...……… Clive  !!!!

When I placed an oil pressure gauge in the Vitesse, I went for the s/s pipe option and as such I'm not sighted if it has air within or not - I may well be in the same situation as Dave and Mark.

One point worth mentioning again, you need to ensure you have the pipe-to-gauge seal in situ.

Regards.

Richard. 

I reckon the air pockets will affect changes in pressure to cause slight delays but for practically stable pressure as we generally have in our engines it will make no difference. The air compresses as the oil pressure rises and reaches a point where it just transmits that pressure onto the gauge. The same applies to the tubing which might expand slightly but also reaches a stable state.....

Hi. and thanks.

It's a jauger  gauge. Have pressure of 25 idle/near 60 at 2000 revs, even on very hot days, so that seems good.

It does rattle on start up, even later in the day a bit sometimes (have a Mann filter, tilted downwards).

As it has apparently good pressure, then maybe, ignore, as some very knowledgeable/experienced folk have suggested, or could one or two  bearings be suffering.

No facilities to remove engine and work on it, So could maybe? remove Sump (Vitesse) in situ and replace shells, though prefer not to if it's likely not a issue.

thanks, Dave       

Air may act to slightly damp/delay the reading but won’t affect the steady-state reading.

If there is no air in there it probably means your shoe is about to fill with oil as there is a small leak at the gauge end allowing it to self-bleed.  Guess how I know that......

Accuracy..... simple mechanical gauge and fairly old and unknown history, so who knows without comparing it to a calibrated one. Typically within +/- 5psi if not damaged though.

Nick

Dave, 

I think removing the sump from a Vitesse, in situ, is a bugger of a job IIRC from previous postings when such a mention occurs.

It can be done, but certainly not easy and a real faff to do.

Regards.

Richard.

Like Richard I replaced the oil gauge plastic pipe with an armoured version so I can't see the air bubbles, which is a relief, although I know they're there. But what occurs to me is it's always the same oil, it doesn't move. Until I replaced the pipe the oil in the tube was around 40 years old, I suppose we should drain the tube at oil change time? Or is that a bit OCD?

I've taken the sump off my GT6 to change the bearings (also a bugger of a job!) I can still remember how wet the grass was. And it was a complete waste of time, if the crank's worn the bearings will be worn and new bearings will rapidly be in the same condition as the old. 

Doug

Oil pressure does sound good Dave and goes against the idea that you have worn bearings. My pressure was lower with warning light as the revs dropped at high engine temps in traffic so I changed bearings and pump in situ (Vitesse) - not nice but doable and very successful. However probably the greatest improvement was due, when cold, to choke adjustment and use as I have it set so that I pull it out enough to start but the choke cam opens the throttle butterflies very little so preventing revs high enough to cause rattle....

yes it takes a bit of experimenting, both in the choke mechanism adjustment and also how much to operate it for any given temperature of the engine, but I think its worth it as I cant imagine the rattling does the bearings/crank any good! In fact Ive not thought about it before but wonder if it would be worth fitting one of those Kenlowe engine heater systems to avoid using the choke at all.....

2 hours ago, classiclife said:

My rationale is that you can compress a gas (air) to a certain extent quite easily , whereas a fluid (oil) is not so easy - certainly not under the pressure from an engine.

The difference between the two mediums may be minimal, but there will be a difference, depending on the amount of air in the tube. We need a science boffin...……… Clive  !!!!

When I placed an oil pressure gauge in the Vitesse, I went for the s/s pipe option and as such I'm not sighted if it has air within or not - I may well be in the same situation as Dave and Mark.

One point worth mentioning again, you need to ensure you have the pipe-to-gauge seal in situ.

Regards.

Richard. 

As others have said, pressure in  a "sealed" system is the same throughout. The air will indeed slightly damp the changes in pressure, but in reality I very much doubt it will be noticable, the actual volume of air is so tiny. The air will have been trapped when the gauge was fitted, and just won't really move much....

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

But what occurs to me is it's always the same oil, it doesn't move. Until I replaced the pipe the oil in the tube was around 40 years old, I suppose we should drain the tube at oil change time? Or is that a bit OCD?

Definitely OCD. The oil in that tube may be old, because it never moves, but by exactly the same reasoning it has spent those 40 years tucked safely inside that tube where it won't have suffered. And even if it had, it won't be coming out of the tube to anywhere it would matter.

Several others have already stepped in on Richard's call for a science boffin so I'll just add my agreement with them.

• Haha 1

When you start the car and the pressure rises the bubble should get smaller as the air is compressed. In fact if you knew the pipe diameter and measured the change in bubble size you could calculate the change in pressure.... Just need a camera to monitor it and some image processing to do the calculations..... 

Mike

With years of air and oil in the pipe you could bleed  at  the gauge union but you are most unlikely to get oil in the bourden tube in the gauge it will remain full of  ....air 

And having to calibrate all our test gauges it reads what ever you put in , air or oil  you get the same readings with either 

Pete

As said the Smith gauge is not a precision instrument but is fit for purpose as it's accuracy is well within the operating oil pressure range of an engine. It is often forgotten that changes in both temperature and humidity will alter the calibration of any gauge and speedo. So it could be spot on one day but not on another due to changes in the environment.  

Most used in classic cars are up to 10% accurate. If the engine has low oil pressure, say 30 lb then the maximum the gauge could be out is 3 lb. Therefore it would still tell you the engine has a problem.

Dave   

Mark,

Spot on! They're only there to tell you if something's changed, if something's different from yesterday. My temperature gauge sits at half way, another compatible gauge and sensor might show the temperature at 3/4, it's only a concern if it starts to change.

Doug

• Like 2