Spitfire 1500 Engine- Its running Well again :)

Anglefire

Rest of the bits I ordered have arrived during the week whilst I was working away. 

New studs and flanged nuts to go with the gaskets already here  

I ordered a new thermostat too. Though it hasn’t got the pin in it to aid air release. I assume a small 3mm? Hole should be drilled?

Might get chance to fit it all over the weekend. 

Got it running again this morning.

i replaced the spark plugs with some Bosch ones and also changed the leads. Nothing wrong with the old ones - club ones - but they didn’t feel as if they were holding the plug snug. So I had some other new ones that have a shorter rubber end and you can feel the click as they press home 

started it up but it didn’t really run right. Felt too rich. (Choke on)

so had a mess with the carbs and reset the needle heights and reset the choke idle screws  

restarted and it sounds so much nicer now. Idles lovely and once off choke then idled too high so reset that and reset the choke cams. 

There is a slight leak from the top hose so need to reseat that when it’s cooled down but for now that is it for today. 

Before I run it again I’m going to retorque the head down - don’t what a repeat if I can avoid it ! 

Video doesn’t really do it justice 

• Like 2

Yes I would have said so. 

Which I don’t understand. The only place it can come from is the head gasket I’d have thought? I would have thought any water lying in the exhaust itself would have blown out on the drive. 

The engine weirdly sounds pretty good. 

Is it drinking coolant? If you're seeing that much steam from a head gasket failure then I'd expect the coolant level to drop noticeably. When my Vitesse blew its head gasket the third time (the time it went between a water passage and the bore, rather than between cylinders) it would empty the radiator from full to dry in 20 miles.

I've just been out into the garage and had a look - hard to tell regarding water level - as I know it wasn't brimmed before I went out.

But it is still above the fins.

So I fired it up again. Still sounds pretty good. 

And no steam for some while  not till it warmed up - I would expect it to come out as steam fairly quickly given the temperature in the cylinders?

So, I've done another video - on its side again 🙄

I've topped up the level as well now, so will look when its cooled again. And go for a run at some time - but won't be today as I have to do other things :( 

And it started on the button. No choke either so probably still running a bit rich.

Timing is about right too.

15 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

If you’ve not been far in it it could just be coolant left in the exhaust from the last incident cooking off.

I'm wondering if this is not the reason. 

I have a "cherry" bomb silencer in the middle of the exhaust, which will be full of a fibrous material - and will absorb a fair bit of water I assume. Would also explain why it takes some time to appear.

Had a bit of time to fire up the car this evening. Not taken it for a drive yet but it runs sweet. 

Almost no choke is required when starting it either. Mind you it is quite warm. And it lives in the garage. 

No steam when started up and took a few minutes to start doing it. Water level is to the top of the rad so I’M pretty sure it’s just residue. 

Ill try and get it out on the weekend - early to avoid the masses and give it a blast. 

Hopefully this video is better. In so far as it’s the right way around!

Went out for a run this morning - and after about 2-3 miles the smoke/steam has gone :)

Temp gauge is now slightly below the 1/2 way mark rather than on the 1/2 way - 82'C rather than 88'c - and the oil pressure is a bit better (20/60 oil) and a lot better when idling - about 15psi if the gauge is to be believed and hot - given the idle is around 800rpm I'm happy with that.