Sealey Transmission Jack

Waynebaby

Hi All,

If anybody who is not blessed with a pit or a hoist is considering changing their differential on their own with the car on axle stands I can thoroughly recommend the Sealey TJ150E transmission jack to help you avoid hernias and come out of the end of the job with all fingers intact. The jack made the lowering of the differential today very drama free and the biggest problem was when the two bushes at the rear of the diff wouldn't part company from the chassis no matter how much I pushed, shoved, hammered or swore. In the end a quick squirt with silicone lubricant spray overcame the "stiction" and the diff came out as nature intended under the influence of gravity.

It's not that cheap (£105 off the internet or £50 quid more from Machine Mart) but I reckon that by the time the diff is back in it should have paid for itself in labour costs.

Wayne

IMG_1410.JPG

On 18/12/2018 at 08:39, mpbarrett said:

that has to be better than balancing it on a jack!

22 hours ago, johny said:

hmmm not something I would use very often though, well hopefully😲

That's true to some extent Mike but as Johny says, how often would we really use one? I've had the diff out of the GT6 twice in the same amount of years. Once I fit the diff to the Herald chassis, it's staying there for as long as I can make it. If the car is on its' wheels you only have to raise it six inches or so to get it into the chassis mount, and a jack with a good cup-shaped rubber pad works for me.

You can't beat the old 'lying on your back, diff held in with knees, trying to bend yourself double to get the bolts in place' routine.... 

on old 4 cylinder p6 rovers you could get the gearbox back in by lying down with the gearbox on your chest upside down , lift up and fit to engine, when aligned turn box 180 deg. the box would not fit conventional as the starter housing would foul, but not upside down. great fun, who needs yoga???

i got it to use on the 2000 but with car on my cj full length ramps it was too high to be any use , so yes back to two of us on your back and then think we getting too old for all this 

pinned to the floor with a box on top of you  thinking how to get out from here.

the scissor arrangements are good fold very low extend quite high, , its back to compromise or utopia rules apply 

pete

If you think a Vitesse gearbox is heavy and unwieldy.......... try a Spit 1500 with J-type and iron bell housing!

To help with alignment, take out the two outer studs from the top of the block and replace with 3” bolts with the heads cut off. You want bolts with as much unthreaded shank as possible as you are using them as guide pins to slide the bell housing up towards the engine at the right height and orientation and don’t want threads chewing at the inside of the holes. The only remaining factor is angle. I usually us a trolley jack under the gearbox drain and to improve stability I have a hard-wood block that fits snugly inside the pad on the jack and has a hole in its top face for the drain plug to sit in.

• 1 month later...

When I took the diff out my Vitesse  on my own I used my old black and decker workmate ( 40 yrs old  - best thing I haver ever bought , and not cheap back in the day )as a lowering platform with a scissor jack under the work surface to lower it down. used a similar method to refit it 

Have I missed something?

I have always changed a diff just using a trolley jack, chassis up on stands.

It is a full sized (low entry) jack, so the cup is about 4" diameter, but never had a diff fall off, and moves easily so I can get the rear mounting "ears" in first with the diff at a steep angle, then just keep lifting and it slots in like magic. Really, a proper sized jack makes it very easy....

50 minutes ago, clive said:

I have always changed a diff just using a trolley jack, chassis up on stands.

Exactly how I did mine, last year, Clive - never changed one on a Vitesse before and a doddle to do; removing & refitting.

I really struggled to get my diff off and under those circumstances I was very glad I had more than just a trolley jack to balance it on. The rear mounts just didn't want to come out of the chassis and it took a lot of heaving and hammering before it finally let go. The new diff was a doddle though and I can see how I could have managed that with something much less chunky than my transmission-jack.